Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

Because it is unfair and the fact that you believe it is does mean it is.

Not sure how you calculate the percentages, do you know the base salaries of the staff.

Seven seas, Swan Hellenic and Royal Caribbean are advertising in the Blue Horizons November 2014 brochure to fully include these gratuities in their base price.

Royal Caribbean must be aware of the issue it poses in imposing gratuities as is has been having an offer where these are included along with the overpriced drinks packages.

Have you contacted Royal Caribbean directly with your complaint? That might be more productive than just complaining about it here.

I'm glad you thought your waitress was outstanding, but if you intend to 'redistribute' then it begs the question who are you going to remove them from? Who did you think gave service that was poor such that you wouldn't want to give them the suggested gratuity?

No one necessarily didn't deserve their full tip however if I can redistribute in a way I see fair I will we have also decide on an extra $250 for tips this year as a pose to $200

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just not sure why you always remove them if you intend to pay them anyway? We have always received excellent service but if we did not, I believe that there are better ways to deal with such a problem and auto-tips, or pre-paying tips, simply removes one more issue to deal with at the end of our cruise. Most often we end up giving our wait staff and room steward an additional gratuity but not having to scramble to obtain the appropriate denominations of cash for the tips is extremely convenient.

Not sure why it bothers you as to what we do.

I always have my tips put on when I book and then bring paper and envelopes to write

notes to staff , and add extra , but only for those that are doing a good job .My idea of a good job is , room clean , a smile and hello when they see me , wait staff right food , and a smile and hello when they see me . So I am not high maintenance .

I just read on here a post about having the tips removed and paying at the end may cause not so great of service by the steward. Really??? Has anyone actually experienced that? I would feel to be the opposite honestly. Do a great job and get a wonderful tip at the end. If they do a not so great job then I would think at that point people would try to stiff them. Im wondering if anyone has actually experienced this??

Hi there...new to CC. We've cruised with DCL 6 times since 2011 and booked our first RCL cruise (Allure) for early next year. I've been reading a lot of info but have yet to post. So I admit I don't have the experience that most of you have. So I do appreciate the replies to the OPs.

I understand that gratuity topics are always a heated argument. However, the OP's question (quoted above) is, generally, whether anyone has experienced any change in service when auto tips are removed. At least this is what I surmised from it. I don't think the OP was asking if they should or should not remove the auto tip. Basically, if someone has done it, were they treated differently by the crew?

I would be interested in hearing stories about the service they received. When DCL didn't have auto tips, it was essentially the same idea where the crew members didn't know whether they were going to receive gratuities or not. Although it may be a different scenario, I found that the crew members were very accommodating and pleasant. Obviously, this would not be a reply to the OP since my experience is with DCL and I had not specifically removed the auto-tip.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing the experience of other's who have done this. I think the thread may have gone off topic since the majority of the posts have argued whether or not one should bother removing the tips....which is not what the OP asked.

We NEVER auto tip. We ask for it not to be put on at time of booking but it always is and I have to go to desk to remove. In the past 3 or 4 years since rccl started them we've ate in the MDR a total of ZERO times WIFEY AND MYSELF ALWAYS EAT IN THE SPECIALTY RESTRAUNTS WHICH HAVE THIER OWN TIPS PLUS WE LEAVE EXTRA EVERYNIGHT AS FAR AS OUR CABIN STEWART I START THE WEEK OFF WITH A HELLO AND $20 in his hand this ensures my extra towels ice chocolates and what nots Plus he or she gets the usual tip at the end plus extra is everything was good which all but one time in 14 cruises has been. Auto tips are fine if you like them but there's nothi wrong with the old fashion money in Palm way

We NEVER auto tip. We ask for it not to be put on at time of booking but it always is and I have to go to desk to remove. In the past 3 or 4 years since rccl started them we've ate in the MDR a total of ZERO times WIFEY AND MYSELF ALWAYS EAT IN THE SPECIALTY RESTRAUNTS WHICH HAVE THIER OWN TIPS PLUS WE LEAVE EXTRA EVERYNIGHT AS FAR AS OUR CABIN STEWART I START THE WEEK OFF WITH A HELLO AND $20 in his hand this ensures my extra towels ice chocolates and what nots Plus he or she gets the usual tip at the end plus extra is everything was good which all but one time in 14 cruises has been. Auto tips are fine if you like them but there's nothi wrong with the old fashion money in Palm way

I guess you never eat in the buffet? If you do, do you leave a tip?

