Booked Crown out of LA

wrongwaywatson

We booked the Crown out of LA for 3/28/15. Our previous 7 cruises have been booked within 60 days of cruising, so this far out is kind of strange for me! LOL We are doing the Mexico route this time, all of our previous ones have been in the Caribbean, so we are really living wild on this one!

How does the Western side of Mexico compare to the Caribbean stops?

We booked the Crown out of LA for 3/28/15. Our previous 7 cruises have been booked within 60 days of cruising, so this far out is kind of strange for me! LOL We are doing the Mexico route this time, all of our previous ones have been in the Caribbean, so we are really living wild on this one!

How does the Western side of Mexico compare to the Caribbean stops?

IMHO, it is quite different. The water tends to colder which can limit some activities such as snorkeling . The seas also tend to be a little rougher on way up north since you are going against the current. I do like Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and I am looking at when I could book a cruise back there. An item on my bucket list is to do the ultimate balcony dinner in Cabo on an overnight. My plan is to have a port side cabin so that I will have a view of the arch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

IMHO, it is quite different. The water tends to colder which can limit some activities such as snorkeling . The seas also tend to be a little rougher on way up north since you are going against the current. I do like Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and I am looking at when I could book a cruise back there. An item on my bucket list is to do the ultimate balcony dinner in Cabo on an overnight. My plan is to have a port side cabin so that I will have a view of the arch.

Good luck getting an overnight in Cabo!

Good luck getting an overnight in Cabo!

Actually I have seen a few cruises on Princess that have planned overnights there . In fact our first "trial" Princess cruise was on a 10 day on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco which included an overnight there . I ended up switching the cruise to one with a departure out of Galveston with a Western Caribbean itinerary because we wanted to compare Princess fairly our previous preferred cruise line. I think they do have an itinerary in the 2016 season that includes an overnight , but I will have to double check.

Actually I have seen a few cruises on Princess that have planned overnights there . In fact our first "trial" Princess cruise was on a 10 day on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco which included an overnight there . I ended up switching the cruise to one with a departure out of Galveston with a Western Caribbean itinerary because we wanted to compare Princess fairly our previous preferred cruise line. I think they do have an itinerary in the 2016 season that includes an overnight , but I will have to double check.

Those are very few and between, which is a shame. I would jump on it! I'll check on this as well. I'll come back here with the results. I know the 50th anniversary cruise on the Pacific late next year does an overnight in Cabo...

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Those are very few and between, which is a shame. I would jump on it! I'll check on this as well. I'll come back here with the results. I know the 50th anniversary cruise on the Pacific late next year does an overnight in Cabo...

Actually, sadly, no. We overnight in Puerto Vallarta, not Cabo.

Well, that would be nice too! I'd love to do the Las Caletas excursion at night!

Hmm. I'm not a fan of ocean swimming at night [remember the opening scene of Jaws?!] but Las Caletas is definitely on my list for a daytime excursion. It'll be interesting once they open up to see what's on offer for that night. The sparkling nightlife of PV seems like something that ended in the 1960s . . . .

Hmm. I'm not a fan of ocean swimming at night [remember the opening scene of Jaws?!] but Las Caletas is definitely on my list for a daytime excursion. It'll be interesting once they open up to see what's on offer for that night. The sparkling nightlife of PV seems like something that ended in the 1960s . . . .

I loved Las Caletas during the day but at night I think they have a spectacular show.. I just can't remember the specifics... but I've always wanted to do this. Check it out when you have the chance.

I loved Las Caletas during the day but at night I think they have a spectacular show.. I just can't remember the specifics... but I've always wanted to do this. Check it out when you have the chance.

I have heard several recommendations for this now. I wonder if Princess does an excursion.

Mexican side is no comparison to the Caribbean. The beaches aren't as nice and the water not as clear and warm. I doubt you will be going to Cabo. It can be cold until you get to Cabo, LA is cold that time of year. I have been 3 times just because the port is a drive away but I wouldn't go out of my way to sail the Mexican "Riviera"

Mexican side is no comparison to the Caribbean. The beaches aren't as nice and the water not as clear and warm. I doubt you will be going to Cabo. It can be cold until you get to Cabo, LA is cold that time of year. I have been 3 times just because the port is a drive away but I wouldn't go out of my way to sail the Mexican "Riviera"

Why say something so negative... you may not like it, but many other cruisers love it, including me...

As for Cabo, OP is going in 2015... I think it'll be back.

As For the cold temperatures until Cabo, again, you're wrong... first of all, the cruise stops first in Puerto Vallarta...

OP, this cruise is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

I have cruised both routes several times. They are totally different. The Caribbean route goes to others places besides Mexico, so you get more variety. The Caribbean water is warmer and really blue. The snorkeling, or any water activity, is fantastic. As for the Mexican Rivera cruise, it is three stops in Mexico. Not necessarily a bad thing, just less variety. In March the weather can be cool for the beginning and last day of the cruise. Also Cabo May be cool. So water activities may be out. Cabo is not one of my favorite stops. To me it is boring. Other than the beach and shopping there is not much to do. The area is more desert than tropical. Lover's beach is nice and the snorkeling there is pretty good. A water taxi can take you there pretty cheaply.

Mazatlan is much warmer and more tropical. The beach is pretty nice. We have taken the day trip to Copala. It was a great excursion. Also you can take the water taxi near the dock over to stone island. The beach is uncrowded and the seafood at Victors is amazing.

Puerta Vallarta is my favorite stop on this route. It is the most tropical and warmest of the ports. My favorite thing to do here is to go zip lining. Hands down the most exciting excursion ever. Google zip line rio cuale river and you will find it. It is half the price of the ship excursion and twice the fun. You will never forget it. Once when we arrived in PV a day early due to a hurricane necessitating port changes, we jumped in a cab and asked the driver to take us to a beach where we could snorkel. He drove us out of town to a little beach where we negotiated with a guy to take us snorkeling. It was great. We snorkeled thru arches and tunnels. The water was very clean and warm. After snorkeling we laid out on the beach and had some food from a beach type restaurant. All good. If you want to go here just ask a local cabbie to take you to the beach with the arches, should be no problem.

While I prefer the Caribbean, the Mexican Riviera is still a great cruise. Hope this helps.

Thank you, joeyancho! I love to snorkel, so I will make sure that I do that in PV!.

The beach was south of town. On the street approaching the beach there are little shacks offering snorkeling and fishing. The cabbie knew the guy with t he boat. It was cheap. About fifteen dollars pp. The area was spectacular. The arches we swam through were huge. Like swimming thru a tunnel. The beach was small but fine. Hope you find it because it is worth it. Okay, I just looked it up. The area is Los Arcos. Which means the arches. Duh. Every cabbie should know where it is.

Edited by joeyancho