Ships that were upgraded since the Triumph fire?

KansasK

Has anyone heard which Carnival ships have had the electrical distribution systems upgraded since what happened on the Triumph when all electrical systems went down due to the fire? I know they said they were going to do this.

it is supposed to be done in coordination of drydock for each ship since they announced that's what they'd do.

i know that shortly after that announcement, they have strapped CAT generators to most / all ships. there's plenty of evidence of that in pictures.

i don't know how to categorically or factually answer your question though. and i haven't been following which ships went in to drydock and came out with or without the upgrades, and whether they still have the portable generators or not. and i haven't seen any press releases, etc. along the same lines.

i know for sure triumph was supposed to get it during its drydock, and sunshine, in its extended drydock, which was happening at about the same time.

good question, though. i'd be interested to know this myself, just out of curiosity.

Has anyone heard which Carnival ships have had the electrical distribution systems upgraded since what happened on the Triumph when all electrical systems went down due to the fire? I know they said they were going to do this.

Falkcor is right, they were going to coordinate this with the drydockings, the portable CAT generators were a stop gap until drydocking. You could see which ships still have CATs on them to tell whether they were updated.

The Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, Sunshine and Inspiration were all docked in 2013, not sure which were pre or post Triumph.

The Elation is docking in a couple weeks, Ecstasy in October, Freedom and Legend have docked earlier this year, Pride goes in Oct/Nov to get scrubbers for Baltimore.

The majority of the remaining ships are scheduled for 2015.

Falkcor is right, they were going to coordinate this with the drydockings, the portable CAT generators were a stop gap until drydocking. You could see which ships still have CATs on them to tell whether they were updated.

The Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, Sunshine and Inspiration were all docked in 2013, not sure which were pre or post Triumph.

The Elation is docking in a couple weeks, Ecstasy in October, Freedom and Legend have docked earlier this year, Pride goes in Oct/Nov to get scrubbers for Baltimore.

The majority of the remaining ships are scheduled for 2015.

so are you saying this work has been done, or is there an assumption that it is done due to the dry dock. Have those generators been removed? More importantly, were they ever actually attached?

so are you saying this work has been done, or is there an assumption that it is done due to the dry dock. Have those generators been removed? More importantly, were they ever actually attached?

Unless you work for Carnival or Grand Bahamas shipyard, you won't know for sure whether the work has been done or not, it's not something that Carnival or any line would announce. I would assume that the generators were removed on ships that had the upgrades, as they are leased, so keeping them longer than required is bad business. I started a thread about whether the CATs were ever connected several months ago, and received photos of several ships where the cabling was installed, so I would not guess that they went to the expense of running cables just to have them look pretty for PR.

Unless you work for Carnival or Grand Bahamas shipyard, you won't know for sure whether the work has been done or not, it's not something that Carnival or any line would announce. I would assume that the generators were removed on ships that had the upgrades, as they are leased, so keeping them longer than required is bad business. I started a thread about whether the CATs were ever connected several months ago, and received photos of several ships where the cabling was installed, so I would not guess that they went to the expense of running cables just to have them look pretty for PR.

I would have thought being what they went through, they'd be shouting what they have upgraded. And because of the lack of info, I'm still stuck at only Sunshine and Triumph being upgraded.

I can tell you that I know that they are attached on the Pride, Splendor and Freedom and Victory.

Did you have a voltage meter with you? Or did someone show you how and where it was connected?

Really? While I'm no fan or basher of Carnival, the reason I started the thread about them being connected a while back was to see if it was just a PR exercise or not. While sticking the CATs onboard might have been a fairly expensive PR exercise, if that is what they wanted, I really don't see them paying for an installation crew, taking the required cabins out of inventory for the crew, and doing deck and bulkhead penetrations (cutting and welding) just to run some cables for looks.

I would also venture to say that one reason that Carnival announced the upgrades was that the classification society was requiring it. If that is the case, then they would be required to do the upgrades at the first drydocking.

Carnival wants the whole thing to disappear, so why would they bring up the Triumph fire again? They know that the cruising public rarely thinks about safety unless there has been a big headline problem. So their thinking is to let sleeping dogs lie. Triumph was over 18 months ago, which is a lifetime in American's memories, and to the media.

Really? While I'm no fan or basher of Carnival, the reason I started the thread about them being connected a while back was to see if it was just a PR exercise or not. While sticking the CATs onboard might have been a fairly expensive PR exercise, if that is what they wanted, I really don't see them paying for an installation crew, taking the required cabins out of inventory for the crew, and doing deck and bulkhead penetrations (cutting and welding) just to run some cables for looks.

I would also venture to say that one reason that Carnival announced the upgrades was that the classification society was requiring it. If that is the case, then they would be required to do the upgrades at the first drydocking.

Carnival wants the whole thing to disappear, so why would they bring up the Triumph fire again? They know that the cruising public rarely thinks about safety unless there has been a big headline problem. So their thinking is to let sleeping dogs lie. Triumph was over 18 months ago, which is a lifetime in American's memories, and to the media.

I don't know. I watch Titanic at every flip of the channel from all different angles. And that was a little more than 18 months ago.

It's just that onion sandwiches and tent cities don't keep up public interest I presume.

But I'm fascinated every time this topic comes up. Its just a message board to pass some time.

But even more so, personal safety. I'm the one conducting my own fire drills and counting doors to passages and stairwells.

Edited by TPFKAH

Did you have a voltage meter with you? Or did someone show you how and where it was connected?

I could see the wires running from the cat into the ship. I also saw them testing it in the Splendor in Nassau with it running and people with two radios ensuring things were working as expected. At least part of the team was from an outside company. I talked to one regarding what they were doing and he said it was regular maintenance. He said that his team went from ship to ship ensuring everything was working as expected.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Thanks for all the replies and information. I am going to look for chengkp75's thread since it sounds like there are pictures.

Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2010659

These are photos of the "CAT in the Box" generators which were interim fixes until the final modifications could be done in drydock.

I could see the wires running from the cat into the ship. I also saw them testing it in the Splendor in Nassau with it running and people with two radios ensuring things were working as expected. At least part of the team was from an outside company. I talked to one regarding what they were doing and he said it was regular maintenance. He said that his team went from ship to ship ensuring everything was working as expected.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I'll take that as a no.