which line/boat to pick! Help

novaten

Hi everyone- I'm not brand new to cruising, but I thought I'd post on here for some help. I have gone on two cruises before, both on Holland America which were great! This March I want to go on a cruise with one of my best girl friends. We are both in our 40's and teachers. We like to have fun,eat good food, but also relax see things, meet new people etc.

I am going to book through a TA (which I have yet to choose)- I can't decide between which cruise line. My friend has never gone on a cruise and she'll be happy just to be away!

These are some of the cruises I'm looking at- all 7 nights

Celebrity Silhouette- 3/29 Eastern Car. Ft. L, San Juan, St Kitts, St Martin, Ft. L

Celebrity Reflection - 3/28 Western Car Miami, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Haiti

Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas 3/29 Port Canaveral, Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Port C

Royal Car Allure of the Seas- 3/29 Fort L, Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin, Ft L

Princess Regal Eastern Car 3/29 Ft L. Princess Cays Bahamas, St Thomas, St Martin, Ft L

Holland Westerdam 3/28 Eastern Car. Fort L, Grand Turk, San Juan, St Martin, Half Moon Cay and Fort L

Any feedback for better boats, line or itineraries would be much appreciated!

thanks!!!!

For your friend's first cruise, I would avoid Allure of the Seas, much too overwhelming. I like Silhouette, and Westerdam. In fact, Westerdam might be the best, because she is the smallest...But still very big for a first timer! And Half Moon Cay is the best of the private islands, a beach day. EM

Please call them ships! Boats are small. ;)

I would pick an itinerary with San Juan (great old town), St. Martin (lovely). I would not pick an itinerary with Jamaica (very annoying vendors) and Cozumel (boring).

Sorry I have to disagree. I do not like San Juan...been there 3 times and just do not care for it.

On the other hand I love Cozumel...it is one of my favorite places to go and I also enjoy Jamaica too. I have been to both several times and always find something fun to do.

As far as annoying vendors.....they are just trying to make a living and all you have to do is say no.

I would pick one of the Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ships.

thank you for all the input so far! Interesting no one has said anything about Princess.

I was leaning towards the Celebrity cruise and not Holland mainly because I wanted to try something new and I felt Holland might be too mellow for us. I do love Half Moon. I've been there once and it is incredible!

I'm going to check out that RC cruise that you recommended. I know many people that have cruised RC and loved it!

Hi everyone- I'm not brand new to cruising, but I thought I'd post on here for some help. I have gone on two cruises before, both on Holland America which were great! This March I want to go on a cruise with one of my best girl friends. We are both in our 40's and teachers. We like to have fun,eat good food, but also relax see things, meet new people etc.

I am going to book through a TA (which I have yet to choose)- I can't decide between which cruise line. My friend has never gone on a cruise and she'll be happy just to be away!

These are some of the cruises I'm looking at- all 7 nights

Celebrity Silhouette- 3/29 Eastern Car. Ft. L, San Juan, St Kitts, St Martin, Ft. L

Celebrity Reflection - 3/28 Western Car Miami, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Haiti

Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas 3/29 Port Canaveral, Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Port C

Royal Car Allure of the Seas- 3/29 Fort L, Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin, Ft L

Princess Regal Eastern Car 3/29 Ft L. Princess Cays Bahamas, St Thomas, St Martin, Ft L

Holland Westerdam 3/28 Eastern Car. Fort L, Grand Turk, San Juan, St Martin, Half Moon Cay and Fort L

thanks!!!!

If you enjoy HAL, you are more likely to enjoy Celebrity than Royal Caribbean.

Having sailed.........Cunard, Disney and RCI

I would love to stay with Disney, but way over priced.

Cunard...............no more.

Currently we sail RCI, meets our needs and we are earning slowly but surely some "rewards" the more we sail.

Sea Ya

thank you for all the input so far! Interesting no one has said anything about Princess.

I was leaning towards the Celebrity cruise and not Holland mainly because I wanted to try something new and I felt Holland might be too mellow for us. I do love Half Moon. I've been there once and it is incredible!

I'm going to check out that RC cruise that you recommended. I know many people that have cruised RC and loved it!

Just some food for thought..many, many people myself included loathe Jamaica due to the aggressive nature of the residents. Crime is rampant and the government doesn't make any effort to protect tourists.

I would ask on any main board how people feel about Jamaica and you will read lots of negative stories.

I've tried it twice and I will never get off the ship again in Jamaica.

Ultimately, it's your cruise but wanted to throw that out there. Forewarned is forearmed.

If you liked HAL, you will really like Celebrity. Their Solstice Class ships are much closer to HAL, but more lively. I would go with Silhouette because it avoids Jamaica. Personally, I think Royal Caribbean is a step below HAL in terms of food and service, plus their ships are just too darned big for the uninitiated newbie.

We have been cruising for over 30 years and have migrated to Princess for most of our cruises. Regal is the newest of the Princess ship. Brought into service by the cast of the original tv show. Love Boat.

Here is a look at the Royal. Regal is the newest sister ship to the Royal. Enjoy.

http://heinzegroup.com/temp/temproyal.htm Harry :cool:

Thanks for this bit of information. I had heard that Celebrity might be more lively for us. I'm leaning toward Celebrity or Princess. thanks for your response!

If you liked HAL, you will really like Celebrity. Their Solstice Class ships are much closer to HAL, but more lively. I would go with Silhouette because it avoids Jamaica. Personally, I think Royal Caribbean is a step below HAL in terms of food and service, plus their ships are just too darned big for the uninitiated newbie.

These pictures are just beautiful. The Royal is stunning. I loved all the different places and decor. Thank you for sharing the link. I think I've narrowed it down to either Princess or Celebrity.

We have been cruising for over 30 years and have migrated to Princess for most of our cruises. Regal is the newest of the Princess ship. Brought into service by the cast of the original tv show. Love Boat.

Here is a look at the Royal. Regal is the newest sister ship to the Royal. Enjoy.

thanks!!!!

Either of the two above would be our choice ... with the nod going to Regal Princess, a lovely new ship, which will have more in the way of activities than Reflection. :D

LuLu

Those photographs of the Atrium are great. Did you use a tripod?

I would choose Regal Princess, the pictures I have seen of her and sister ship Royal are really gorgeous.

My second pick would be the Silhouette. We happen to enjoy San Juan, Puerto Rico. Old San Juan is fun to explore and the mighty El Morro Fort is within walking distance and also a very interesting place to visit.

Royal Caribbean is a terrific cruise line and Freedom would be great fun, although the itinerary isn't as good as the latter two. Many people adore the Allure, but, I wonder as a first time cruise if it might be a bit too overwhelming to you.

I think you would have a wonderful cruise on any of these ships, Regal is at the top of the list of new ships we'd like to cruise.

Jonathan