RCCL canceled Tortola need beach ideas blue_water can you chime in?

tpadul

OK so we just found out today when I came peeking here on our Roll Call for our upcoming RCCL cruise on Nov 8th. They canceled the port stop to Tortola and now we are stopping in St. Thomas.. No big problem for us as we have not booked any port excursions but now that we have also heard from others that many stores are closed on St. Thomas on Sunday, the day we will dock, we think a beach day is in order..

So, blue_water and any others that have good knowledge of St. Thomas can you chime in as to what beach would be best for us. We want to just grab a taxi when we get off the ship, no pre-booked excursions for us. We are honeymooning on this trip and want a nice quiet beach that will not be too crowded but might have a decent bar/restaurant on the beach so we can eat a decent lunch. We are not loud/rowdy/party type people so we prefer to to have a quieter beach.. We are mid 40's and way past the party scene.

I know nothing about St. Thomas at all.. and this is late in the game for me to spend a lot of time researching this port, we are down to 30 days before our wedding and I'm busy busy busy getting our last minute wedding things done. So any help here would be much much appreciated :D :D

I recommend Emerald Beach, because it's always quiet and relaxing there, and you have more than one restaurant choice.

Not a good snorkeling beach, though. Close to cruise docks, and no huge hotels on the beach - just small hotels.

The problem with Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is it's close proximity to Crown Bay where many RCCL ships port. But the Best Western Hotel there is an option depending on what Sunday you are docked. If on 11/2 there's one ship (the Jewel) and it may not be bad. If on 11/16 there are 2 RCCL ships in port and I'd want to get further away from the beaches closest to town like Lindbergh and Morningstar and I'd definitely avoid Magens and Coki. Both ships normally dock at Havensight so Lindbergh isn't as likely to be overrun either.

You won't find a nice quiet beach with a restaurant and other amenities as that is an elusive animal (on STT anyway). But there are some choices...

We'd choose Sapphire because it's our favorite beach, we are biased for sure. No real restaurant to eat at, but the Banana Cabana beach grill serves a great Mahdi Mahi sandwich and burger and has a couple tables. It's located between condo blogs B & C. A runner from there and one from the Sapphire Village behind the marina also take food and drink orders on the beach. And as you enter Sapphire there may be a food truck (Off The Grid) that has good food as well. That's our beach choice for STT as it doesn't seem to get as crowded as others.

Lots of nice natural shade along much of the shore and beautiful water colors and island views, and there is a dive center renting chairs, etc.

Another option is a bit smaller bay that's also home to a condo property, Secret Harbor. Nice restaurant but not quite as nice a beach and no natural shade for day trippers. SH is our 2nd choice.

You can contact Diane@AAivers to request chairs and am umbrella in advance.

For the quietest spot Elysian Beach (where the Elysian condos are located near SH) has a restaurant and I believe a beach bar but we haven't been to this beach yet do perhaps others can comment.

But these are all East End beaches that are home to condo properties and have a nice, relaxed vibe. Lindbergh can also be a nice quieter day, just not as nice a beach as the others mentioned in our opinion.

Sorry you missed Tortola, beautiful island and gorgeous beaches! :)

Edited by blue_water

Here's the Nov ship schedule from vinow dot com.

http://www.**********/general_usvi/cruiseship/ship_schedule.php?i=0&m=11&y=2014

If your ship isn't on the schedule, it's likely you'll be the only one in port that day, but schedule not updated yet.

Lindberg/Best Western Emerald Beach are one in the same for the most part. Read the reviews. There is usually no loud music at Emerald like there is at Coki. No vendors. At least 2 open air beach restaurants.

It's not a secluded beach, but it is quiet.

Edited by Ms411

Here's the Nov ship schedule from vinow dot com.

http://www.**********/general_usvi/cruiseship/ship_schedule.php?i=0&m=11&y=2014

If your ship isn't on the schedule, it's likely you'll be the only one in port that day, but schedule not updated yet.

Lindberg/Best Western Emerald Beach are one in the same for the most part

RCCL is in port on the 2 Sundays noted, cruisett dot com is the best source for ship schedules, and vinow dot com does show where the ships are docked those 2 dates.

Lindbergh Bay is Lindbergh Bay, many ppl call it Emerald Beach based on one of the two Best Westerns in the bay.

tpadul you know which Sunday you're there...:)

Another vote for Sapphire.

Or book the RCCL trip to St. John and view beaches from a boat with plenty of free time after to head to Trunk or Cinnamon. National park trip I think it was called.

Great rum punch on the boat trip back. Pick up and drop off right at the ship.

So, blue_water and any others that have good knowledge of St. Thomas can you chime in as to what beach would be best for us. We want to just grab a taxi when we get off the ship, no pre-booked excursions for us. We are honeymooning on this trip and want a nice quiet beach that will not be too crowded but might have a decent bar/restaurant on the beach so we can eat a decent lunch. We are not loud/rowdy/party type people so we prefer to to have a quieter beach.. We are mid 40's and way past the party scene.

We haven't been to Sapphire Beach before but we plan to go there on our next cruise. Here's a link to my webpage with the info I've found on the internet: Sapphire Beach. Be sure to read my red-lettered note at the top of the webpage.

We haven't been to Sapphire Beach before but we plan to go there on our next cruise. Here's a link to my webpage with the info I've found on the internet: Sapphire Beach. Be sure to read my red-lettered note at the top of the webpage.

Please stop posting this link candydane, you haven't been to Sapphire and there are errors in the page and a disclaimer isn't the way to handle them. Just confuses the heck out of other folks who have not been there. Once you've experienced Sapphire then leave a review. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you feel I'm doing something wrong. I disagree, though, that my website is a bad thing. It's exactly what my note IN RED says it is -- a compilation of information about the ports that I've found from all over the internet, set up in one place.

I don't think people are too stupid to see and understand my disclaimer. And to make the decision to use it or not.

My statement IN RED is something that everyone who uses the internet should already know! ANYTHING you read on the internet (and even in Cruise Critic forums) must be taken as someone's opinion or something that happened to them at the time they wrote the comment or part of personal agendas by the thousands of people who post on the internet. Many (probably most) things posted on the internet are not dated and the credentials of the poster are not given. All internet postings are just that -- something someone has posted at some time and for some reason.

I've developed my website to help me get all the information I can find and keep it all together in one place to help make plans. Others have asked for information and I've posted my website links to give them access to what I've compiled.

If people don't want to use the internet information I've found, that's ok. I'm just offering them the option to decide.