Suite Guests Ordering off MDR menu?

tangogulf

I know that one of the perks provided to full suite guests is that they can order room service off the daily MDR menus during MDR opening hrs. However I have read many reviews and comments about people actually having difficulty being able to actually do this. In some cases I've read where when calling room service suite guests have been told they can only order from the standard room service menu. Is this something that others have experienced? Is it a bit "hit and miss" or is it something that seems to vary by ship? Asking because DW and I have a GS booked for an upcoming 16 nighter on Radiance and I'm thinking one of those nights we'd likely want to just "order in" so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that one of the perks provided to full suite guests is that they can order room service off the daily MDR menus during MDR opening hrs. However I have read many reviews and comments about people actually having difficulty being able to actually do this. In some cases I've read where when calling room service suite guests have been told they can only order from the standard room service menu. Is this something that others have experienced? Is it a bit "hit and miss" or is it something that seems to vary by ship? Asking because DW and I have a GS booked for an upcoming 16 nighter on Radiance and I'm thinking one of those nights we'd likely want to just "order in" so to speak.

We were on Radiance in Alaska this past May. JD the concierge is one of the best. He leaves MDR menus every day in you special Suite folder. You get a phone recorded message daily. If you ever have a problem, let him know- he will resolve immediately.

Hope you don't have GS 1532- noise above in Park cafe at 4:30 am.

Have a great time.

Lynn

We always stay in a GS, and plan dinner in our room (balcony) at least one night during the cruise...

One time, when I called room service, they did not understand what I was doing and I had to explain to them I was in a suite, etc, etc....

They put someone else on the line and we got things sorted out...

But that was years ago, and now things run a lot smoother now....

We like the way they come in, put down a tablecloth and set the table quickly and efficiently and a large tip is always in order...

Edited by B-52

I haven't read any of those reviews or comments. Would you please point me in their direction? :)

I haven't read any of those reviews or comments. Would you please point me in their direction? :)

There was a a post a few months ago about someone not being able to order full MDR menu while on Indy. Can't point you to a specific post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was Indy in May and never had any issues ordering off MDR menu for in room dining. They were fantastic and the service was quicker than they said. Looking forward to the same when I am on Indy again in November.

I also haven't seen any negative reviews or comments but I am sure they exist somewhere!

I have also sailed twice on Allure in a GS. The first time, there were no problems at all. The second time, there was a couple of issues regarding whether we could order dessert as well - one person said no, another said yes. We did get it in the end and it wasn't a huge problem.

I will be on Radiance in May, so please report back how you got on :)

I have had the opportunity to sail on 5 RCI ships in suites, and when we ordered off the MDR menu, we had no problems.

Food was cooked to our taste and presentation was done very well even down to the mini salt and pepper shakers.

Sea ya

Your post about JD brought back some great memories.

The first night in the Radiance, Sydney to Honolulu, while walking thru the Schooner Bar, I hear, Mr. C, I didn't see you in the lounge tonight, is everything OK?

Wow, he knows all his suite guests by name on the first night without even meeting them. One of his many many world class talents, totally decicated to WOW service......

Hope many of you have the opportunity to sail with JD, combine with Clo as Cruise Director and you will never want to leave the ship........

Thanks for the memories.......

We've gotten the run around when ordering the Suite breakfast once or twice. Resolved in fairly short order, though. They almost always give us the line about how it'll be 45 minutes to an hour (or more), and the food always shows up 10-15 minutes later. (Which has resulted in more than one mad dash into the bathroom!) :D

The only problem we've had is us. We say we'll do it every time we book a suite but then never do. We've done breakfast several times but never dinner. Between specialty restaurants and attending formal nights, it seems like we always run out of nights.:rolleyes:

Maybe we need to take longer cruises. ;)

Edited by Big_G

We always stay in a GS, and plan dinner in our room (balcony) at least one night during the cruise...

One time, when I called room service, they did not understand what I was doing and I had to explain to them I was in a suite, etc, etc....

They put someone else on the line and we got things sorted out...

But that was years ago, and now things run a lot smoother now....

We like the way they come in, put down a tablecloth and set the table quickly and efficiently and a large tip is always in order...

We've booked our first suite and we're planning on ordering in once or twice. Just curious as to an appropriate tip (assuming great service, etc.)

have enjoyed this perk more than once....especially aboard Liberty last March....

really appreciated being able to order off the MDR menu when we were late in returning from an off-ship excursion and had to shower leaving us no time to be seated for MTD....

room service delivered a hot & delicious dinner for the 4 of us to our Suite and even delivered our dessert selections some 30 minutes later so the desserts would not be melted and the others chilled as should be when served

I notice that Owner's Suites have a relatively small table and Grand Suites only have the coffee table. Do you have enough room to comfortably eat a multi-course meal in the suites. I assume they bring all courses at once.

I notice that Owner's Suites have a relatively small table and Grand Suites only have the coffee table. Do you have enough room to comfortably eat a multi-course meal in the suites. I assume they bring all courses at once.

I'd be OK eating dinner at the table in an OS, but with the GS we would be eating off the coffee table.

OOPS! Wrong board.

Edited by socreader

They bring all courses at once. Sometimes on a big tray that they will place on a counter (like in GS) sometimes they bring it on a cart and have left the cart. When done eating call and they will come and get it.

We generally tip $5 or more, depending on how much they bring, do they bring a table cloth, set up table, etc.

Tip whatever you wish. They always seem to be happy with what they get.

They bring all courses at once. Sometimes on a big tray that they will place on a counter (like in GS) sometimes they bring it on a cart and have left the cart. When done eating call and they will come and get it.

We generally tip $5 or more, depending on how much they bring, do they bring a table cloth, set up table, etc.

Tip whatever you wish. They always seem to be happy with what they get.

Appreciate the information about the tip. Booked our first suite and do plan on dining-in a time or two. The amount was about what I figured but it's nice to know your in the ball park.

Thanks Again.

Thanks for all the info guys. Feel a lot more confident now that all should be OK. Any issues and sounds like I can just raise it with JD (I believe he will be the Concierge on our Cruise).

Link one review I found where the Room Service was an issue and this was a review by a TA:

http://www.ilovetocruiseblog.com/2009/12/life-in-a-suite/

I have seen others just can't remember where they all were.