From quest. A few thoughts

pacheco18

Wish you and bill were with us

Croatia is breathtaking. We are with private guide in hvar today. Loving it All

The crew on this ship doesn't click. No big deal. We heard AzAmazing evening good but some passengers were rude

Looking forwArd to Russ's show

tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hvar is an absolute jewel isn't it? I am sure you are enjoying a fabulous day there.

And while Russ doesn't quite have Eric's singing voice his warmth and personality more than make up or it. Continue having fun.:p

Hvar is an absolute jewel isn't it? I am sure you are enjoying a fabulous day there.

And while Russ doesn't quite have Eric's singing voice his warmth and personality more than make up or it. Continue having fun.:p

Hvar was divine.

I'm sure his show will be fun

Larraine, How important is it to you that the crew doesnt click..truthfully I never really care..I like a lot of the crew on both ships but dont really care if they mesh..why is that important??

Glad you are having a great time..

Jancruz1

Wish we were there, too! Leaving for Prague next week! Enjoy the remainder of your holiday.

IMO (again, this is just me)it does make a difference when a crew clicks and does not. Azamara is known for its great onboard service and warmth/friendliness of the crew. When that is not there, it does change the atmoshphere of the cruise. On our last cruise there were a lot of distractions and the usual amazing onboard experience was underwhelming. It is not a reason not to cruise with Azamara again.....just a change from what we were accustomed to and loved.

Wish we were there, too! Leaving for Prague next week! Enjoy the remainder of your holiday.

IMO (again, this is just me)it does make a difference when a crew clicks and does not. Azamara is known for its great onboard service and warmth/friendliness of the crew. When that is not there, it does change the atmoshphere of the cruise. On our last cruise there were a lot of distractions and the usual amazing onboard experience was underwhelming. It is not a reason not to cruise with Azamara again.....just a change from what we were accustomed to and loved.

Jan. My friend nonrev1 is correct. What made me return to Azamara was that warm and fuzzy on board experience. It is totally absent this cruise. The cutbacks are obvious to me as well. Few smiles on the faces of the staff. I would call this an unhappy ship.

Oceania is clearly my intended home. Bob and I both agree that we prefer it and we are trying Seabourn too

Pacheco..I follow your posts because I think we have a lot in common with our selections. My 1st cruise with AZ was several years prior and I thought the whole experience was fabulous. I loved the mahogany and dark blue colors and it's understated elegance. Off to a B2B on Oceania new Riviera next and truly enjoyed. We prefer to buy our bottle of wine for evening dinner (no need to get polluted at lunch) and most often do our own private drivers for excursions. I highly recommended AZ to my Aussie friends we had met on O who spend large amounts of time abroad on cruises. After our AZ cruise this past May, I was embarrassed to recommend due to the unsatisfactory conditions of our cabin and mold, dirty carpets, odors etc. We cancelled our Croatia cruise, but will be on Silversea to experience almost the same itinerary. Looking forward to hearing about your travels thru Croatia and and happy you agree with my experience. We love O

Jan. My friend nonrev1 is correct. What made me return to Azamara was that warm and fuzzy on board experience. It is totally absent this cruise. The cutbacks are obvious to me as well. Few smiles on the faces of the staff. I would call this an unhappy ship.

Oceania is clearly my intended home. Bob and I both agree that we prefer it and we are trying Seabourn too

OK, I do understand..I have always had that feeling on Azamara but I do know lots of the staff from years ago..

I will be interested in your opinion of Seabourn since passengers still smoke on the balconies..

Jancruz1

I think you are right. For us, the crew--on both ships--has always "clicked." Takes two to click.

I think there are many factors that can affect the vibe of a cruise, even with a positive attitude from the guests. Length of cruise, cruise destination, weather, demographics, etc. If our only cruise on Azamara was our last cruise which was West Indies during New Year's Eve holiday time, we would not have rebooked. Luckily our first cruise was a 10 day Mediterranean cruise which was delightful in so many ways. We both feel the Caribbean does not bring out Azamara's strength and the large multi generational family groups that were on board during the holidays created congestion in the lounges and specialty restaurants. We are hoping it was just an off cruise and not the norm. If our Panama cruise in 2016 disappoints, I doubt I will get DH to book Azamara again. Time will tell, but my point is a positive attitude doesn't always make a cruise really good.

