Help with my DIY - Florence

faith4keep

We leave for our Med Cruise this Friday and I'm finalizing our plans for Livorno. I based my day off of we12brich's amazingly detailed DIY (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1668640) but edited, because some things our groups wants to do are not listed on we12brich's version.

We've heard to focus our day trips on a few things. So, our must-sees in Florence are: Piazzale Michaelangelo, Ponte Vechchio, and climbing the Duomo. Anything else we happen to see along the way is nice but not necessary. The main issue right now is the Duomo. I had planned my entire DIY around doing Piazzale Michaelangelo first and Duomo last, but my travel-mates are concerned about the line for the Duomo being too long in the afternoon. I am not sure how to reverse my itinerary in this scenario due to bus routes; is it really necessary? Will lines be longer for the Duomo as the day goes on? If so, any suggestions on how to reverse my below itinerary?

LIVORNO PORT – TRAVEL TO FLORENCE AND PISA ITINERARY

October 2nd, 2014

Ship arrives at 7a, leaves at 7p.

7:10-7:15
– Disembark. On our way to Livorno Centrale train station.

+

+ We need to take a taxi to Livorno Centrale Station. According to CC board, some taxis will only take 6-8 passengers so prepare to team up with other cruisers if necessary. Ask the guy directing taxis to direct us to taxi for train station. Cost is about EUR5 per person.

+ Purchase
to Florence (Firenze) in a tobacco shop (Tabacchi) to avoid the line at the station. Price should be EUR 6.70 one way.

+ Validate the ticket in a yellow machine before boarding the train. Validate the ticket that only says:

+ Head for the stairs down through the underground passage that will take you to the platform you need. You can check the platform number at the Departure board.

8:12a
- The train ride to Firenze Santa Maria Novella (final stop) will take 1 hour and 20 minutes. Next train is 9:06.

9:32a
– Arrival at Florence at Firenze Santa Maria Novella

+
. Sightseeing and shopping only. No museums. Get map at train station information booth.

+ Buy a 90 minute bus ticket 1.20euro

9:45-12:45p - Explore Firenze

+ Walk from Piazza della Stazione to Via deglu Avelli.

+ Walk towards Santa Maria Novella Church. Buy a bus ticket from the tobacco shop in the plaza before walking to bus stop.

+ Find street Via del Fossi for the bus stop. Take the #12 (or #13) bus from Santa Maria Novella to Piazzale Michaelangelo (9:58am, 10:15am buses)

+ Arrive at Piazzale Michaelangelo. Take photos. (10:15am - 10:45am)

+ Walk from Piazzale Michaelangelo (downhill) toward town. Take Via Galileo turns into Via San Miniato, turn left on Via di San Nicolo (visit Enoteca Bevo Vino!). Turn right on Ponte alle Grazzie; turn left to walk alongside water.

+ OR - take bus #13 (bus 12 does not take you to the right place) to San'tOnforio stop. Walk towards water and walk towards Ponte Vecchio.

+ Check out view of Ponte Vecchio. Walk to bridge and walk across (jewelry, artwork, tacky souveniers).

+ At the end of the bridge take a right, walk through the Uffizi Palace. gallery (public courtyard)

+ End up in the Piazza della Signoria.Take Pictures.

+ Take Via dei Calzaiuoli. Turn to Via Porta Rossa towards Via Calimala.

+ You’ve reached Mercato del Porcellino (rub the boar’s snout for good luck).

+ Take Via Roma/Calimala towards Via degli Speziali. You’ve reached Piazza della Repubblica. Take Pictures.

+ Continue taking Via Roma/Calimala.

+ At the end of Via Roma is The Duomo (1pm-3pm) (10 euro)

If it's 1:30pm or earlier at this point - let's go to Pisa

+ Walk to train station Firenze S.M.Novella. Take train to Pisa Centrale

+ Train times: 12:28pm, 12:53pm, 13:00pm, 13:16, 13:28, 13:53, 14:28

+ Use the RT trip we bought earlier. Aim for 13:53 train

+
1:53-3:06 -
Train ride to Pisa Centrale.

+
3:10 –
Arrival in Pisa Centrale. Take the bus/taxi to the leaning tower of Pisa.

