Meanwhile, on the Oasis of the Seas…. Photos in dry-dock.

Alphen

I cannot even begin to imagine the stress someone must be under to have responsiblity for $1.2B (Oasis in dry dock) worth of capital equipment.

Fortunately the Superintendent is responsible for the shipyard budget (for technical) and the VP of Refurbishment handles the hotel budget. I still remember hesitating before signing for the every other week's $1.5 million fuel bill.

Here is the first picture I've seen of the inside renovations. This is the Champagne Bar.

champagne_bar_construction.jpg

The picture and the note below about the 'press moment' were both posted on the Netherlands Facebook page.

Corrie Verbeek Vanavond in Hart van Nederland een uitgebreide reportage van het gigantische schip om 19.00 op SBS6.

Tonight in heart of the gigantic ship a in-depth report of Netherlands at 19.00 on SBS6. (Translated by Bing)

I guess if you have access to Dutch TV, you can listen in :D

Michael...

This may not be a renovation to the Champagne Bar at all. It looks to me like they've set up an upholstery shop there. When we reflagged the Norwegian Sky to the Pride of Aloha, we set up the Outrigger bar with some large temporary power panels that fed 30 sewing machines and half a dozen band saws. There were two shifts of upholsterers using every one of those sewing machines for nearly 3 weeks.

This may not be a renovation to the Champagne Bar at all. It looks to me like they've set up an upholstery shop there. When we reflagged the Norwegian Sky to the Pride of Aloha, we set up the Outrigger bar with some large temporary power panels that fed 30 sewing machines and half a dozen band saws. There were two shifts of upholsterers using every one of those sewing machines for nearly 3 weeks.

I was wondering that too...it looks more like a staging area in a common location.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Quote:

Corrie Verbeek Vanavond in Hart van Nederland een uitgebreide reportage van het gigantische schip om 19.00 op SBS6.

Tonight in heart of the gigantic ship a in-depth report of Netherlands at 19.00 on SBS6. (Translated by Bing)

I do not read Dutch, but from what I can tell, Hart van Nederland is a newsprogram on the SBS network. The website address of the program is:

hartvannederland.nl (with the usual w's in front). Afraid if I post full link, it will be deleted.

Scroll down on the website and there is a picture of the aft of the Oasis with the same info quote. Tried to view some of the reports, but didn't have much luck. Once this is aired maybe someone here can make it work.

Further research edit: Found clips on Youtube of this program. Really hope someone will post on Youtube so we can have access.

Edited by denamo

I don't know what she is talking about but some great shots inside the ship.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/tv/nieuws/binnenland/23172470/__Exclusief_kijkje_op_Oasis_of_the_Seas__.html

This video is great!! Thanks for posting.

The person being interviewed is Yvonne Huizinga. According to LinkedIn, she is an "Owner / Director at Amca - Royal Caribbean Int'l, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises NL"

Michael...

This thread is very interesting and you have provided such great insight to all of us. Thank you so much!

This video is great!! Thanks for posting.

The person being interviewed is Yvonne Huizinga. According to LinkedIn, she is an "Owner / Director at Amca - Royal Caribbean Int'l, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises NL"

Michael...

Harola from the upcoming Westbound TA cruise provided a synopsis of the interview:

She does not say things we do not know.... She talks about the renovation of the ship. New thrusters, engine, etc. And that Royal took the opportunity to change the inside of the ship as well, new carpets, new cabins and new restaurants. People are asking for more luxurious suites so they made more suites. As they cannot make the ship any bigger, they had to sacrify some spaces. Same for demand of more fine dining experience, creating new restaurants. Cruisemarket is booming

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I second that. Chengkp75 has provided so much feedback and insight here based on experience and its really facinating to read and learn about these things. I have always been facinated with ships and ship building so the insight he and others have provided are great. Thank you to all.