I guess you never eat in the buffet? If you do, do you leave a tip?

Before auto-tipping buffet service was never in the recommended tip pool. Did they work for free before?

That guest you are responding to is only selecting from the options laid out by Royal. Each person may have his or her preference, but if choosing from any available option, one can't be "wrong"

According to Webster Dictionary, a gratuity is: 1. A gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip. 2. Something given without claim or demand.

As someone who worked many years in the restaurant industry as a server, I was paid a wage (which I agreed to) and I *hoped* for a tip from the people I served. The wage was very low and the tips are definitely what I depended on to pay my bills. However, I understood that the gratuity (or tip) was SOMETHING GIVEN WITHOUT CLAIM OR DEMAND. No one "owes" a gratuity to a server. Everyone who works on the ship does so AFTER negotiating their salary. They are under contract. No matter what kind of service they provide, they will receive the amount of money THEY negotiated. The gratuity that every passenger does (or doesn't) give serves to supplement their wage.

In my opinion, a gratuity should be given when the service is above what is considered "acceptable". For this reason, I prefer to take my gratuities off and I tip based on the service I receive. It does not take a lot of time to remove the gratuity - generally 5 minutes or so - because I don't go when there's a long line. I wait until there's no line, then I approach the desk and handle my business. **NOTE: I handle MY BUSINESS. Not YOUR business, mine - all mine. It's none of YOUR business when, how or if I pay gratuities.**

My second point is, how did so many of you get appointed to be the "Tip Police" and where do you get your information??? "Everyone who removes the auto-tip is trying to be cheap" ~ Really??? You don't know that, that's your opinion(s) and I can only assume you espouse that opinion because you are cheap and unless someone "threatens" you or spells out exactly what you should do, you will do nothing. You haven't the ability to think for yourself. Right?

My last point is, to the original poster, please remember that in the auto-tip function, there is nothing set aside for the kids activities servers. If your kiddos go to these activities and have fun, please remember to tip accordingly. icon7.gif

To all, have a great cruise. I know we will!!! icon10.gif

Where did you eat lunch and breakfast?

Well said, JeepLovers.

I could not have said it any better. Been wondering when someone would post the definition of the word "Gratuity". This thread surely did need a clarification of that word. I have always believed that a gratuity is given not demanded.

Karon

According to Webster Dictionary, a gratuity is: 1. A gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip. 2. Something given without claim or demand.

As someone who worked many years in the restaurant industry as a server, I was paid a wage (which I agreed to) and I *hoped* for a tip from the people I served. The wage was very low and the tips are definitely what I depended on to pay my bills. However, I understood that the gratuity (or tip) was SOMETHING GIVEN WITHOUT CLAIM OR DEMAND. No one "owes" a gratuity to a server. Everyone who works on the ship does so AFTER negotiating their salary. They are under contract. No matter what kind of service they provide, they will receive the amount of money THEY negotiated. The gratuity that every passenger does (or doesn't) give serves to supplement their wage.

In my opinion, a gratuity should be given when the service is above what is considered "acceptable". For this reason, I prefer to take my gratuities off and I tip based on the service I receive. It does not take a lot of time to remove the gratuity - generally 5 minutes or so - because I don't go when there's a long line. I wait until there's no line, then I approach the desk and handle my business. **NOTE: I handle MY BUSINESS. Not YOUR business, mine - all mine. It's none of YOUR business when, how or if I pay gratuities.**

My second point is, how did so many of you get appointed to be the "Tip Police" and where do you get your information??? "Everyone who removes the auto-tip is trying to be cheap" ~ Really??? You don't know that, that's your opinion(s) and I can only assume you espouse that opinion because you are cheap and unless someone "threatens" you or spells out exactly what you should do, you will do nothing. You haven't the ability to think for yourself. Right?

My last point is, to the original poster, please remember that in the auto-tip function, there is nothing set aside for the kids activities servers. If your kiddos go to these activities and have fun, please remember to tip accordingly. icon7.gif

To all, have a great cruise. I know we will!!! icon10.gif

You spoke my mind !! Thanks for that !