OK, I do understand..I have always had that feeling on Azamara but I do know lots of the staff from years ago..

I will be interested in your opinion of Seabourn since passengers still smoke on the balconies..

Jancruz1

That does not bother me

The tacky art auctions do

Today it is Thomas kinkade

Yuck

Pacheco..I follow your posts because I think we have a lot in common with our selections. My 1st cruise with AZ was several years prior and I thought the whole experience was fabulous. I loved the mahogany and dark blue colors and it's understated elegance. Off to a B2B on Oceania new Riviera next and truly enjoyed. We prefer to buy our bottle of wine for evening dinner (no need to get polluted at lunch) and most often do our own private drivers for excursions. I highly recommended AZ to my Aussie friends we had met on O who spend large amounts of time abroad on cruises. After our AZ cruise this past May, I was embarrassed to recommend due to the unsatisfactory conditions of our cabin and mold, dirty carpets, odors etc. We cancelled our Croatia cruise, but will be on Silversea to experience almost the same itinerary. Looking forward to hearing about your travels thru Croatia and and happy you agree with my experience. We love O

There are so many deficiencies on this cruise

Tacky art auctions

Mdr is never open for breakfSt or lunch. Cutbacks

Fruit is awful

Mood is somber

Listened to orchestra last night. They need to practice other than saxophonist who was the star

Everything done on the cheap. Even the comment cards are cheaply done

Bedding needs to be refreshed

The self service buffet is a germ factory

Free wine is mostly undrinkable and I'm not that picky.

Yes. You can go hiking with the captain. That's not why I cruise

I recommended Azamara to friends based on my last cruise. They booked for next summer. I am going to try to get them to cancel. I know they will not be happy

My husband who never complains is complaining

You can't have a top tier cruise line without a financial investment

Laraine, I think you must be on a different ship from our Quest cruise on Sept 1st.

For us:-

MDR was open every day for breakfast and for lunch on Sea Days.

Never saw even one " tacky art auction" on our cruise....although I do agree that the "Art" for sale on board is mostly very tacky. No one in their right mind would buy "Art" from Park West...I just ignore the little Park West corner.

Fruit was perfectly acceptable.

Most free wines perfectly drinkable too. One or two like the Gebert Bertrand, the Chianti and the NZ Sauvignon Blanc were very good IMHO. I didn't like the Portuguese wines but that's just me.

We had a great group of passengers on board. Lots of interesting and lively people to talk to and a really good vibe on board. Lots of music, dancing and a great live band.....the new Russian piano player in the Quest Orchestra was very too. Max was excellent, as always.

Crew seemed very happy to us....saw lots of old friends and we were welcomed back enthusiastically. Lots of smiling happy faces as usual.

Our cabin and bedding was kept sparklingly clean by our lovely cabin stewardess. Bedding was absolutely fine and we had no complaints at all....and anyone who knows me would say that I'm a clean freak!

I don't know how you can say that the Buffet is a "germ factory" ....not our experience at all. For the first 24 hours of any cruise the guests are all served the food until the Captain has given the all clear that no new guest has brought Norovirus on board. Windows cafe always seems very clean to me and unlike my experience on Oceania, Silversea and Celebrity, I have never seen Azamara guests pawing the buffet food.

I respect your view that you will never cruise on Azamara again and the Azamara experience isn't for you, but I did feel it was only balanced and fair to say that your opinions of an Azamara Quest cruise are not mine.....or, I think many other cruisers. Its sad that you have not enjoyed your cruise, apart from the itinerary. I was at Hvar a couple of weeks ago and agree it'a a little jewel of a place. I don't know if you found it but there is a little shop there selling hand dyed yarn in beautiful colours. The shop also sells unusual hand knitted scarves. I was a knitting devotee like you then I'm sure I would have made a purchase there.

I would also say that you should mention any cleanliness concerns to he Hotel Director on board rather than just on Cruise Critic. He would be very disappointed if any guest had problems and would do everything possible to sort it out.

