Virgin Australia and my carry-on

S&B

I read the restrictions about the roller board carry on when flying Virgin Australia. Our carry on is 3 inches longer than what they say is allowed. Will we have a problem? We have never had a problem on any airline with this carry on. We are flying from Sydney to Auckland.

Thanks for any help. I do not really want to buy another suitcase.

I read the restrictions about the roller board carry on when flying Virgin Australia. Our carry on is 3 inches longer than what they say is allowed. Will we have a problem? We have never had a problem on any airline with this carry on. We are flying from Sydney to Auckland.

Thanks for any help. I do not really want to buy another suitcase.

Have you flown on airlines with the same restriction as VA, or don't you know. Because that's one starting point for your analysis.

There is no "standard" carry-on size, as all airlines are free to establish their own policies.

Basically, you have to ask yourself the question.....(see below in sig)

We fly United, Delta and the German airlines all over the world and Southwest in the U.S. and never a problem. The last carry on I bought (a year ago) was exactly the size required. I think it is confusing because they allow a suit bag which is very long. I carry a tape measure with me if I need it.

Thanks for your help.

I think I would be concerned about the 7 kg allowance as it's an International Short Haul. Often dimensions are due to size of overhead spaces. This is from their website:

All guests travelling on our international short-haul network are permitted to take up to 7kg of carry-on baggage on board.

Two pieces (e.g. small bag or briefcase) that do not exceed the dimensions of 48cm x 34cm x 23cm (total linear dimensions 105cm) each; or One small bag or briefcase (total linear dimensions 105cm), plus one non-rigid suit pack or garment bag that does not exceed dimensions of 114cm x 60cm x 11cm (total linear dimensions 185cm)

Edited by Alaskanb

Totally agree that you need to consider size AND weight. You can usually get away with carrying on more if you are connecting from a US flight to a intra-Euro flight since bags are only really checked at departure, but if you are departing a European country they will make you weigh your "cabin baggage" at check in and will most certainly make you check it for overweight or oversized restrictions. The plus is that on most European carriers is they are fabulous at delivering bags to the carousel in a timely manner.

We fly United, Delta and the German airlines all over the world and Southwest in the U.S. and never a problem. The last carry on I bought (a year ago) was exactly the size required. I think it is confusing because they allow a suit bag which is very long. I carry a tape measure with me if I need it.

Thanks for your help.

Your experiences on other airlines are irrelevant when discussing your carryon for Virgin Australia. If your bag does exceed their specified maximum dimensions, no tape measure is going to help you when the gate agent says you must check that bag.

The non-rigid garment bag is allowed because it will be folded in the overhead; your other carryon can't be folded...

also be careful when buying a carry on suitcase that says 21 " -

with the wheels & handle it becomes 24 + and won't be allowed

on some airlines - each one is different and some are ridiculous

in the weight limit - like air new zealand - 15 lbs - the suitcase

weighed 8 so would have only been able to pack 7 so we packed

it with 45 and checked it !!!!! :eek:

but my large red leather purse held about 35 pounds

and they didn't weigh it !!!!:D

You also have to bear in mind that if you have a check in agent who is having a bad day, they may decide you're the one they're going to enforce the rules against. The airlines publish their rules, and saying it worked on another airline isn't likely to get you too far.

For one flight, the check in agent made me put my carry on in the sizer, which at 4am was difficult since the construction of the sizer made it impossible to just drop it in unless it was seriously below their limits. It took me a few minutes (I'm uncoordinated at the best of times :o), so the agent gave up watching and told my husband I'd have to check it. DH challenged him (I did get it to fit, after I figured out how to get it into the sizer without catching the wheels or handle on it) and he relented, but it wasn't a pleasant start to our vacation.

It is highly likely, though not certain, that the VA check-in agent will tell you your hand luggage has to go in the hold. It is possible, but far from certain, that they may take pity on you and not charge you for an extra bag if your ticket conditions only allow you one (assuming you also have a suitcase to check). If you get past the agent and to security there is a strong chance you'll be sent back to check-in from there. As others have stated there is no consistency amongst airlines. As a generalization hand luggage allowances in Australia are stricter than the US. We are always amazed at what we see passengers bring onto internal US flights.

So the issue is how much of a risk taker are you?

I have spent a good part of the day looking at Columbus Day adds because I need to do this in the next two weeks.

Here is the thing: if they take the length plus the width plus the depth I am only a little over an inch too long. However, if they measure just the length then I have been had. In the depth VA says 9 inches and my carry on is 7 inches in depth.

And now we have the problem of the large suit case. Hubby says that if we are limited to a 24 inch suitcase there is no way he is taking a suit. And I am saying there is no way that I am going to eat in the buffet for all the formal nights especially when they have Beef Wellington!!! So we are in a fix.

Here is the thing: if they take the length plus the width plus the depth I am only a little over an inch too long. However, if they measure just the length then I have been had.
Don't be optimistic. If you "violate" any of the specified dimension, you are exceeding your allowance.

Think of it this way. They allow 48cm x 34cm x 23cm (total linear dimensions 105cm). That doesn't mean you can take an item 100cm x 3cm x 2 cm. It's not a mix and match....merely a statement of the total.

And now we have the problem of the large suit case. Hubby says that if we are limited to a 24 inch suitcase there is no way he is taking a suit. And I am saying there is no way that I am going to eat in the buffet for all the formal nights especially when they have Beef Wellington!!! So we are in a fix.
Sounds like more of marriage counseling issue than airline related. :)

Let me posit this option....he can WEAR the suit onboard and not have to worry about packing it. Add a tie and call it a throwback to the 1950s.

I will confess, I have used Scottevest jackets to pack all sorts of gear to get around carryon weight limits. You can't believe how much can get into some of them. Same with wearing heavy coats and your heaviest shoes to keep them out of luggage. Time for creativity!!

Thank you Flyer Talker. Actually, I am cracking up laughing. What I needed. And, this is our 50th Anniversary celebration cruise. I have the 24 inch suitcase on the floor right now and just realized that we used this 24 inch when we went to Germany several years ago. Tags are still on!!! And, he took a sport jacket. So, I guess this is the way it will be. We can expand it coming back when we are on United. I will look for another wheeled carry on though because I cannot see me carrying all this "stuff"(camera bags, cosmetics, etc.) through the Tampa, Denver, SFO, Sydney, Auckland airports with out wheels.

Cheers!

Thank you Flyer Talker. Actually, I am cracking up laughing. What I needed. And, this is our 50th Anniversary celebration cruise.

Cheers!

Congrats! But tell hubby he'd better take a suit if he wants to see 51! (and I'm a guy saying this) :) Sounds like you travel "heavy", either go lighter on other items to pack the suit, or rent formalwear onboard.

On your original question, it's like asking "Will I be OK if a cop sees me driving 10mph over the speed limit?" In your case it's the chance of getting caught balanced against your willingness to pay the costs if you are. Generally, airlines have discovered profits in ancillary fees and they are making efforts to collect them.

Edited by kenish

if you are departing a European country they will make you weigh your "cabin baggage" at check in and will most certainly make you check it for overweight or oversized restrictions.

It really depends on the airline. I have departed European countries on Delta, Air France, Alitalia and KLM and none weighed my carry on. (Ryan Air was a different story, LOL). That said, I am in no way saying none of the aforementioned airlines every WOULD weigh it, just that it's really a "maybe" situation, and/or depends on the airline.