So what kind of perks does your TA give you?

zalusky

Can someone help me out with a question....as I've said on other posts we travel alot and I always do our own bookings unless a TA can get me a better price for something than I find myself(which is rare). When booking a cruise, I do check with a couple of TA's, and in the case of our booking with x we were able to save $ booking with an agent. What I cant understand is why I would want to book with an agent otherwise. I much prefer to deal directly with the co. who is supplying the product that way if there is a potential problem I know I can resolve it, and I dont have to hope that a middleman will. Moreover, I then have control, of my res, can make any chgs I wish, and again dont have to call someone else to do it for me...quite frankly then I know its done right. I remember once booking a resort in Fiji and having a problem with the accom type on arrival....I got the usual"your TA made an error". When I pulled out their direct confirmation they had to acknowledge that the error was on their shoulders and they couldnt "pass the buck". So what am I missing(other than a bottle of champagne perhaps ;)

Here are the reasons we use a travel agent:

The time and energy required to book all arrangements in addition to the cruise, from a car from home to the airport, all air, all hotels, all car rentals (before, after, and at ports during, the cruise) and dealing with any changes caused by changes in air or cruise schedules is, to us, worth what little extra it costs us to buy everything through our travel agent.

Our agent keeps an eye out for special deals on cruises in which we have an interest. Example. She had a client who had to do a late cancel on a June Seine River barge cruise from Sens (Burgundy) to Giverny and back to Paris. She called us to see if we would be interested in taking the booking and splitting the late cancel penalty with her client. We would get a discount of ½ of the penalty and her other client would save that amount. We OK’d the deal and she took care of the arrangements with the Cruise Line. Example 2 – We wanted to go on a cruise that, it turns out, was sold out. We booked a similar cruise for two weeks later. As always she took care of the air, hotel, etc. About three weeks before the sailing date for our preferred cruise she heard from the Sales Rep that a cabin was available on that cruise. Our TA called us, we said “do it,” and she took care of all the changes in air, hotel, etc. We even got a small reduction in the total cost.

More reasons:

She stays on top of everything. She calls us the night before we leave and wishes us a nice trip; then she starts tracking our travel just to see if there are any delays or cancellations as we travel. In one case, we were on a flight that was about 1 hour late on takeoff from LAX and would miss the connection in Chicago by about 15 minutes. When we landed in Chicago and were headed to the United Customer Service line for a new flight, my cell phone rang. It was our TA who was tracking the flight on her Apollo system. She said that, while we were still in the air, she had arranged for American to accept our United tickets for a $20 per ticket surcharge. We arrived about 1 hour after our original schedule with plenty of time to make our ship. Had we taken the next United flight, we would have missed the boat.

When we arrive home after a big trip (cruise, Europe, whatever), there’s a nice welcome home bouquet waiting for us at the door.

Darn... Strawberries.

This time we got - a discount for over $1000.00

An extra cabin - free - inside. For the kids.

This was because there were no cabins to upgrade into.

I would guess by what she arranged for us last time - Fruit in the room.

Two bottles of Champagne.

Another hefty price break - of about $800.00 if I miss my guess.

That I'm doing O.K. in the T/A department.

I don't track all the extras she has provided me over the last 5 trips.

The splendid service and phone calls, to get price breaks and room switches and......, do it all for me.

Hi Longboysfan,

Would you be so good as to let us know the details for your TA.

celticjoy@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you.

Matthew

The TA that I use used to give us wonderful discount prices. But alas, for our last cruise she was unable to do so because of the restrictions put on her by Celebrity. Instead she gave us free trip insurance for our 15 day cruise. Do I understand that some of your TAs are actually still discounting fares?

Would you please send info about your agent to me, too?

begete@comcast.net

To book this trip we used a travel agent we found on the web. Not sure whether she did a good job for us as we have had no experience with her.

I saw that our guarantee cabin was advertised at a lower price last week, so as per info on another thread, I e-mailed her about how if Celebrity lowers prices, they will give you a credit if your travel agents asks and got no reply.

Sounds about like my internet based TA. I e mailed a change to her and she e mailed me back to confirm it about 5 days later. Here I am thinking- did she receive my email, is she going to acknowledge it at all?

Next time I will just go through Celebrity as I don't require flight/hotel assistance. Plus none of these perks although the only one I would really care about is the price break but we paid exactly what was on the Celebrity website.

After I booked I saw the same cruise on another website offering free insurance. I'm kicking myself for that one. I could have saved a little money. :(

Interesting thread this one. In the UK there is very little recognition if any of loyalty by TAs. Certainly no gifts on board - we have always sat envious of fellow table guests as they signed to confirm receipt of bottles of wine etc in front of us and each time told us they were TA gifts etc. It does annoy me that my current TA has booked c£20k of cruises for us with X over the last few years and still does not recognise this other than a small discount (which you would get anyway if you were a first timer I suspect) It is also frustrating that I am currently trying to sort out mistakes with our Bon Voyage Gifts for our cruise next month (luckily I asked for an itemised receipt and the quantities and amounts do not tally with what I ordered or been passed to my CC bill). I did book the gifts direct with X but then all receipts have to go back to the TA. Anyway the TA is not even giving the resolution of that issue any serious attention.

I think in the UK there are not many indiependent TAs now - the market is now dominated by few large companies that are subsidiaries of tour operators. The only communications you get from them are upselling of currency and insurance, I am not necessaily looking for gifts, I would be happy if business was just acknowledged and a little more skilled staff, rather than young salespeople who are only familiar with the Club 18-30 reorts of Europe:mad:

uktog, I have to ask you how you came by your log in name. Every time I see it I am reminded of a certain Radio 2 DJ;)

Phil

Given the era of usage for the word, I had more envisioned them as someone selling men's or women's apparel at Grace Brothers.

I cruise a lot (having reached my year at sea quite a while ago), find the deals on the net and call my TA. My TA has never sent as much as a bottle but it could be because I only book specials and switch quite a bit.( X does not have a future "Y" cruise to cover on-board booking deposits .. you must book then switch)

I would like a TA who represents a company that can get the best prices because of quantity pricing... can suggest specials and offer other perks...

but what I really want is a site where I can discuss these issues without breaking the rules...and where names can be mentioned....

uktog, I have to ask you how you came by your log in name. Every time I see it I am reminded of a certain Radio 2 DJ;)

Phil

Got it in one Phil. The great togeister SIR CIN rules ok

What an interesting thread! Last year I had a TA that I thought would be great. I really enjoyed working with her. I booked three cruises (for us and a birthday gift cruise for my a mom and Dad) I found each of the cruises, chose the cabins, found the special deals, booked them and then transferred to her! We even laughed how I was doing al the work! She couldn't even get us the free cruise parking she said she'd work on...

I was CERTAIN that she would remember us with some gesture. NOPE-nothing on any of the cruises. Not even a phone call to follow up. I was extremely disappointed that my business was not appreciated.

She's now my former TA. Her loss--I've booked three cruises since then.

Geesh, if I do all the work, wouldn't you think she would at least have send a bottle of wine to show she appreciated my business?

Archived