+
3:30-4:20 -
Picture taking at Leaning tower of Pisa. Take taxi to Pisa Centrale for train.

+
4:33 –
Departure from Pisa Centrale to Livorno Centrale. Arriving at 4:48p.

+ OR - if it's too late - Plan B. Take a Taxi from Pisa Centrale to Livorno port (EUR ___)

If it's 1:30pm or later, determine other things to do in Florence up until ~2:30PM, where we need to get on a train back to ship.

+ Walk to train station Firenze S.M.Novella. Take train to Pisa Centrale

+ Train times:

14:28pm (2:28pm) --> 4:12pm

15:00pm (3:00pm) --> 4:48pm

16:28pm (4:28pm) --> 5:48pm

+ Use the RT trip we bought earlier. Aim for 15:00 train

4:50 – Arrival at Livorno Centrale Station. Take a taxi to the port. If difficult to get a taxi, alternative option is to catch a bus:

+ Catch Bus #1 at Livorno Central Station to Piazza Grande Square. Buy the bus ticket (EUR1) at a little tobacco shop (Tabacchi) or at a news-stand kiosks. Once you get into the bus, validate ticket in the machine.

+ Ride to Piazza Grande Square takes 10 minutes depending on the traffic. Buses arrive every 10 minutes.

+ Take the cruise shuttle bus (make sure the NCL EPIC Name is on the front) back to the port.

5:15 - 5:30 - Arrival at Livorno port

Edited by faith4keep
formatting/spaces

Agree with Maryann that it is best to drop Pisa from your itinerary. Seeing Florence in 3 hours is just not possible. In fact, we have spent more then a week (on land trips) in that city and still return for a few nights whenever we are on a driving trip in that part of Italy. And you are ITALY, and when most folks think of Italy they think of food! And then there is gelato and Florence does have some of the best in the world and also the most famous gelato shop on earth (Vivoli) which we think is overrated (and overpriced) but a must for many visitors. The idea of rushing through Florence without enjoying lunch at a well-located outdoor café is almost enough to make me cry :(.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You have great detailed plans. I would not change the Duomo time but I would skip Pisa. That will simplify things and give you more time in Florence. The area around the Duomos is interesting as is the Duomo itself.

Thanks for the comments! None of us are particularly thrilled or interested in Pisa so we were probably going to skip it. It will be a little less stressful trying to get back to the ship anyway.

Seeing Florence in 3 hours is just not possible.

The idea of rushing through Florence without enjoying lunch at a well-located outdoor café is almost enough to make me cry :(.

Of course! This is why we are focusing on only seeing 3 things and take it leisurely instead of rushing and attempting to see everything. I'm really looking forward to the food & drink in Florence, particularly wine bars if we can find them. Also shopping for leather, too.

We had plenty of time to visit both Florence and Pisa, though we just browsed Florence and I suspect the others are right.

But dont totally give up on Pisa at this stage.

You,ll need 20 minutes to walk from Pisa centrale to the Field of Miracles, mebbe 15 mins for photo ops and allow 25 for the walk back. That,s a total of about an hour - halve that if you take a taxi. This only for a photo op and to tick it off your list.

Your Florence train ticket permits you to break your journey, and trains from Pisa to Livorno are twice as frequent as the through trains from Florence. You should have no need of a taxi from Pisa to Livorno though it's a useful Plan B if you totally foul-up.

Detailed plans usually don,t work out totally and need adjusting on the day. Usually by trimming rather than adding, but if your day goes smoothly then keep Pisa in your back pocket.

JB :)

We had plenty of time to visit both Florence and Pisa, though we just browsed Florence and I suspect the others are right.

But dont totally give up on Pisa at this stage.

You,ll need 20 minutes to walk from Pisa centrale to the Field of Miracles, mebbe 15 mins for photo ops and allow 25 for the walk back. That,s a total of about an hour - halve that if you take a taxi. This only for a photo op and to tick it off your list.

Your Florence train ticket permits you to break your journey, and trains from Pisa to Livorno are twice as frequent as the through trains from Florence. You should have no need of a taxi from Pisa to Livorno though it's a useful Plan B if you totally foul-up.

