Who are you? Who-who? Who? Who?

ramja96

Thanks for the laugh! That is so something that would have happened to me.

I love it!!!

But I do not role play anymore that is..............

You see

When I was in my 20's before marriage like all other young adults the bar scene was where it was at on Friday evenings.

I hated telling anyone I was a nurse............

So.......................

I was a BIG defense attorneys secretary in Youngstown Ohio.

Wouldn't you know it, I was talking to a nice looking young business man and we chit chatted for awhile and he asked me what I did, so I told him secretary.

We goes for who and where?

I told him down town in the courthouse, ....

He goes which floor, I was just there....................

I go 4th.

He goes the court house only has 3 floors, what do you work with the pigeons?????

BUSTED, we never went out on a date.

So,

Now I behave.

Sea Ya

I love it!!!

You see

When I was in my 20's before marriage like all other young adults the bar scene was where it was at on Friday evenings.

Wouldn't you know it, I was talking to a nice looking young business man and we chit chatted for awhile and he asked me what I did, so I told him secretary.

I go 4th.

He goes the court house only has 3 floors, what do you work with the pigeons?????

So,

Now I behave.

Sea Ya

This is a great story!

On one cruise I was wearing red walking shorts and a white polo shirt. People kept thinking I was part of the staff and would ask me questions. After reading this thread, I see I could have messed with them and given them ridiculous answers! Alas, too late now.

Did you ever watch the show Mad About You? They did this once on vacation - it was hysterical. I have the worst memory - I couldn't do it - I would keep forgetting what I had said the night before.

Season 3, Episode 19: Two Tickets to Paradise

30 March 1995

Paul and Jamie are headed off to a tropical island resort given to them by Paul's parents, since they changed their minds about it and the trip is non-refundable, so Paul and Jamie have to pose as Burt and Sylvia Buchman. The trip has no TV or telephones and plenty of activities; Problem is the activities and the people who were matched to them are designed for Paul's parents. Jamie convinces Paul to play a game she used to do with Lisa when they were kids, where they would see how many different people they could be. Soon, they are saying they are saying that they are anything from circus performers, rodeo clowns, and a secret service agent. Everybody seems to like them, but Paul and Jamie now have to keep track of the lies and what they told those people when they meet up with them. In addition, Jamie is in trouble when she is confronted by the resort's activity coordinator from all the lies they've told. They suspect that they are not Burt and Sylvia Buchman and this will be turned over to the resort's security. Jamie then tells her that Paul is insane. Now the Activities coordinator is alerting all the guests and staff and everyone is avoiding Paul and Paul doesn't realize what's going on until Jamie tells him what's happening. Now everyone at the resort is convinced that Paul is insane.

Kathy

You beat me to the punch. That was a great episode and the first thing I thought if when I read the OP's post. That was our favorite episode. We always talk about doing that on vacation but have never done it.

Wife and I sat at table at MTD last year on Navigator. One couple dominated the conversation and told stories about their life. Problem is the stories were from 50 Shades of Grey and other books we recognized. They were clearly goofing us, but we figured it out really quick and left that night thinking they were both a bit mental and some of the worst table mates we've had.

Wife and I sat at table at MTD last year on Navigator. One couple dominated the conversation and told stories about their life. Problem is the stories were from 50 Shades of Grey and other books we recognized. They were clearly goofing us, but we figured it out really quick and left that night thinking they were both a bit mental and some of the worst table mates we've had.

Afraid I would have been taken on the 50 Shades of Grey since I've not read that book. Did you leave wondering why in the world they did that? I'm sure if I'd known the literary reference, I would have thought that.

Edited by denamo
typo

While you may find it in good fun, some see it as lying. And some may see it as "what are you lacking in your real life that you have to make up stories", and then others who have actually been in that situation totally offensive that someone would claim that achievement when they hadn't earned it.

I personally find over & over that those that put on airs are only blowhards. But if that makes you feel better about yourself - go for it.

Edited by mechcc

We were waiting to board a Carnival ship one time and the ship photographers were obnoxious. I've never seen them wander around the terminal taking candid shots like that. They were annoying the tinkle out of everyone. When one turned a camera towards my family, I put my hand up and told them "NO PICTURES!" And then I whispered, "We're in witness protection. Tell you friends, NO pictures of us this trip." I don't know what he told his buddies but they'd drop their cameras to their sides every time they saw us. :)

We were on one cruise and another passenger thought my dad was Harvey Korman (only resemblance is they are both male!). She hounded the crap out of Dad. Finally, he signed an illegible autograph, took a picture with the woman and then asked her if she'd seen Tim onboard yet. Her eyes lit up "Tim? Conway?" She bolted away on a mission. Every time we saw her coming, we'd start laughing about "that crazy Tim up on the pool deck/in the logo shop/etc" and she'd head off in another direction. Wish I'd have been there when she showed her friends the picture with my dad and they asked her who the he&& he was! :p

Fun topic, OP!

Almost forgot this one...

We were watching a replay of one of the pool games (hairy chest contest of something) on the TV in our cabin one morning and up pops a guy who is the manager of a local restaurant. They get to him. He says his name. All is good! They ask him what he does..."I'm the county Sheriff." :) We laughed ourselves silly.

