Carnival Management Screws up again!

bugsokc

I'd prefer that I got notification prior to embarkation just as you did so that I was prepared for the changes. I definitely understand your concerns about security and what locations camp will be held, but no way to really get reassurance on that until you board and speak to the camp staff. I know my son would be thrilled that he would be doing different things around the ship as opposed to that one location, but every kid is different. Hope it all works out for you and your kids enjoy the activities.

I'd be concerned if my now one year old would be moving from place to place.

camps are not opened for under 2 kids. Must be 2 by the day of sailing.

I dont think the camps will be moving with kids in it-- example-- they will meet at the disco at 10am and pick them up at 12:45 meeting in the library at 2:00pm meeting at the buffet for dinner at 5:30 and they will let you know where the kids will be after 7:

Carnival is revamping their old camp carnival to the Carnival Ocean something or other.

I worked as a buyer for big company. Maybe Carnival just wanted to make sure they had all the materials on board to start the renovations. A back order of one material can throw the whole schedule off. It is not like they can hop in a car and go down the road to pick up something. All the material has to be there in order to do the renovations. The arrangement of these logistics at times must be a nightmare.

At least you got told ahead of time , It is not like they are cancelling Camp, they are simply moving the location. I bet your daughter will not even know the difference. Never sailing Carnival again because of this does sound like you do need another coffee.. :cool: Enjoy your cruise

To say you'll never cruise Carnival again because Camp Carnival will be held in a different location is absurd really. The letter says there will be plenty of activities going on for your child. I can think of other reasons not to sail on Carnival, yours is over the top and illogical.

So let's flip the coin, and say the kid's club is not being touched, but "ALL THE BARS AND CLUBS" are being closed for remodling at the same time. Than you get a notice, that says, never fear, the fun will continue, we will just set up a drink station in the dining room, clear some tables, and make a dance floor.

How many people will say, don't worry about it, it will be the same, at least you were told 1 week in advance etc etc......

Welcome to Carnival!

I understand that the op wants to know where the children's activities will be held and what kind of security will be in place.

Will it be in an area in which it would be obvious that there were adults hanging about who should not be?

Where will the children be using the bathroom?

Will bathroom visits be supervised or will children be allowed to come and go on their own?

Will the "teachers" be able to tell immediately if a child is missing?

How often do they do a head count?

I was a teacher and a mom, so I totally understand where this is coming from.

If op gets onboard and the set up for the kids is sketchy, in his opinion, then he is basically stuck with an upset kid that he will need to keep entertained.

Or he can send her to camp and feel uneasy about her security the whole time.

Not good either way.

I wonder if there is a way to talk directly with the camp director?

Thank you... you get it! :)

i have 2 small kids 6 and 8 yrs old so i too would be concerned as to where the camp would be held and how security and protocol would be different. so i can see your concern that even though they will have camp carnival and even if it was at the same time the logistics would be off and the staff would have a harder time keeping track of the kids, etc.

but i am a little confused i don't know if i missed something. you got the email this morning. but you state you have been asking your PVP and John Heald for months about this. so what tipped you off month's ago that there might be an issue.

Articles like this one:

http://carnival-news.com/2014/04/18/carnival-cruise-lines-inreoduces-new-marine-themed-camp-ocean-childrens-program/

I have children whom I sail with. Putting myself in your shoes, I would also be a little annoyed at the short notice. As I think more about I realized that with all that goes into planning and mobilizing my family for vacation.... even if they gave me 2 months notice, I probably would not have changed my plans.

Given that, I would board with all the excitement that is vacation. Having experienced Camp Carnival I would fully expect that they set things up in the alternate rooms and show my kids just as much fun in the new location. If they let us down then I would definitely mention to guest services that they could have done better. I would even give specific suggestions if I had them. I just couldn't allow it to ruin things until/if it actually ruins things, know what I mean ?

Many times the camp activities are not held in the Camp Carnival area anyway. A lot are done in the disco, make your own ice cream in an enclosed area of the buffet, etc. They may even be taking a little-used room in the ship (library, etc.) and use it for a mainstay of activities. I wouldn't be too worried. There is always supervision. In fact, when activities are held in the disco (which is a great place to do it during the day, as it is unused) there are guards at the door, they check cards, and won't let anyone in unless they are the camp!

I normally read rather than post, but man you guys are being harsh on the OP.

I can totally "get" why the OP is upset. The product he paid for has been altered.

Sure a modified product is still being offered, that's not the point. If this was disclosed upfront, he could have chose another vacation option. With all the planning in place for this vacation, it's a big deal to just reschedule for this family. We all have to "roll with the punches" on a vacation such as a missed port, or weather cancellations etc., but this is not the case! Sure they can still have a great vacation, but again that is not the issue!

I feel bad for you OP!

I normally read rather than post, but man you guys are being harsh on the OP.

I can totally "get" why the OP is upset. The product he paid for has been altered.

Sure a modified product is still being offered, that's not the point. If this was disclosed upfront, he could have chose another vacation option. With all the planning in place for this vacation, it's a big deal to just reschedule for this family. We all have to "roll with the punches" on a vacation such as a missed port, or weather cancellations etc., but this is not the case! Sure they can still have a great vacation, but again that is not the issue!