Edited by Lottie A

Laraine, I think you must be on a different ship from our Quest cruise on Sept 1st.

For us:-

MDR was open every day for breakfast and for lunch on Sea Days.

Never saw even one " tacky art auction" on our cruise....although I do agree that the "Art" for sale on board is mostly very tacky. No one in their right mind would buy "Art" from Park West...I just ignore the little Park West corner.

Fruit was perfectly acceptable.

Most free wines perfectly drinkable too. One or two like the Gebert Bertrand, the Chianti and the NZ Sauvignon Blanc were very good IMHO. I didn't like the Portuguese wines but that's just me.

We had a great group of passengers on board. Lots of interesting and lively people to talk to and a really good vibe on board. Lots of music, dancing and a great live band.....the new Russian piano player in the Quest Orchestra was very too. Max was excellent, as always.

Crew seemed very happy to us....saw lots of old friends and we were welcomed back enthusiastically. Lots of smiling happy faces as usual.

Our cabin and bedding was kept sparklingly clean by our lovely cabin stewardess. Bedding was absolutely fine and we had no complaints at all....and anyone who knows me would say that I'm a clean freak!

I don't know how you can say that the Buffet is a "germ factory" ....not our experience at all. For the first 24 hours of any cruise the guests are all served the food until the Captain has given the all clear that no new guest has brought Norovirus on board. Windows cafe always seems very clean to me and unlike my experience on Oceania, Silversea and Celebrity, I have never seen Azamara guests pawing the buffet food.

I respect your view that you will never cruise on Azamara again and the Azamara experience isn't for you, but I did feel it was only balanced and fair to say that your opinions of an Azamara Quest cruise are not mine.....or, I think many other cruisers. Its sad that you have not enjoyed your cruise, apart from the itinerary. I was at Hvar a couple of weeks ago and agree it'a a little jewel of a place. I don't know if you found it but there is a little shop there selling hand dyed yarn in beautiful colours. The shop also sells unusual hand knitted scarves. I was a knitting devotee like you then I'm sure I would have made a purchase there.

I would also say that you should mention any cleanliness concerns to he Hotel Director on board rather than just on Cruise Critic. He would be very disappointed if any guest had problems and would do everything possible to sort it out.

Of course my opinions are my own. I don't speak for anyone else

I put everything in the comments

A self serve buffet is a germ factory. I sneeze into my hand. I touch the arm of the chair. I shake hands with someone. Then I handle the utensils. Times 700 passengers

My cruise is entirely different from yours. Very disappointing. Fortunately our trip is really about our two weeks InTuscany to follow. We love the ports. Not the ship

My stewardess is great. She has little to work with IMO. Robes are nice Towels fine

Bedding should be replaced. Not dirty. Worn. Old.

Mdr closed except for dinner

Russian pianist ok. Total orchestra off key a lot. SAd we love music and there is none. People watching football instead In bar on 5. Ridiculous

My private guide in Montenegro is the one the ship used for narration on the sail in. Fabulous.

I was on the Quest on 1st September too. The main reason the buffet wasn't a germ factory on that cruise was that we were not allowed to serve ourselves until the penultimate day. I guess they figured if we got ill after that it wouldn't be their problem.

The fact the MDR was only open for one lunch session and one brunch session is a deal-breaker for me as I cannot abide searching the buffet for a table which always seemed to be the case at lunchtime, whether you went early or late. They did produce a few extra small tables & chairs from somewhere in the course of the week so it was obviously a recognised problem. As an alternative, I tried the outdoor grill area one luchtime and found the burger inedible (even the bun was greasy) and the onion rings looked to have been re-fried a number of timnes.

I actually ate more fruit that week than I usually do at home!

As for comment sheets, I didn't receive one nor have I received the electronic survey I read about in this forum. I didn't have a lot to complain about but I did make 2 specific complaints during the week (one to Reception and one to a Restaurant supervisor/manager) which were not followed up in any whatsoever.

A self serve buffet is a germ factory. I sneeze into my hand. I touch the arm of the chair. I shake hands with someone. Then I handle the utensils. Times 700 passengers

I do prefer the Oceania way of being served in the buffet.