We bumped into him later that day. You could see the panic in his eyes. We kept his secret for him the whole trip. And, got a free dinner on our next visit to his restaurant. LOL!!!!

I love it!!!

You see

I go 4th.

So,

Now I behave.

Sea Ya

*LOL*

My daughter lives in NYC and occasionally I take the train in and we take in a play and have dinner and go to a few of her haunts and have a few drinks and meet up with her friends.

One night we were out and about and came across a little place that looked kind of interesting and I suggested we go in a have a drink.

DD thinks a second and says "OK , but listen there are a few people that hang out here that think my name is Sabrina and that I am British. (She is neither) :)

Before I can even say *** or get an explanation , a guy from in the bar comes up to her , gives her a big hug and says "Sabrina, I can't believe its you , I haven't seen you in forever". And my DD starts talking to him in a British accent (kind of like a Beatles Liverpool thing that actually sounded cute on her :)

She introduces me as her dad and they both whisk me into the bar . Where at least 10 people know her as Sabrina.

All the while I am thinking "Am I supposed to be British too" *LOL*

I did manage to whisper my concerns to my DD and fortunately for me I am American , it is her mother that is British and Sabrina went to live with her in London after we were divorced an was raised and went yo school there . I YI YI .

My DD travels a lot for work and has been to London several times , so to someone who doesn't have a clue , she can dope her way through names and places and streets and districts in London and sound a little like she knows what the hell she is talking about .

It was an interesting evening to say the least *LOL*

The couple we were seated with at dinner on our last cruise were doing an excellent job of role playing. They were pretending to be the most miserable people my husband and I ever met. Nothing was right according to them.

The couple we were seated with at dinner on our last cruise were doing an excellent job of role playing. They were pretending to be the most miserable people my husband and I ever met. Nothing was right according to them.

================================================

ROTFLMAO

Nah...you get one shot at credibility and if you screw it up, even for a silly game, you don't get it back. Imagine you "pretend" to be whomever, and then find yourself in front of a boss, patient, mother of a new girlfriend or client who you met as your alter ego. You better bet they won't find it such a laugh riot, and now your personal or professional credibility is on the line!

Role playing within a consensual relationship (such as couples pretending to be strangers and "meeting" in the bar) is different because both parties are in on the ruse and consent to the roles.

================================================

ROTFLMAO

Ha. I think they were at my table as well.

OK, here's a "different" question. My wife and I were talking about our upcoming cruise and I brought up the subject of pretending to be someone else on the cruise to make things interesting. I said that I think most of the people we've had dinner with in the MDR have at the very least exaggerated who/what they are to make them appear more interesting. I thought it might be fun on our next cruise to do this. Have you ever done this? If so, who's your alter-ego? I'm looking for ideas - LOL. :p (This is strictly in good fun - no ill intent here)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

OK -- I'll play along -- it does sound funny. But, several things to be considered: how long is the cruise? What is the chance of running into your tablemates other places -- where you may or may not be "in character"? What if you run into someone you know on the ship, and they accidentally blow your cover? :p

As someone who loves serial novels (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo), I'm always amazed at how authors can create a long-running mythology and stick with it -- all the while introducing new characters and plot lines. I'm not sure that I could create two new alter-egos for DH and myself (with a history behind them) and manage to keep all the details straight for a whole cruise. But, it might be fun to try! ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

Nope, Don't have the time or energy for that. When I worked as a TA, one of the other TAs told me when she goes on a cruise, she tells people she works for the IRS so they won't pester her with questions the entire trip. For some reason, no one wants to brag to the IRS about all their exploits. :D

The real me is interesting enough, and I don't think I have the energy to be someone else while I am on vacation. Maybe I'm naïve but I don't feel like people, at least those I tend to spend any time with, are acting.

I agree completly, not that I have met you. ;) I'm a lousy liar anyway and I would certainly think less of someone putting on an act, I've made so many real friends cruising.

While you may find it in good fun, some see it as lying. And some may see it as "what are you lacking in your real life that you have to make up stories", and then others who have actually been in that situation totally offensive that someone would claim that achievement when they hadn't earned it.

I personally find over & over that those that put on airs are only blowhards. But if that makes you feel better about yourself - go for it.

Wow! So now I'm a "blowhard"??? Apparently, some here just take things too seriously. As for my actual achievements in life, I'm quite comfortable with where I am, thank you. I just asked a question in good fun. ;)

Obviously lots of people think this is not a fun game and would wonder why you needed to invent a different identity. It's really hard to be consistent within that role and you will probably be found out.

I understand, however, that some people don't want to divulge their profession because it leads to unwanted questions and discussions.

Afraid I would have been taken on the 50 Shades of Grey since I've not read that book. Did you leave wondering why in the world they did that? I'm sure if I'd known the literary reference, I would have thought that.

My wife recognized the 50 shades references (something about a private helicopter tour date I think). I recognized several others. Just one of the stories was hard to swallow, but stacked together it was just wacky. You'd have to live 150 years and have a few hundred million to have had all those life experiences...

I'm also a nurse, now retired. But I have been known to manage not to tell people what I did. Since I wored Civil Service in an army hospital, which is a part of the Dept. of Defense, I would sometimes say 'I work for the DOD and I can't talk about it.' EM

Edited by Essiesmom