Just back from Silver Cloud

Mayflower1

We have just returned from the Cloud, Southampton to Barcelona and am pleased to Report that in my opinion the ship is in overall good shape.

The service from the Crew was as wonderful as ever with smiles all round - The current Hotel Director Marius is doing a fantastic job in creating such a happy atmosphere throughout the ship. The Food in all the Restaurants ( did not try Le Champagne this time ) was top notch and consistently served hot, which has been somewhat of a gripe over the last couple of years. Bar Service was quick and friendly and the present Bar Manager is doing a great job in ensuring good Service in the various venues.

The Entertainment was unfortunately Poor and the imminent change to a new Company is welcome, especially if one cruises regularly - This Group, who we have experienced before are not strong vocally and volume does not make up for lack of talent ( A very personal opinion, as I am sure some Guests were delighted by the Performances ). The Quartet in The Bar were also Poor on this occasion.

The Ships appearance remains generally very good in spite of her Years and ongoing maintenance is very apparent on the Decks etc - inside I saw no major issues. Our Suite was managed very well by a brilliant Butler and Assistant and we were looked after very well.

I am pleased to say that apart from One Day when the Pool was filled with Sea Water from near the filthy Tagus River, The Pool was in operation the whole time and was of a very acceptable temperature ( BriMary please note !!! ).

All in all we had a wonderful time and look forward to returning to the Cloud before too long.

We have just returned from the Cloud, Southampton to Barcelona and am pleased to Report that in my opinion the ship is in overall good shape. The service from the Crew was as wonderful as ever with smiles all round - The current Hotel Director Marius is doing a fantastic job in creating such a happy atmosphere throughout the ship. The Food in all the Restaurants ( did not try Le Champagne this time ) was top notch and consistently served hot, which has been somewhat of a gripe over the last couple of years. Bar Service was quick and friendly and the present Bar Manager is doing a great job in ensuring good Service in the various venues. The Entertainment was unfortunately Poor and the imminent change to a new Company is welcome, especially if one cruises regularly - This Group, who we have experienced before are not strong vocally and volume does not make up for lack of talent ( A very personal opinion, as I am sure some Guests were delighted by the Performances ). The Quartet in The Bar were also Poor on this occasion. The Ships appearance remains generally very good in spite of her Years and ongoing maintenance is very apparent on the Decks etc - inside I saw no major issues. Our Suite was managed very well by a brilliant Butler and Assistant and we were looked after very well. I am pleased to say that apart from One Day when the Pool was filled with Sea Water from near the filthy Tagus River, The Pool was in operation the whole time and was of a very acceptable temperature ( BriMary please note !!! ). All in all we had a wonderful time and look forward to returning to the Cloud before too long.

Appreciate the excellent details and substance in this timely reporting from our UK friend, Mayflower1. As we are planning a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days, this background is important.

For us, the food, quality staff and general ship condition are the most important for our needs and interests. Glad to hear those solid to excellent ratings from your just completed travels. The entertainment and pool are nice, but not the top needs for us personally. Glad to hear that things are in "transition" and hopefully improving in these areas.

Since we will be on the ship for 17-day and 9-day back-to-backs, having that good variety on the food (and maybe the entertainment) will be of strong interest to us. Of our five total cruises done, so far, the two longest have been 14 and 15 days. Doing 26-days will be somewhat, maybe, of a challenge for us in how we "pace" ourself, get the amount of variety to make things interesting, etc.

Please share any other details, tips, ideas that come to mind.

THANKS for your good efforts! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,243 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I wonder if it's the same bar quartet we had in August; if so, we totally agree with your assessment. Their music was mediocre at best. That was a disappointment, because we like to dance...

Were the entertainers the six vocalists? We saw one show, the ABBA tribute, which wasn't bad. The other shows didn't seem so appealing; think we only went to one other and I don't remember much about it. That may be saying something there. ;)

We actually enjoyed the type of entertainment that they did a few years ago, with more dancing and less singing. But lack of entertainment isn't a minus in our book; that keeps us from staying out too late, and then we can be better rested for our crazy days ashore.