Don't bring your own washing machine!

That's because they are closing the Viking Crown Lounge and putting in a Best Buy and they want you to buy all of your electronics and appliances while on-board!!

Love this!! LOL :D:D:D

I believe that there is a real issue with the prices of imported, durable goods in Brazil as opposed to the EU -so I am sure there are Brazilians who have thought this was a way to get the stuff at better prices and transported for "free".
I agree and anyone who has taken flights to South America will understand this.

I am fairly sure, as others have said, that this is to limit importing from the EU to Brasil.

If you ever have taken a flight from Miami to Havana, you should see what is brought both into the cabin and in the hold!

I was gonna bring my 50" plasma tv in my carry-on, do you think they'll be looking hard enough to spot it?

Not if you have a big enough Rum Rummer to put it in.

Hmmm...this could launch a whole new rum runner product line: Appliance Runners!

My son's good friend lived in Brazil, and married there, too. When my son visited, he got an email from his friend with a list of items to please buy and bring with him. Weird stuff like gardening gloves and miscellaneous household items. Seems they were practically impossible to find there.

So, the warning from RCCL is probably intendedfor Brazilian residents who are going to go shopping in Europe and bring the stuff home where they either cannot buy them, or they are HUGELY expensive.

When our daughter & son in law moved back to the U.S. from London in 2013 they did so by a Transatlantic cruise into Galveston.

They sold all their furniture & packed everything else (books, gaming equipment, clothes, paintings that they had collected on their 4.5 years of travel) into 8 suitcases & lugged it all on the ship.

The TA was cheaper than what the luggage expense would have been on a flight. Plus they had 14 days of rest & relaxation on their way home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus you can make your martinis in your cabin too! Just rinse it well after the underwear and socks come out.

I love multi-tasking equipment.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

We are travelling on the Splendour repositioning cruise on November 22nd (Barcelona to Sao Paulo). We have just received a message from Royal Caribbean, which includes the following sentence:

'No Carton Boxes, household appliances including, but not limited to, Dishwashers, Dryers, Washing Machines and Large Screen Televisions will be permitted onboard in Barcelona or any of the scheduled ports of call on the itinerary.'

I think that must rank as the most unusual information I've ever been given about a cruise!

Depending on home country travellers may see what to them bargains on certain goods and transport them home. I have seen a similar situation where military people from various NATO countries buy up computers, TVs etc and take home after deployment.

I noticed on the docs for my upcoming cruise it said... 'Please note that the maximum limit for luggage for your cruise is 200lbs (90KG) per guest.' The people taking any 'extra' items must be worried now! :p ;)

We met the folks staying in the Royal Suite on a Transatlantic several years ago. They lived in Spain and brought several thousand dollars worth of artwork in huge crates aboard. For them it was cheaper than shipping it.

I guess it has gotten out of hand for a lot of ports, particularly going to South America.

It's not cheap to buy appliances and electronics in most SA countries. People bring in stuff (smuggle) for their own use or to sell on the black market by avoiding the taxes and duty. It's a big enough problem that when we entered Ecuador, they made everyone getting off the plane go through a scanner on the way INTO the country to make sure no one had new electronics or appliances. Clearly, a washer won't fit on a plane, but obviously someone has tried it on a cruise ship;)

I found this message hysterical yet odd, then I retread it. It made a tad more sense as can re confirm the poster who mentioned her experience in MIA.

The tell all was mention of the op cruise ending in Sao paolo. Those from South America fly up often to miami specifically to shop for anything/everything especially appliances. I guess things are also more reasonable in Barcelona.

If you brought you're own barbeque, you could order your steak raw and then cook it to order yourself. :D

Before I was a FNP, I used to work in the ICU. We once had a family who set up a charcoal bbq in the waiting area. They were shocked when they were told to put it out, but I have never seen it on a cruise.

B

My husband works with a few guys from Brazil. They often have to come to the Houston office and friends and family give them money to go shopping. They hit up Best Buy and have heaps of excess baggage to take back with them. As someone else mentioned, the South Americans are always easy to spot at the airport :D

We, my husband and I have often joked about asking how much it would cost to transport all our stuff (in a 40ft container) on a US to Australia cruise when we relocate back to Aus from Houston next year.

*** Please note - we joke about it. It's not a serious option but I wish it was!

Edited by joandian

We, my husband and I have often joked about asking how much it would cost to transport all our stuff (in a 40ft container) on a US to Australia cruise when we relocate back to Aus from Houston next year.

*** Please note - we joke about it. It's not a serious option but I wish it was!

Are you sure you don't want to think about it? I'm seeing quotes of about US$5000 for a 40' from Houston to big ports like Sydney or Adelaide, and shipping times of about five weeks. $10000 will probably get it door to door.

We live in the Alaskian bush, Kotzebue to be exact. Cost of living is very high (20.00 for 6 pk of TP etc) Alaska Air allows 3 baggage item 50.00 each within the state. So a flight from Anchorage to here looks like an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies. Every person including kids with 3 tubs of food and a carry on item of a turkey, several pot roasts or 6 cartons of eggs. It is an expierence. When I went to the village on a bush plane a couple of weeks ago one isle was passengers the other isle was bread and staple products. It is a different life here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Forums mobile app