wine in carry on??

LALAFRANCE

Just hand it over in any restaurant or bar. They can take unfinished bottles and keep them too. You'll get a receipt and can give that in any restaurant or bar and they will get your bottle back to you.

One other item that people may not know is that the bar staff member that serves the wine can take the corkage sticker. That sticker gets them some compensation (I was told once they got $5 but I cannot validate that info). So, when I finish a bottle in my cabin, I give it to my favorite bar staff person so that they can properly dispose if it and the corkage sticker.

Amazing, people call me a smuggler and question my morals but I have corkage stickers on all of my wine bottles. Maybe I am not the one with questionable morals.

Let's take SevenSeasCharlie and his three recent cruises.

Trip #1 - Has some booze/drinks in his room (smuggled), and spends $200 at the bar during the cruise.

Trip #2 - Decides to only drink the soda in his room that he brought from home. Does not order in drinks to room, but spends $200 at the bar.

Trip #3 - Decides to only drink soda from home in his cabin. Spends $0 at the bar.

Trip #1 - Cruiseline gets $200 in revenue.

Trip #2 - Cruiseline gets $200 in revenue.

Trip #3 - Cruiseline gets $0. Zip. Nada.

According to some arguments, the cruiseline was deprived of revenue on trip #1, but not on #2 or #3.

( I am not saying that smuggling on the first trip was right, just discussing a scenario)

P.S. - Anybody that thinks eating grapes is not stealing is not worth even discussing this with.

Edited by garycarla

Let's take SevenSeasCharlie and his three recent cruises.

Trip #1 - Has some booze/drinks in his room (smuggled), and spends $200 at the bar during the cruise.

Trip #2 - Decides to only drink the soda in his room that he brought from home. Does not order in drinks to room, but spends $200 at the bar.

Trip #3 - Decides to only drink soda from home in his cabin. Spends $0 at the bar.

Trip #1 - Cruiseline gets $200 in revenue.

Trip #2 - Cruiseline gets $200 in revenue.

Trip #3 - Cruiseline gets $0. Zip. Nada.

According to some arguments, the cruiseline was deprived of revenue on trip #1, but not on #2 or #3.

( I am not saying that smuggling on the first trip was right, just discussing a scenario)

P.S. - Anybody that thinks eating grapes is not stealing is not worth even discussing this with.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree also. The booze consumed in the room in scenario 1 should have been purchased from the cruise line under the contract the passenger agreed to and that makes all of the difference.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree also. The booze consumed in the room in scenario 1 should have been purchased from the cruise line under the contract the passenger agreed to and that makes all of the difference.

Oh, I agree with you. It is the contract, etc.

But - to say one scenario is DEPRIVING or STEALING is a real stretch. Violation of the contract, yes. Stealing?

I guess we have beat this up enough.

Pretty restricted????? Compared to what? :rolleyes:

compared to a cruiseline with a proper corkage policy

i would rather pay 15$ to bring as many bottles as I want as oppose to being restricted on how many i can bring, not being able to drink it anywhere else except in my room and still having to pay 25$ if i want to have it at a restaurant.

This is directly from the NCL website:

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or
violation of Norwegian's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation

I don't know how often they enforce this policy, but is it worth the RISK saving $15 per a bottle?

interesting

but i think it means that i can goto the bathroom stall outside of my stateroom and drink my wine without corkage =)

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

After I pay the corkage fee how do I send it to the dining room for use at dinner? When we don't finish the bottle will they keep it chilled for another night?

locate bottle

place hand on bottle

lift bottle

walk to dining room with bottle in hand

sit down on table

place bottle on table

request server to open bottle

After dinner if there's wine left.

repeat steps above but bring back to room then put into fridge

locate bottle

place hand on bottle

lift bottle

walk to dining room with bottle in hand

sit down on table

place bottle on table

request server to open bottle

After dinner if there's wine left.

repeat steps above but bring back to room then put into fridge

I hate it when people sit on the tables in the dining room. Use the chair!