Have you remembered to try the ice-cream?

Isn't the MDR open for breakfast? if so that is poor.

Perhaps Bonnie can let us know whether the closure of the MDR (except for dinner) is going to be permanent. If so, that is indeed a huge cutback. I can understand, however, if Azamara thinks not too many will notice. Whenever we've had breakfast there (and we like to do that on sea days or when we have a late start) there aren't many people being served. Still, a cutback is still a cutback.

I also wonder if it is true that cabin attendants are now responsible for more cabins? (This was posted in another thread) If there are staff cutbacks, it could account for a less happy crew.

As for the art auctions, I guess Park Lane has a lucrative contract with Azamara which benefits both financially. But on our last cruise, we attended an art auction (there were a few) just to see what was going on....there were just a handful of people and most seemed there to observe...certainly no one we saw was buying anything! It is a shame that the area in Mosaic which used to be for the piano is now for the art auction table.

The art auction's presence does grate, even though they have been back on Azamara for a while. I can't help associating it with high pressure sales and taking advantage. I know, buyer beware, and you can ignore the hoopla - but it still doesn't ring true for me on the small Az vessels.

Your statement about the MDR being closed except for dinner luckily falls into the category of your previous statement "of course my opinions are my own." It's your opinon that it's not open. The fact is that is is open and there are no plans to change its breakfast service. However, sometimes Discoveries does not open until 8 am, rather than 7:30 am, so I guess for one slim half hour time slot your statement might be correct.

Perhaps Bonnie can let us know whether the closure of the MDR (except for dinner) is going to be permanent. If so, that is indeed a huge cutback. I can understand, however, if Azamara thinks not too many will notice. Whenever we've had breakfast there (and we like to do that on sea days or when we have a late start) there aren't many people being served. Still, a cutback is still a cutback.

I have not heard that the MDR has been closed. I'll see if I can find out anything for you.

I have not heard that the MDR has been closed. I'll see if I can find out anything for you.

Bonnie, I already called. The customer service rep, Vinnie, made a direct phone call to the Quest and confirmed--straight from the horse's mouth as it were--that Discoveries IS open for breakfast and lunch, same as it always has. He did say, however, that sometimes breakfast service doesn't start at 7:30 am, but rather 8:00 am. There are no plans to shut down breakfast or lunch service that anyone on the Quest knows anything about.

Edited by dln929

I thought a lot of the comments were strange. We were on Quest for 30 days in August and had an incredibly great cruise experience. The crew was awesome, we are rather picky about our wine, and thought the majority of the free wines were very good to excellent, if they served one we did not like, they would immediately replace it with one that we did. Max DiFaz was at t he piano almost every evening in the Lux at a couple of times, and at the pool once or twice during each week. He did not leave for vacation until, I believe today. The MDR was open for breakfast and has no plans on closing. To each his own I guess......

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

Bonnie, I already called. The customer service rep, Vinnie, made a direct phone call to the Quest and confirmed--straight from the horse's mouth as it were--that Discoveries IS open for breakfast and lunch, same as it always has. He did say, however, that sometimes breakfast service doesn't start at 7:30 am, but rather 8:00 am. There are no plans to shut down breakfast or lunch service that anyone on the Quest knows anything about.

Yes, you and others are correct, the Discoveries Restaurant is OPEN FOR BREAKFAST everyday. I checked to verify with the ship that there hadn't been something out of the ordinary, but am reassured the MDR is and has been open.

Thanks all for your input.

Bonnie

I assume that because pacheco arranges for so many private tours that she is looking for an earlier breakfast. Opening at 8 AM is very late for anyone on a port day.

Not for me Pam! I am on holiday and have no intention of getting up early! I do that enough in my working week.

We usually amble along to breakfast in the MDR about 9 am or thereabouts, have a leisurely breakfast, then sometimes a coffee in Mosaic and get off the ship about 10:30 am. Of course, we are often up til 2am, dancing, chatting and generally having lots of fun, so why would we be at breakfast so early. I think its perfect for those who want to be off the ship at the crack of dawn to have their early breakfast in Windows and then the rest of us can enjoy the peace of a later breakfast in Discoveries.