Does Princess go to Sitka, AK?

go4ak

I know for 2014 and 2015 the Princess ships don't stop in Sitka.

Do they ever?

Wondering if they only stop there every few years?

Or can you "visit" Sitka as an excursion from one of the ports where they do stop?

Thanks

I haven't seen a recent Princess itinerary that went to Sitka. It's a port I'd like to go to, so I've looked at possibly taking a Holland America cruise to Alaska sometime. But so far, we've always taken Princess and gone to the same ports--Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway (plus Victoria for our Seattle cruises).

Norwegian also goes to Sitka, but we don't want to go on it. Oceania, Regent, and Silversea also go there regularly. I don't think we'll pony up the cost of one of those cruises. Celebrity goes there occasionally. For 2015, they don't have one scheduled for DH's summer break from teaching at a community college.

Juneau is the closest port that Princess sails to but it's still nearly 100 miles from Sitka. You could probably charter a plane to take you there and back, but I bet it would be expensive.

We once took the ferry from Skagway to Haines on our own (after booking an independent excursion in Haines). That's another interesting port that Princess doesn't sail to.

Edited by geoherb

We stopped in Sitka and Haines years ago on the Old Regal Princess, or was it the Sea Princess, I don't remember.

DH corrects me and says it was the old Regal we were on in Sitka. I just remember thinking it was such a fascinating place.

Ok, I had to look it up. We DID visit Sitka (and Haines) aboard the old Regal Princess in 2006.

Pictures of Sitka starting on page 5 here:

http://www.websailor.org/gallery/v/Cruises/Alaska_Cruise_2006/?g2_page=5

Looks like what is now a UBB (breakfast) on page 4 too.

Haines starting on page 10:

http://www.websailor.org/gallery/v/Cruises/Alaska_Cruise_2006/?g2_page=10

Edited by cflutist

We once took the ferry from Skagway to Haines on our own (after booking an independent excursion in Haines). That's another interesting port that Princess doesn't sail to.

Princess goes to Haines a few times each season. I know Golden Princess out of San Francisco next year will be going to Haines a couple of times.

Princess has/had a sailing or 2 that stopped in Haines this year. I was very tempted to take that cruise. I haven't looked for next year yet.

I do wish Princess would mix it up a bit. I haven't been to Sitka in years. It was on our lask HAL cruise to Alaska. It also stopped in Haines. And funny thing, we took an excursion to Skagway. I'm really itching to go back to Alaska next year. And another port I miss that HAL uses and Princess doesn't is Seward.

Edited by yoyosma

Yes, 6-7 years ago my wife was medivacuated off at Sitka. It is a rather small town with the longest road about 12 miles long. We spent 3 days there with her gall bladder attack and made it out and back to Seattle to catch our original flight back home. Yes we had insurance and the bill was well into 5 digits. I didn't care much for the town as the fish folks were fighting over harvesting of one type of fish that is all around the area.

Guest USC Traveler

summer of 2013, i was on the grand from san francisco and sitka was one of our stops. it was fabulous! i took the sightseeing train. i didn't know they cancelled that stop. too bad. hope they bring it back so other passengers can enjoy it.

summer of 2013, i was on the grand from san francisco and sitka was one of our stops. it was fabulous! i took the sightseeing train. i didn't know they cancelled that stop. too bad. hope they bring it back so other passengers can enjoy it.

A train on Sitka???...perhaps Skagway?????

Now you all made me go back and do research. I found my last visit to Sitka and it was 1990. And it wasn't Princess. It was Holland America. Phew! What a relief. Now I will sleep tonight. ;)

So was ours! We didn't get to see it though.:( It was fogged in when we arrived at the dock on the tender. We had scheduled a fishing charter and left the dock to fish in the fog. When we got back to the dock, we still could not see the town. So we visited Sitka but never saw it. :D Guess we should go back and try again.:)

I am tentatively planning to try HAL next year just to get to Sitka. There are lots of things about Princess that I will miss but I'm willing to make the sacrifice and give HAL a try in order to get to a new port. I wish Princess would add it to some of their sailings!