I feel bad for you OP!

Then, just like someone suggested above, cancel this cruise and never book Canival again.

Whats the big deal. They are still having activities etc just in a different location. I guess the make over had to occur during someone's cruise, unfortunately it happened to be urs. I'm sure ur child will live and there's no need to leave carnival over them making upgrades to your ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

i gotta say, better to hear about it before the cruise. How far out? Not sure it's relevant.

But my kids have never been in a camp. They are always with us, and playing with other kids that are out and about.

I agree that it is better to hear about it before than wait till you are on the ship.

By the way, OP - every cruise line at one time or another has had to make last minute changes - not unusual - just roll with it and enjoy the cruise.

I understand that the op wants to know where the children's activities will be held and what kind of security will be in place.

Will it be in an area in which it would be obvious that there were adults hanging about who should not be?

Where will the children be using the bathroom?

Will bathroom visits be supervised or will children be allowed to come and go on their own?

Will the "teachers" be able to tell immediately if a child is missing?

How often do they do a head count?

I was a teacher and a mom, so I totally understand where this is coming from.

If op gets onboard and the set up for the kids is sketchy, in his opinion, then he is basically stuck with an upset kid that he will need to keep entertained.

Or he can send her to camp and feel uneasy about her security the whole time.

Not good either way.

I wonder if there is a way to talk directly with the camp director?

Unfortunately, the security minded parent may not be very happy with Camp Carnival. My kids were a little older when we started sailing with them, but if they were younger I can see my wife not having been happy with the Camp Carnival process. Often we would return to CC and find the room empty as they had moved the activities to another location. If this was communicated to us we missed it. Our kids have always been old enough to carry a handheld radio and the let us know where camp carnival is moving too, otherwise I can see a scenario in which you are searching the ship for your child. They usually post in the room where they have moved too, but that is also often inaccurate.

Your children will be in the same place you left them as long as you consider the entire ship that place. They seldom leave the ship.

Each parent has his/her parenting style so this situation is going to affect them in different ways. I was a helicopter mom so this would have thrown be off but some parents will have no problem with it. Neither is right or wrong just different. I would go with a positive attitude ask all your questions and if you feel comfortable then let her stay in CC if not I bet she can find some friends around the pool, mini golf or arcade.

Sorry you received the notice a few days prior to your departure. However if I may offer some advice. If you begin your cruise with negativity towards the "modified" Camp Carnival, you will have criticism towards everything. You don't want to begin your cruise with a mental negative check-list. You do not know what the regular Camp Carnival was like so how can you say this "modified" version will be worse?

Who knows, maybe it will be better b/c they will not be in the same room. Maybe they are planning more activities to make up for inconvenience.

I agree this is not the best news but try to stay positive. You don't want your daughter to pick up on the negative vibes. There is normally a meeting for the parents on the first day. I'm sure they will go over everything and you can stay afterwards if you have any questions.

My daughter was in the O2 club. I had several questions and the counselor stayed with me after the meeting to answer them.

You must be a lawyer.

OP, I'm sure your kids will have a great time, no matter where Camp Carnival is held.

Do believe that entire post you responded to was done tongue in cheek. At least that is how I read it.

Edited by Swampbaby

OP, if you have any questions you want answered before stepping onboard, the email below will get you in touch with Camp Carnival's youth director on the Carnival Magic.

mcclubo2@carnival.com

It appears you're leaving this coming Sunday, so it may be wise to mark the email as time sensitive.

I concur! They may respond setting your mind at ease so you won't work up a fret leading up to your cruise. Our schools are closed next week to correspond with the Columbus Day holiday. They may not be prepared.

Edited by Orison

I concur! They may respond setting your mind at ease so you won't work up a fret leading up to your cruise. Our schools are closed next week to correspond with the Columbus Day holiday. They may not be prepared.

I have little doubt that Carnival has the manifests for the affected sailings, including the age breakdown.

I woke up this morning six days out from my cruise on Carnival Magic. I have a 7-year-old daughter who has been looking forward to the cruise and especially Camp Carnival. As I went through my emails (part of my normal morning routine), I see I got an email from Carnival. I'm expecting it is just some nonsense about the cruise (you know - buy your excursions, don't forget about our duty free shops, or something like that).

NOPE!

It was a notice that Camp Carnival will closed (the rooms - they say they will still have activities and supervision) and that the schedule will be "slightly modified". The notice was not detailed at all - VERY vague. (see notice below)

I have emailed my PVP and am waiting his reply. This is horrible customer service and management in my opinion. I think this will be my last Carnival Cruise.

Has anyone had similar experiences with Carnival or any other cruise line (i.e. last minute notifications of changes)?

Here is the notice (note that the email was completely blank - just had this attachment):

CampCarnivalnotice_zps6bf6830f.png

Maybe it will be in a better room..did you ever think of that?

Like I posted in a similar thread, either you trust Carnival with your kid or you don't. She is 7 years old....most anything they do with the kids will be fun.

I think you are making a mountain range out of a grain of sand.