What to do with the wines that we bring on board

Mudhen

We will be bringing several bottles of very good wine on board for our next cruise. My question is, what do we do with it, once on board? Is this something our butler could do for us? We've never had a butler before, so I don't have any idea of what they will do for you. Or should it be brought to the dining room and handed over to a sommelier? We are well aware this will involve a corkage fee when served....no problem. Should bottles be marked with our name and cabin number? Would hate for any of it to go missing........

Hi I always take on at least six bottles and take one bottle per night to the table.The Sommelier will be happy to look after it for you and will always be interested in your choices. We normally run out and end up buying another couple of bottles from him anyway on a 7 day crossing!We end up pre dinner starting at least one bottle in the cabin. Its still much cheaper to pay the corkage charges and I like to buy from my local wine store as part of the holiday build up.

We are assuming you are in QG ? contact your butler who will arrange for your wine/s to be taken down to the QG Restaurant ( don't attempt to carry bottles into the restaurant your self as this usually causes confusion ;) ) You will be billed the corkage fee , you will find this on your onboard account within a day or so.

There is no fear that your wine will go missing or be offered to other guests, the Sommeliers are very professional .

I suggest that you pre arrange things with your sommelier the first day of embarkation (at lunch time) in preparation for your first evening meal. :)

Thank you all for your replies. This is the first time we've ever brought wine on board as it's a real "no no" on most lines other than possibly a single bottle. We'll get it into our cabin and then speak to our "butler" (OMG!) and then take it from there.

There's no corkage charge if you open and drink the wine in your room. Some people pour a glass and take it to dinner but I think that's karma-reducing. :)

Agree totally! Why tempt "the gods" (Neptune, are ya listening?!!)

There's no corkage charge if you open and drink the wine in your room. Some people pour a glass and take it to dinner but I think that's karma-reducing. :)

Hey Underwater stop giving em ideas ;) ... I don't know about Karma-reducing, I'd say it's naff ;-)

Just think what the Dowager Countess of Grantham (Downton) would say :)