Take an upsell from SB deck 5 aft-wrap to Penthouse?

DaveOKC

We were fortunate to be in the PS on a Panama Canal trip and loved it. The view is spectacular. I did a little timelapse video of one set of locks with the camera on the railing. It is at:

Would do it again if offered an upsell...

So people don't tie up the room by making an online reservation that blocks the room for 24+ hours and then don't follow through,

Call me blonde but I still don't understand how that works???!! How does Joe Average that wants to book a PS know if it's available???

What I don't understand is that some of the cruises show the PS, even though it is fades out to show it has been booked, and I understand that. However some cruises don't even show the PS as a selection of cabin, sold or not:confused::confused:

Hopefully the poster will come back and let us know how he knows that. I have seen the PH listed on some cruises so it's completely false that it's never shown.

Did someone say "never" ?? I said "sometimes"

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Just got an upsell offer from HAL to upgrade from my deck 5 aft-wrap (with a huge balcony) to the Penthouse for $1100 per person. We are on an 11 day, Panama Canal partial transit, to/from Fort Lauderdale.

Any advice? I would love to try the Penthouse, but on the other hand I am really looking forward to the great aft-wrap cabin for the Canal. What a great problem to have!

I would in a blink up grade.

So they only show it when they think it won't be tied up:rolleyes:. That makes no sense.

Oh my.... I give up. That is not what I said either. Have a nice day.... Bye :rolleyes:

Edited by Sam.Seattle

The PS does not always show available if there are several segments on your cruise.

HAL will offer it to separate segments and have it show booked on a collectors' cruise for example. If you are interested in it, your TA can ask for it to be pulled from inventory and then you will have pricing and can book it if you want.

Just my experience

• 11 months later...
Keep the aft-wrap. You can't go wrong!

Too late now - my cruise was last Dec.! For the record, I kept the deck 5 aft-wrap and we were sure glad that we did as it was the perfect place for viewing in the Panama Canal.

I had an aft wrap on deck 4 when we went thru the Canal. It was really great. It was right on the edge of the Zuiderdam, and I was really on top of the gates. That said, however, there was minimal roof to shield you from the sun, and it was really windy. Dave OKC was up on deck 5 where there was an overhang, and he has indicated it was a lot better. By the way, it was a long walk to the Neptune Lounge.

Sone ships have a different stern arrangement, so depending, you might get more shielding.

Just got an upsell offer from HAL to upgrade from my deck 5 aft-wrap (with a huge balcony) to the Penthouse for $1100 per person. We are on an 11 day, Panama Canal partial transit, to/from Fort Lauderdale.

Any advice? I would love to try the Penthouse, but on the other hand I am really looking forward to the great aft-wrap cabin for the Canal. What a great problem to have!

We booked aft wrap 5191 on the advise of our PCC on the Z'dam for the Panama Canal trip you are on and were absolutely thrilled. There is no better view of the locks in operation as you have a view in three directions. When you say Penthouse, do you mean Pinnacle Suite? We looked at that idea, but having the largest covered veranda on the ship sold us on the aft location. You have shade or sun when you want it and some shelter from the wind while at sea, especially when compared to the location of the Pinnacle Suites. I really liked the idea of a separate living room and an extra bath, but I wouldn't spend an extra $2200, or $3300 if there's three passengers, on the up-sell. We presently have three cruises booked, all in aft wraps, so we are obviously sold on the location.

Edited by blizzardboy

Call me blonde but I still don't understand how that works???!! How does Joe Average that wants to book a PS know if it's available???

Mr. Obvious wants to know if you've thought about calling HAL? You can also go through the booking process on-line and see if it's an available choice.

Sorry for the "ex post facto" remarks. I didn't notice that this thread started a year ago.

Sorry for the "ex post facto" remarks. I didn't notice that this thread started a year ago.

No problem - I just wanted readers to know that the issue is no longer valid and what my thoughts were after the cruise.