We have heard so many rumors from waiters, cabin stewards and other employers, how RCI distributes the gratuities.

As long as Royal Caribbean does not provide full transparency how, how much and to whom they distribute the automatic gratuities, I'm not willing to put my money into a black hole !

I agree, removing the auto tips means you are a cheapo.

That is not true. You can not assume to know a person's reason for removing auto-gratuity. Everyone's situation is different. Here is the reason why I would:

I do not use credit. At all. I pay EVERYTHING with cash (using my debit card). I have direct deposit go straight into a separate account that I have earmarked for vacations. As it just so happens, my pay day hit at the end of my cruise on Day 5 of 7. Being my first cruise, there were A LOT of expenses that cropped up that I did not account for: booking an extra excursion, pics & video from said excursion, taxis at port, food at port, the end of cruise video, arcade fees, alcohol in the Crypt, etc. Just things I didn't pre-plan for. So, I either have to transfer funds from other accounts and keep a memory of it to transfer back or reduce my cruise spending. I don't like to messy my accounts, so I reduced my cruise spending. I would have visited some of the specialty dining or let my kids stay at late night party night or purchased nicer souvenirs, etc., but my direct deposit hit my vacation account on Day 5....and by then, most of the cruise was over. Being able to pay gratuities at the end would have been more convenient for me and given me greater flexibility in my spending on the cruise. I was paying gratuities for 4 (myself and 3 children). And yes, I did tip over the auto pay amount because my room attendant was UH-MAZING! For our upcoming cruise, I will be better prepared.

Paying up front or paying at the end....I don't see why it's of concern to anyone other than the person paying it.

Because it's called "gratuity" out of habit and tradition, but it's really a daily service charge. Eventually, they will title it correctly. The "gratuity" or "tip" is what you would add at the end of the cruise, or during each day, for exceptional service.[/quot

No it's called a Gratuity so you can remove,what should not have been collected up front in the first place.It will be a service charge when Royal Caribbean says it is,not when you say it is.Their plan is to hide the real cost of the cruise.If half the people pay it,and tip extra.They are still ahead of the game.Tips are given not taken.

Edited by caribbean sailor

• 4 weeks later...
I don't mind the "auto" gratuities while we are cruising, I just mind RCI making you pre-pay the gratuities before final payment. My TA said that since first and second seatings were unavailable, we had to sign up with MTD and be waitlisted on first seating. With MTD, gratuities had to be pre-paid. A couple months later, first seating became available. I've read from other boards about this happening to others and feel this is RCI's way of making sure they get gratuities. We have always given more than the minimum, but we would rather use our OBC to pay the gratuities than have to pre-pay months before we even step on board!

I just booked a cruise for my family - 3 cabins. We are sailing in 8 months. I was told that early and late seating is sold out that we have to take any time dining. I was charged $864 in tips for a 9 day cruise - non refundable. What if we have awful service. We always tip but feel RC are being pushy with their customers. Can't believe the ship is that full already.

I just booked a cruise for my family - 3 cabins. We are sailing in 8 months. I was told that early and late seating is sold out that we have to take any time dining. I was charged $864 in tips for a 9 day cruise - non refundable. What if we have awful service. We always tip but feel RC are being pushy with their customers. Can't believe the ship is that full already.

You might be able to get on a wait list for traditional dining. If you do clear the wait list, you can remove the prepaid tips.

You are not charged for tips till FP, you have many months to go.

I would cancel if you are worried about service for a cruise that has not happened

You might be able to get on a wait list for traditional dining. If you do clear the wait list, you can remove the prepaid tips.

Thank you - I will give that a try. My main problem is our grown son has celiac's disease so we like to have a set table with the same waiter each night. Saves explaining to someone new each evening.

You are not charged for tips till FP, you have many months to go.

I would cancel if you are worried about service for a cruise that has not happened

To cancel is bad advice and a little drastic. We have sailed on many cruises and sometimes the steward or waiters are not that great - I am not expecting that on this cruise. I don't appreciate being forced to pay $864.00 in tips before I sail - that is not unreasonable.

To cancel is bad advice and a little drastic. We have sailed on many cruises and sometimes the steward or waiters are not that great - I am not expecting that on this cruise. I don't appreciate being forced to pay $864.00 in tips before I sail - that is not unreasonable.

Who is forcing you?