what is customary tipping of your porter?

WonderousBlue

We have a family of 4.. I give ten dollars.Makes me feel better that my bags will get where they need to go even if it has no bearing it still gives me piece of mind that I did my part.Ive had a bag lost once and it never showed up.Wasnt any fun.Ruined the trip actually.

Our cruises are a minimum of 2 week cruises. We've never learned the art of packing light, even though we haven't taken tux/gowns, but we still have at least 4 bags....two very heavy ones.

Hubby usually gives $10 for them all, but has given $20 when porters have had to walk pretty far with our bags (usually leaving, and taxi is pretty far away).

I just asked him about the $1 a bag theory and he said that was 40 years ago and that's airport handlers, not luxury cruise line handlers.

Dawn

We have a family of 4.. I give ten dollars.Makes me feel better that my bags will get where they need to go even if it has no bearing it still gives me piece of mind that I did my part.Ive had a bag lost once and it never showed up.Wasnt any fun.Ruined the trip actually.

Same here. Family of 4. Usually 3 or 4 bags. We give $10

We usually have 4 very large bags for extended cruises, and tip the porter $20.00 to handle them. Don't really feel we are over-tipping, feel this is about right for the 65-70 lb bags. (I wouldn't want to be schlepping 'em!)

tnt

You know that these guys are longshoremen union workers who are paid very well. Some of them are working overtime and getting around $70.00/hour when getting time and a half. They are paid by the Port and RCCL via Port rental fees.

I generally tip $5 for our two or three bags and more if they unload and assist me in assembling DWs scooter.

Conversely, last year on the Allure, we got off the hotel shuttle, unloaded our bags and stood there waiting for a porter to take our bags. After about ten minutes and no porters came to help us, I loaded our bags on the luggage rack and tipped myself $10.00.

Our bags got to our cabin just fine.

In Miami, there are signs in the embarkation area that tips are not necessary.

I, as most of us know, you don't have to tip, but for some people, like me, it makes me feel better. Last year my family of 21 people when on a cruise on the Oasis, I tipped the porter very well and our bags were at our cabins a few minutes after 1pm when they let us go to the cabins. I know that the tips most likely had nothing to do with us getting our bags quickly, but it still made me feel good about it.:)

You know that these guys are longshoremen union workers who are paid very well. Some of them are working overtime and getting around $70.00/hour when getting time and a half. They are paid by the Port and RCCL via Port rental fees.

I generally tip $5 for our two or three bags and more if they unload and assist me in assembling DWs scooter.

Conversely, last year on the Allure, we got off the hotel shuttle, unloaded our bags and stood there waiting for a porter to take our bags. After about ten minutes and no porters came to help us, I loaded our bags on the luggage rack and tipped myself $10.00.

Our bags got to our cabin just fine.

In Miami, there are signs in the embarkation area that tips are not necessary.

I absolutely agree with you. Once, I stopped my car, and unloaded at he curb, still no one helped. A half empty cart was there within feet, so I just placed my luggage on it, and moved on. Some others did the same. I just did not wait 10 minutes!

Secondly, I might think there is a difference between embarking and debarking. Embarking, I believe they are ship loaders, which make them longshoreman.

Debarking, I think, the people that will take your luggage out to the car, might be porters. Not sure. I always need help, so I use them, and tip them. Since they carry my bags, take me through customs, and follow me to my car, help load my car, they get a tip.

So I think there is a difference with some. Most times now, I will just put my luggage in the basket, unless someone is running toward me to help. It's funny, but most times they just watch. Less work for them!!!!

I generally tip the porter that handles my bags at check in $5.00. However, on return the porter spends much more time waiting for and handling my bags, I generally tip $10.00. They also know a few port secrets to get you cleared faster, as I mentioned in another post. The customs line was very long but my porter knew there was another customs station around a corner with only a couple of people in line.