Crusining from NY October -- is it safe?

Legion103

It's always "safe" or they wouldn't sail. The weather is whatever it is. We can't know. We've cruised out of NJ/NY and MD in March, April and Nov and we've had smooth seas and rough ones, but we have never been in danger. It's completely unpredictable until a few days out at most.

Edited by BND

Legion - rough seas can and do happen at any time of year. The seas are affected by frontal systems, winds, storms, etc. You could have very smooth sailing or some rougher waters - there is just no way to know. My roughest sailings have been in the Spring. But as others have said - the Captain is not going to put you or the ship in danger.

Bermuda will be cool, probably too cool to go into the ocean.

Nope, have to disagree with you on this.;):) We've been to Bermuda numerous times in Oct. and late Oct. at that. The weather has always been very warm and the water warm as well. Now, in the beginning of the season, like May, it will be on the cooler side and the water has not warmed up yet.

OP, as far as rough seas, the worst I ever encountered was after leaving Key West for the way home this past Feb. Much more severe than anything ever on the way to or from Bermuda.:eek:

Edited by iheartbda

Been sailing in Oct. for a few years and it has never been a problem. Occasionally you might run into heavy seas and the ship might be a rockin and a rollin for a while but nothing the ship can't handle. Its actually a good time of year to cruise.

Sailed on Brilliance of the Seas, and departed from Cape Liberty on Nov 2nd, 2012...four days after Hurricane Sandy hit NYC!

There were lots of questions in the lead up to the cruise...NYC was a mess - hard to get around, tunnels, bridges and subways closed, and we had to change our plans to get to Cape Liberty...some of our roll call mates cancelled due to damage to their homes or due to the uncertainty of whether or not they'd be able to get there (all airports were closed at one point...I think Newark reopened on Nov 1st).

But in the end, the cruise itself was fabulous! The hurricane had gone off to sea, and all was good. I think the greatest risk is that a hurricane hits NYC within 48hrs of your scheduled departure.

Sailed on Brilliance of the Seas, and departed from Cape Liberty on Nov 2nd, 2012...four days after Hurricane Sandy hit NYC!

There were lots of questions in the lead up to the cruise...NYC was a mess - hard to get around, tunnels, bridges and subways closed, and we had to change our plans to get to Cape Liberty...some of our roll call mates cancelled due to damage to their homes or due to the uncertainty of whether or not they'd be able to get there (all airports were closed at one point...I think Newark reopened on Nov 1st).

But in the end, the cruise itself was fabulous! The hurricane had gone off to sea, and all was good. I think the greatest risk is that a hurricane hits NYC within 48hrs of your scheduled departure.

Are you sure? Since when did Brilliance sail out of Cape Liberty?

Anyway, to answer the original query, it will always be safe. Whether or not you hit rough seas depends on if there is a hurricane in the area. No way to predict that now. We've sailed to Bermuda a number of times from Bayonne - prefer September but have gone as early as late May (too cold to swim but a sunburn is achievable) to early November. I think that was the sailing we caught the tail of a hurricane on the last night heading home so it was a bit rough but not awful.

Are you sure? Since when did Brilliance sail out of Cape Liberty?

Anyway, to answer the original query, it will always be safe. Whether or not you hit rough seas depends on if there is a hurricane in the area. No way to predict that now. We've sailed to Bermuda a number of times from Bayonne - prefer September but have gone as early as late May (too cold to swim but a sunburn is achievable) to early November. I think that was the sailing we caught the tail of a hurricane on the last night heading home so it was a bit rough but not awful.

I can confirm that cruise on the Brilliance as I was on it as well, it was a repositioning.

Have cruised out of Bayonne a few times in October and November and always have had good weather and seas, Bermuda is very nice this time of year!

Yes, in the fall of 2012, Brilliance of the Seas did a series of New England and Canada cruises...longer sailings...some went all the way up to Quebec City and Newfoundland.

The Nov 2, 2012 sailing I was on was the repositioning: eight nights, Cape Liberty to San Juan, with stops in St Kiits, St Maarten, Tortolla and St Thomas. My favourite itinerary ever!

Nope, have to disagree with you on this.;):) We've been to Bermuda numerous times in Oct. and late Oct. at that. The weather has always been very warm and the water warm as well. Now, in the beginning of the season, like May, it will be on the cooler side and the water has not warmed up yet.

OP, as far as rough seas, the worst I ever encountered was after leaving Key West for the way home this past Feb. Much more severe than anything ever on the way to or from Bermuda.:eek:

My experience exactly. We always sail in late October from NJ, & Bermuda is gorgeous this time of year. One time it was even in the 90s there, but usually low 80s when we've gone! Going again in 32 days. I heart Bermuda also!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The latest we've sailed to Bermuda out of NY/NJ was Oct 10. The weather coming and going was ideal. The seas were as smooth as glass. HOWEVER!!!!!!! The weather and condition of the seas is a total crap shoot. We've sailed out on NY/NJ in July and the seas were much, much rougher then when we've sailed out of NY/NJ in February. The season (and ambient air temperature) is not in correlation with the condition of the sea. Back to Bermuda.....mid Oct is quite comfortable, still warm but much lower humidity, and the water is fine for swimming. (My opinion, anyway)

Seas can be iffy anytime.

The times we have sailed to Bermuda from NY, have been smooth.

Bermuda has great weather September and through mid Oct.

For us, there is no comparison between Bermuda and the Bahamas. Bermuda is just beautiful. :)

Edited by janetz

Yes, in the fall of 2012, Brilliance of the Seas did a series of New England and Canada cruises...longer sailings...some went all the way up to Quebec City and Newfoundland.

The Nov 2, 2012 sailing I was on was the repositioning: eight nights, Cape Liberty to San Juan, with stops in St Kiits, St Maarten, Tortolla and St Thomas. My favourite itinerary ever!

SensFan11

Do you recall how many days into your cruise when it was warm enough for shorts ? We are leaving from NY in October and just trying to decide what to pack in terms of clothing. We are also fro Ontario so I know starting out it will be cool.

SensFan11

Do you recall how many days into your cruise when it was warm enough for shorts ? We are leaving from NY in October and just trying to decide what to pack in terms of clothing. We are also fro Ontario so I know starting out it will be cool.

It depends on individual tastes and what climate you're accustom to! ;)

As you're also from Ontario, as I recall by the afternoon of "Day 2" (e.g. the day after you sail away from New York) it was warm enough for shorts.

Noel

SensFan11

I've cruised out of NJ and the weather was warmer in October than May.

People were in the pool the first sea day. Even on the last sea day I was in the pool on a couple of cruises.