San Diego hotels/parking

Jim Avery

I searched this topic on the HAL board but the most recent info that came up was 2011. We are booked on Veendam 12/20-12/27 and want to get information on convenient hotels and best way to handle parking in San Diego. Our first cruise out of SD. Thanks for any help.

I searched this topic on the HAL board but the most recent info that came up was 2011. We are booked on Veendam 12/20-12/27 and want to get information on convenient hotels and best way to handle parking in San Diego. Our first cruise out of SD. Thanks for any help.

I am sailing out of San Diego earlier in December. I booked the Wyndham - only because it is directly across the street from the cruise pier. It looks to be okay for one night. I would say not close to 5* - but not a dump. Can't help you with parking.

Edited by Linda&Vern

The year end holidays are a very busy time in San Diego with at least one football bowl game. We have stayed at Porto Vista Hotel in Little Italy area. They have a shuttle to cruise terminal. Not certain if they would allow you to park a car for that length of time or the cost. You will probably find hotel prices on the high side at this time of year.

We have been parking at the Wyndam for the past 5 years for New Years cruises. Was Holiday Inn 2 years ago, we also stay the nite before. We go thru a airport parking service called ParkRideFly USA and the price for us this years for 8 days is $68.43 with a AAA discount. Its easy and all we do is roll our suitcases across the street to the cruise terminal. The hotel is ok and does the job for t he one nite, there is a fun pub downstairs thats fun also. Its convientent and the price is right from parknride .:):):)

The Wyndham is very convenient if you do not have a car, however their parking rates will add up. San Diego has some hotels that do offer stay, park and cruise. I've spent the night before the cruise at the Days Inn in Mission Valley (very basic hotel), parked the car there and had free shuttle to/from port. That was very convenient and less expensive than paying for parking at the port.

Here's a link to some of the participating hotels:

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/cruises/cruise-friendly-hotels-in-san-diego.aspx

As the port is so close to the airport, you will probably find cheaper parking there but you would have to shuttle to the hotel then get back to the airport to ransom your car. Much less hassle to leave the car at your hotel but thought I would mention an option.

There is no need to park at the airport as there is a cruise parking lot right across the street from the ships. Here is some information:

http://www.thebigbay.com/san-diego-cruise-ships-tips.html

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/cruises/cruise-friendly-hotels-in-san-diego.aspx

igraf

San Diego

As the port is so close to the airport, you will probably find cheaper parking there but you would have to shuttle to the hotel then get back to the airport to ransom your car. Much less hassle to leave the car at your hotel but thought I would mention an option.
Edited by igraf

We use the 5 Star lot across from the pier for short cruises, as the rate last time we used it was $15 per day. Pricey but so convenient!

Our TA booked us through a company they use with a park stay cruise at the Best Western Yacht Harbor. It came with 14 days of parking, and additional days (which we will need ) are $5 per day. Finding a hotel with parking in San Diego for a long cruise was a challenge.

Karen

Parking is easy, there are so many that will drop you off when you arrive to go to your hotel, take a cab when you disembark.