scrapbooking ideas

shealea

I could use some ideas and thoughts on organizing my scrapbook from our recent cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Jewel.

I have everything needed to get started: pictures, lots of memorabilia picked up along the cruise, a 12 x 12 album, scrapbooking embellishments purchased at ports and online once I got home, lots of 12 x 12 paper that I ordered online. I'm all set to go!!!!!!

But, I always find the hardest part in making a new scrapbook is getting started. I'm just not sure how I want to organize the layout. So I would like to hear your ideas on how you have organized your scrapbook.

Did you do your pages in order of when you took the pictures? Or maybe by category. For example -- All of the pictures of the ship together, pictures of all of the restaurants and food pictures together, entertainment pictures together?

Maybe by date: What you did each day.....those pictures together chronologically?

Also, I want to have a title page at the start. Maybe my nice picture of the ship on the first page. And on the page next to it, I was thinking of making a some sort of page listing our itinerary along with the picture of the cruise route. Or, what did you do for a title page????????

I'm so very excited to start on my Alaska cruise scrapbook, but not really sure where to begin!!!!! Ha!

Any of your ideas are WELCOMED!!!!! And pictures of your pages would be super if you feel like sharing!!!!!!! I know there are a lot of folks who cruise AND do scrapbooking. I would love to hear from all of you!!!!

I too will be starting my scrapbook, but the first thing I did when I got back was to make a video of my pics on my computer. I did it chronologically starting with the e tickets and drive to the ship all the way to disembarkment. My scrapbook will be done along the same way. I simply titled it Our Alaska Cruise with the pic of the ship in background. It was a fabulous cruise!!Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

We have always started with a picture of us with the suitcases at home.

The car with suitcases in it.

The traditiional airport shot.

Airline tickets

Sea Pass

And then showed itinerary

Then a day by day account with pictures of the cruise.

I have 6 cruise albums, and 7 Disney land vacation albums.

Also from every vacation I send a post card thanking the family for a fun safe journey. I buy two identical postcards, and on the last page I post the picture side of one, with the mailed written card side that traveled thru the mail like we traveled on the cruise or (disney) and end the album that way.

Have a lot of fun doing it.

Usually takes a couple weeks hit or miss to finish.

Enjoy

I did

Sea Ya

In one of my cruise scrapbooks I did the ports in order. In between each port I put a two page spread of ship photos and/or memorabilia.

I used the embarkation photo for the first page but I like your idea of using a photo of the ship.

We have some cruise scrapbook pages on the Cruise Memoribilia forum. I hope you will post some pages when you finish them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1854411

My scrap book(s) are in this order:

Ship

Friends I met on the ship

Ports of call in order

I say books because mine was a 94 day cruise so it took 3 books just for the 4X6 photos. Still need to organize the odd shaped paper such as maps, certificates and other misc items.

Don

On our last cruise I did a Smashbook. I did the entries and glued in lots of 'stuff' everyday. So everything was in order. And just left some spaces for small prints of the pictures we took. It was lots of fun to do and different than past photo/scrapbooks I have done. I added every little thing we got on the cruise, including those tags they put in your clothing when you send it out for laundry.

Edited by OVgirl

One of my favorite scrapbooks is of our first cruise, where I have a large MDR menu- a work of art! I began with a photo of our ship, and the itinerary (cut from the cruise brochure), our nice luggage tags that picture a turtle and other scenes. And our PAPER boarding passes!

Pictures of our dining companions, invites, bridge tour. A photo of our shattered picture window, that we were shocked to discover after breakfast one morning. And the accompanying note presented to us with a bottle of wine- for the inconvenience during repair.

Best organization tip for me is, for each individual port, I started with a photo of the island's license plate- Aruba, Curacao, etc. I also included the port description cut from the daily onboard activity paper, and some leftover (Aruba) change. All made for a nice memory book of a great cruise.

Best organization tip for me is, for each individual port, I started with a photo of the island's license plate- Aruba, Curacao, etc. I also included the port description cut from the daily onboard activity paper, and some leftover (Aruba) change. All made for a nice memory book of a great cruise.

The first thing I did every morning was take a picture of the ship's daily activity paper. This way I knew all pictures after that were for that day. When I put my photo book together, the daily paper picture was the heading for that section.

It showed the date and location.

Don

You are all so great with your ideas! It's really got me motivated with a direction I want to start with.

I like the idea of starting each section with the Daily paper for that day. When we boarded and I first spoke with our cabin steward, I requested 2 of the Dailies for each day. She left us 2 each day. One we carried around with us, and the other I saved for my scrapbook.

So after reading here, I like the idea of starting each section with the Daily I have saved for the day. Then I'll go on to post pictures from our day in port and our day doing other onboard activities, such as entertainment for that day.

My other plan is to place the more "generic" type of photos (different areas of the ship, pictures at the pool, pictures of the buffet, and those type) randomly throughout.

One of my favorite scrapbooks is of our first cruise, where I have a large MDR menu- a work of art! I began with a photo of our ship, and the itinerary (cut from the cruise brochure), our nice luggage tags that picture a turtle and other scenes. And our PAPER boarding passes!

Pictures of our dining companions, invites, bridge tour. A photo of our shattered picture window, that we were shocked to discover after breakfast one morning. And the accompanying note presented to us with a bottle of wine- for the inconvenience during repair.

omg!!!! How in the heck did your picture window get shattered. That would have been awful if you had your clothing get covered in shattered glass!! Did the glass get on any of your things??