We just got back from a cruise from Vancouver to L.A. on the Pearl. We carried on two bottles of very nice B.C. wines at Vancouver. The security person mentioned the corkage fee table but we couldn't find it! The only thing we saw in the next room after security was another huge line-up to for registration :eek: and after spending at least 30 minutes in the line just to get to security, I must admit we didn't look for the corkage fee table too hard.;) Do I feel guilty? Not really, if NCl really wanted the corkage fee they would put the corkage fee table in a prominent place, not hidden away somewhere. Also, I figure NCL owes me for making me and DW wait in line for over an hour to board the boat. So after deducting the $30 we owe to NCL from what NCl owes us for the hour or our time, I'm looking forward to receiving a big cheque from NCL very soon!:D

We also bought a bottle of wine in Seattle and brought it back to the ship. The corkage fee table was visible this time. However, after being directed to the table the employee manning it was too busy texting on his phone to be bothered with us! We stood in front of him for over a minute before he acknowledged our existence. Apparently he wasn't expecting anyone to bother stopping by! We had to help him find his receipt pad and bottle stickers. Man that was the hardest I have ever had to work at spending $15 on a cruise!

So talk all you want about cruise contracts and opportunity costs, if the cruise line wants it's corkage fees it may want to work a bit harder and smarter at collecting those fees - in Vancouver and Seattle anyways.

Better yet, let's make this simple and easy for everyone. Don't like NCL or it's booze policy? Don't cruise with NCL.

...and if you don't agree with the politics in every country NCL cruises to, don't cruise NCL...

...and if you're a political vegetarian don't cruise NCL because they serve beef to other passengers...

...and...

...and...

...and if you don't agree with the politics in every country NCL cruises to, don't cruise NCL...

...and if you're a political vegetarian don't cruise NCL because they serve beef to other passengers...

...and...

...and...

No, it really is as simple as if you don't like NCL's policies than cruise with another line whose policies you can abide by. There is no need to make it more complex than it is.

Unfortunately it seems that is too easy for most to comprehend. :(

How many post are there on all the cruise line boards saying " my husband/wife partner/...... ( fill in blanks ) doesn't drink. why cant I buy one package? why must I buy it or both of us ?.

Answer.

Because the cruise community is full of people who spend thousands of pounds/dollars on a cruise and smuggle booze on board, or cheat on the packages. I don't know if people just enjoy the " chase " or are just plain mean.

How many post are there on all the cruise line boards saying " my husband/wife partner/...... ( fill in blanks ) doesn't drink. why cant I buy one package? why must I buy it or both of us ?.

Answer.

Because the cruise community is full of people who spend thousands of pounds/dollars on a cruise and smuggle booze on board, or cheat on the packages. I don't know if people just enjoy the " chase " or are just plain mean.

Or just sail on Celebrity who allows their passengers to buy one package!;)

If I steal a grape, it is stealing. Who here would not think that is stealing? Of course it is stealing. The grocer paid for those grapes and is not getting money back for it.

So, what is it that is being stolen from the cruise line?

I think using the grape scenario is overblown. I have seen many shoppers eat a grape before deciding on a purchase. I think they are just trying to determine, is it sweet or not. And wouldn't this be similar to a store having those sample stations to entice people to sample a product hoping that they would make an impulsive purchase?

Anyway, ridiculing someone who smuggles wine onboard is ridiculous.

Edited by Hondu

I think using the grape scenario is overblown. I have seen many shoppers eat a grape before deciding on a purchase. I think they are just trying to determine, is it sweet or not. And wouldn't this be similar to a store having those sample stations to entice people to sample a product hoping that they would make an impulsive purchase?

Anyway, ridiculing someone who smuggles wine onboard is ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as smuggling itself. :rolleyes:

Answer.

The cruise line requires both the buy the drink package so they do not share it. It is not because people smuggle. Those that smuggle in most cases would not buy the drink package.

In any event, the reason for requiring both to buy the package is NOT because of smugglers.