Anyone take Ginger as precaution or to aid in sea-sickness?

mikeysed

Hi All-

I typically do not get sick or feel sea-sickness. I bought Sailors Secret (ginger pills) last cruise as precaution... I didn't get sick so not sure if they worked or not.

The thing with Sailors Secret and I get it... it says Sailor on it so mostly ALL reviews are for people on cruises/boats/scuba...However, these are 250mg per capsule so it says to take 4 per serving (to reach 1000mg)...they only give 36 ct in the box.

Since this is the only ingredient I was thinking of buying Natures Way Ginger Root Pills... these are 550mg per capsule. So I basically can buy a bottle of 100 for like $5... and I will only need to take 2 per serving and have tons of extras.

My question in posting this... is anyone familiar with both products or maybe have been in the same boat and tried the Natures Way instead - maybe a large family, long cruise, etc. Its not really even the cost although this would cost $7.50 shipped vs $14.. but the fact of taking 2 pills instead of 4.

I really believe they are the same thing, just the one is not branded for the Seas, and just ginger pills.

Figured I would post this here as people may have thought the same thing as me and have tried these instead.

Thanks,

Mike

We use Nature's Way Ginger Root. We start taking them about 2 days before our cruise. We each take 2 capsules, twice a day. I also take a back up, Bonine less drowsy, but have never used it. I have never used Sailor's secret do can't tell how that compares, sorry.

Same here..... start the whole family on them as a precaution and never had a problem :)

We all take the ones from Walmart. Bottle of 100 for 5.00 actually only take 2-3 per day (mealtime) then will in the gulf Bonnie at night also. Don't fell the need for Bonnie while in the calm Caribbean.

We cruise often enough my ginger never goes bad by buying bottle of 100.

A few years ago I went on a PNW cruise and I got sea sick the first night. I thought oh great, I'm done cruising! (That was after taking the pills.) The next day I got off the ship and bought a bottle of ginger powder, like you have in your spice cabinet. I scooped a small amount on a spoon and washed it down with water ( and a shudder lol) but it worked great. Fast too! That's my most important thing I pack on a cruise now. If you want to avoid the shudder go to a health food store and buy some gel caps and make your own. Cheap, very cheap and works great.

We all take the ones from Walmart. Bottle of 100 for 5.00 actually only take 2-3 per day (mealtime) then will in the gulf Bonnie at night also. Don't fell the need for Bonnie while in the calm Caribbean.

We cruise often enough my ginger never goes bad by buying bottle of 100.

Yeah I always get the ones from Walmart. The brand is Spring Valley, and I think it's under $4 for a bottle of 100 550-mg. pills. I take then if I'm feeling a bit queasy, but I have a BIL who takes them several times a day, throughout his cruise, to keep from feeling seasick. He was surprised they were so effective at preventing seasickness.

A few years ago I went on a PNW cruise and I got sea sick the first night. I thought oh great, I'm done cruising! (That was after taking the pills.) The next day I got off the ship and bought a bottle of ginger powder, like you have in your spice cabinet. I scooped a small amount on a spoon and washed it down with water ( and a shudder lol) but it worked great. Fast too! That's my most important thing I pack on a cruise now. If you want to avoid the shudder go to a health food store and buy some gel caps and make your own. Cheap, very cheap and works great.

Naaah, you're doing it wrong! What you wanna do is mix your ginger tablet in a glass of water, add sweetener, and you pretty much have a home-made ginger ale! Either hot like a tea, or ice-cold, it's all good! :D

I doubt that ginger would work as a preventative, but it surely does work to settle the stomach when you feel the least sensation of nausea. Simple crystallized ginger available at groceries and delis everywhere is probably the least expensive (and most enjoyable) way of taking it. But it is really a topical remedy rather than medical preventative.

I get sick on ships, buses, sometimes even trains! Ginger is my savior. I buy bottles (jars?) of 100 from any available source, in pharmacy and on-line.

Going on a cruise I start 2-3 days before the cruise; take them during the cruise; and continue 2-3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs". I take 1 capsule 3 times a day.

Had to take Bonine only twice: going from San Francisco to Alaska, and 2nd time in Norway when we crossed the Polar Circle.

We have cruised with friends who get seasick on wet blade of grass

This just made me laugh out loud because a friend of ours from Louisiana has said the very same thing about me. We were onboard a cruise one afternoon playing a game of descriptions when my friend said this about me: "She can go shopping at a funeral and get seasick on a wet blade of grass." Those who knew me were in complete agreement ! Thanks for a chuckle first thing in the morning.

Just for the record, I always bring along ginger candies and keep a couple on my person at all times. When the ship really starts rocking, I take a Bonine (meclizine) and I'm good to go.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

We were worried about my wife getting seasick on our first cruise (she has been known t get nauseous on a dock looking at a small boat).

We took patches, sea bands, ginger etc....and nothing. She never got seasick once on a 17 day cruise from Vancouver to LA and through the Panama Canal to FLL.

She does take the ginger candies with her, but she likes them anyway.

Since then we have ben on cruises where the ship was really rocking and she never had a problem.

As someone with a huge gag reflex which keeps me from being able to swallow most pills, I use candied ginger (which many grocery stores stock) and ginger chews. Also ginger-flavored Altoids.

What works for one person might not for the next, so it's best just to try out various remedies ahead of time and see what doesn't give you side effects. Also talk with your doctor if you're on medications to make sure your remedy doesn't affect your prescription.

As someone with a huge gag reflex which keeps me from being able to swallow most pills' date=' I use candied ginger (which many grocery stores stock) and ginger chews. Also ginger-flavored Altoids.

[/quote']

I recently read a post where someone takes along Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps. :)