wine in carry on??

LALAFRANCE

Yes, it makes no difference where you drink it. You can bring as many as you want and pay the $15 per 750ml bottle and drink it wherever you want.

Cheers

This. (Make sure the stickers don't fall off of the bottles.)

It's not a matter of them opening it for you. It's a matter of them losing money because you aren't drinking their booze.

I'm not sure about maritime regulations but land based liquor licenses have provisions where alcohol has to be regulated on the licensed premises and should be purchased through the license for that property. Special occasion bottles can be brought in limited quantities but the corkage is a way to track consumption for liability reasons. Similar considerations may be at play at sea but they aren't as important because no matter how much you beg & plead they probably won't let you drive the ship. :D

do you have to carry it on? can you send it with checked bags? Where do you pay the corkage fee?

It's better to have it in carryon because in checked baggage they might send you to the naughty room. You will be directed where to go at checkin to have the corkage charged to your onboard account.

We normally bring 7 bottles and pay the corkage for 5 of them. We do not pay the corkage for the 2 bottles we'll drink in our room. Never had a problem...

Hm, curious how that goes at the corkage fee table..

"Oh skip those two." "Ok sir."

Or the naughty room;

"Sir, would you please open your suitcase? Are those bottles of wine?" "Yep, but we only.." "It's ok sir, off you go, enjoy your cruise!"

Yes, I'd interested in that scenario as well since the rules are that regardless of where you're drinking your wine, you pay the $15 corkage fee and just to be clear "corkage fee" has nothing whatsoever to do with a crew member opening your bottles of wine.

So, if you can do it... why can't I do the same? :confused: Please explain.

They don't look at your carry on. 5 bottles in my bag that I bring to the corkage table. 2 bottles in my wife's bag...

And obviously you bring the stickered bottles to the restaurants...

Edited by WolfRiver

They don't look at your carry on. 5 bottles in my bag that I bring to the corkage table. 2 bottles in my wife's bag...

I found myself laughing out loud when I read, the other 2 bottles are in my WIFE'S BAG. :eek: :D

They may not physically look in your carry-on bags, but every cruise I have been on starting in North America they required carry-on items to go through the scanner. In Seattle, the couple in front of us had a couple of wine bottles in their carry-on suitcase. They got diverted out of the line to pay the required corkage fee. Maybe they do not catch 100% of the wine brought on board, but they seem to do a pretty good job.

If you place liquor in your checked luggage and your bag does not arrive in your room on embarkation day, expect a written invitation to the 'naughty room' later in the day... been there, done that.

They may not physically look in your carry-on bags, but every cruise I have been on starting in North America they required carry-on items to go through the scanner. In Seattle, the couple in front of us had a couple of wine bottles in their carry-on suitcase. They got diverted out of the line to pay the required corkage fee. Maybe they do not catch 100% of the wine brought on board, but they seem to do a pretty good job.

If you place liquor in your checked luggage and your bag does not arrive in your room on embarkation day, expect a written invitation to the 'naughty room' later in the day... been there, done that.

They do scan the bags, but the people that scan the bags don't communicate with those charging the corkage fee, making it an honor system that people will correctly report the number of bottles they are bringing on.

Please keep in mind that on Norwegian, at least in New York, they scan your bags before you get go to corckage table...

So exactly what happens if you get sent to the "naughty room" for having liquor in your checked bag?

So exactly what happens if you get sent to the "naughty room" for having liquor in your checked bag?

1) you waste time standing in line in order to retrieve your bag, 2) they confiscate any liquor found, if it's in original unsealed container they will hold it for you to pick up disembarkation morning (again wasting more time in line unless you decide to contibute it to the trash pile), otherwise they dispose of it. I am not sure if they will allow you to pay the corkage fee for any wine found in your checked bags.