East FL Traffic

travler27

I'll be driving to Miami I-10 to Jacksonville then I-95 down to Miami. All of my driving will be on the weekend. I assume I don't really need to give much thought to "rush hour" on this trip. Am I correct?

Several times, I have driven I-10 to Jacksonville connecting from I-75. Given the time of day, the connector around Jacksonville between I-10 and I-95 can be very congested and slow. I-95 down the East coast of Florida is fine; increasing traffic as one approaches I-4, then the traffic decreases. Traffic increases again as one approaches West Palm Beach, but as long as there is no construction, the new stretch of highway is a delight to drive.

Approaching Fort Lauderdale, traffic again increases and, my recommendation, I would get off I-95 and get onto U.S. 1 somewhere South of Broward County and in North Dade County. Based on experience, I will never drive on I-95 again within the city of Miami. The driving that I witnessed on I-95 near downtown Miami was reckless and wild. Going to the Port, U.S. 1 will be slower, but one will not encounter idiots cutting across multiple lanes of traffic and arriving within inches of your front bumper as I experienced on I-95. :eek:

I'll be driving to Miami I-10 to Jacksonville then I-95 down to Miami. All of my driving will be on the weekend. I assume I don't really need to give much thought to "rush hour" on this trip. Am I correct?

Wrong.

Traffic south of Palm Beach on I-95 will be heavy and nuts almost all of the time. Times that by ten if it is raining. Worst traffic on the planet.

Take the turnpike.

Edited by BlueHerons