Thank you for the organization tips. I plan to use some of your ideas.

We've done a few albums doing the scrapbook thing, with everything above mentioned. But lately we've been doing the books online. You pick the size of the book, how many pages, type of paper, etc. The print is unbelievable. Love doing them.

I take my scrap booking stuff with me and put it together as I go. I can usually finish 1/2 - 3/4 before we get home. Many ships now have a machine where you can print your own pics; I actually have a small photo printer that I bring and print as I go.

I start with a picture of the ship and then shots of our cabin. Always a map of the ship - you know, the one they give us when we check in! I usually end with a spread of our table mates. Day by day for ports, with pages about ship life inserted periodically.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

omg!!!! How in the heck did your picture window get shattered. That would have been awful if you had your clothing get covered in shattered glass!! Did the glass get on any of your things??

Thank you for the organization tips. I plan to use some of your ideas.

You're welcome, shealea! And no, not one piece of glass from the large window in our stateroom came out of the window frame. It shattered and just 'spider-webbed' in place, in a million pieces. We could still hear it cracking as we came into our cabin, and were shocked at not being able to see out of it!

The Captain's assistant (and a maintenance man) arrived shortly after we made a phone call. He walked in, took a look, and said to us (in his Norwegian accent) with a smile: "Vat haf you done to my sheep?!" He explained that the window had most likely been installed too tightly, and over time this may happen.

We were surprised to receive a note from the Captain and his staff the next night at dinner, along with our choice of wine for the inconvenience. We hadn't see it as an inconvenience, but that was very thoughtful of NCL. And certainly made for a memorable aspect of our first cruise! ;)

I could use some ideas and thoughts on organizing my scrapbook from our recent cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Jewel.

I have everything needed to get started: pictures, lots of memorabilia picked up along the cruise, a 12 x 12 album, scrapbooking embellishments purchased at ports and online once I got home, lots of 12 x 12 paper that I ordered online. I'm all set to go!!!!!!

But, I always find the hardest part in making a new scrapbook is getting started. I'm just not sure how I want to organize the layout. So I would like to hear your ideas on how you have organized your scrapbook.

Did you do your pages in order of when you took the pictures? Or maybe by category. For example -- All of the pictures of the ship together, pictures of all of the restaurants and food pictures together, entertainment pictures together?

Maybe by date: What you did each day.....those pictures together chronologically?

Also, I want to have a title page at the start. Maybe my nice picture of the ship on the first page. And on the page next to it, I was thinking of making a some sort of page listing our itinerary along with the picture of the cruise route. Or, what did you do for a title page????????

I'm so very excited to start on my Alaska cruise scrapbook, but not really sure where to begin!!!!! Ha!

Any of your ideas are WELCOMED!!!!! And pictures of your pages would be super if you feel like sharing!!!!!!! I know there are a lot of folks who cruise AND do scrapbooking. I would love to hear from all of you!!!!

Some of this depends on whether or not you want or need to expand your album with additional pages. I get out all the photos I want to use and decide if my album will be categorized or chronological. Then I start placing photos into the plastic sleeves with memorabilia and embellishments. See how many pages you have or need, etc. Then you can add paper, stickers, etc. This has worked well for me in the past and is also helpful if I don't get to finish the whole album quickly. I still have things planned out and in one location.

On our last cruise I did a Smashbook. I did the entries and glued in lots of 'stuff' everyday. So everything was in order. And just left some spaces for small prints of the pictures we took. It was lots of fun to do and different than past photo/scrapbooks I have done. I added every little thing we got on the cruise, including those tags they put in your clothing when you send it out for laundry.

I have started making travel journals for our trips so I remember things and places and names I need. I write on one side of the paper so I can add it to scrapbooks when I return home. I put in anything I want to save. I can cut it apart when I make the scrapbook.

I have found using spiral notebooks work well as you add in a lot of bulky things and regular journals don't often take the stress very well. I even glue in large manilla envelopes to use for storage in the journal.

Love the license plate idea. I take a photo of the country's flag, but that doesn't give you the name of the country.

I don´t do scrapping as such, but I do keep a journal of our cruises on the computer. I start at our planning stage and precruise with little snippets of info about packing, booking tickets, guides, private tours etc adding some web site info and photos. I also prepare my diary pages for the cruise with photo heading, port info etc. Once all that is prepared I start doing research on history, bakground etc of the country and port, gathering some pics from the internet. Hopefully by the time our cruise starts I have part finished diaries to which I need to add our personal information and pictures. Keeping it all on the USB doesn´t take us much room, but I must admit it´s not the same as having a book, but I suppose I could print it off if need be.

Sandy in Spain

carolmacey - Then I start placing photos into the plastic sleeves with memorabilia and embellishments. See how many pages you have or need, etc. Then you can add paper, stickers, etc. This has worked well for me in the past and is also helpful if I don't get to finish the whole album quickly. I still have things planned out and in one location.

I've gotten started on my Alaska cruise scrapbook, and I've been using your idea you posted.

I've been planning a few pages ahead by putting pictures and memorabilia in the page sleeves and then scrapbooking each page as I go along. It's great to plan a few pages ahead like you suggested. Thanks for the great idea!!!