Detailed plans usually don,t work out totally and need adjusting on the day. Usually by trimming rather than adding, but if your day goes smoothly then keep Pisa in your back pocket.

JB :)

Definitely not planning on this timeline working out at all. I hope to report back on the timing of how we actually did things. I have never DIYed with train rides, so both Florence & Rome are making me a bit uneasy.

Agree with Maryann that it is best to drop Pisa from your itinerary. Seeing Florence in 3 hours is just not possible. In fact, we have spent more then a week (on land trips) in that city and still return for a few nights whenever we are on a driving trip in that part of Italy. And you are ITALY, and when most folks think of Italy they think of food! And then there is gelato and Florence does have some of the best in the world and also the most famous gelato shop on earth (Vivoli) which we think is overrated (and overpriced) but a must for many visitors. The idea of rushing through Florence without enjoying lunch at a well-located outdoor café is almost enough to make me cry :(.

Hank

Agree with Hank here. Vivoli may be the more famous, but La Carraia is the best ;) And, their price is reasonable…

You are spot on with picking just 3 things to "must see". If you want to buy leather, hit the San Lorenzo Market. Then, go to the Merato Centrale to look at amazing food displays - I think it's worth it (I have a few photos of displays from there up on my kitchen wall).

I was thinking the same thing about the Piazza Michelangelo. People go there for the view and the replica of "David" but you get a great view from the roof of the Duomo and there is another "David" replica in the Piazza della Signoria.

A better use of time would be strolling around and having a great lunch.

Yes- you all are right that the entire reason to go to P. Michaelangelo was to see the incredible views of Florence. I'm sure we'll get to see great views from the Duomo as well, but I'm hoping for a picture with my fiance with the skyline behind us. The only reason we wouldn't go is if it's a cloudy/rainy day.

Last question about my Florence trip - I'm assuming there is a dress code for the visit to the Duomo, and that shorts & a short sleeve shirt will not be acceptable. Can anyone point me to the appropriate dress code for both men and women?

I guess this also goes for Rome (the Vatican) and Barcelona (Sagrada Familia) as well. Are men expected to wear pants? What about shorts past the knee? For me, would leggings past the knee be acceptable? I have read that the Vatican expects you to cover up on top past the elbows - so I should bring a cardigan that day I suppose!

Just a little note about the taxi. I was there in July and did not see the white shared taxis I used a few years back (they may have been there, but I didn't see them). If you plan to share a taxi, you may want to ask a few people as you're leaving the ship (or ask someone in the line who's buying the shuttle tickets into town if they want to share a taxi). There's a place inside the visitor center with taxi info (since we didn't use it this time, not sure if you arrange for your cab there or will need to go outside).

Enjoy Italy!!!!

Three years ago, my DH and I with another couple wanted to take a taxi to the train station also. We disembarked very early and found a handful of other DIY passengers hoping to do the same. Though there were taxi drivers out very early (7:15am) none of them wanted to drive us (only) to the train station. They were all looking for full day tours. After a while of haggling, one taxi driver agreed to give eight of us a ride but spent the entire drive tying to convince us of an all day tour. Three of couples finally said yes (other couple got off at train station) and we all agreed at the end of the day that it was the best decision as he took us places we would not have seen otherwise. We paid $100 per couple and tipped him well.

We did a DIY last year but arranged a taxi with taxi by Tuscany. It was E360 for 6 of us and worth every penny (and I am a penny pincher!). No worries about train schedules or finding a taxi to or from the train station. We spent 6 hours in Florence and then did a 1 hour visit of the Tower of Pisa. It was a fantastic worry free day. Our driver was a good tour guide while we drove, he made sure and took us to a water closet prior to dropping us off in Florence and then right after picking us up. It was much less stress and walking than taking the train.

Also remember, the most important item to consider with DIY is "do not miss the boat." Trains, cabs, etc., are always subject to unforeseen delays especially when traveling a distance from the port like Florence and Rome. Most cruise lines offer a DIY transfer. Bus (sometimes train) leaving 5-6 hours to explore on your own. This has worked very well many times and no matter what happens, the boat waits, and there is no stress. Have a great trip.