XP: weather delay / cancellation coverage

trish1c

Hello! Despite being a long time CC member, I never realized there was a specific forum for insurance. :o Duh.

Anyway, the nice folks from the Ask A Cruise Question board sent me over to you experts.

We're cruising in January. Flights are booked from LGA (NYC) to FLL for the day before. I still have a few days to book trip insurance. I'm comparing the fine print over at insure my trip dot com & am trying to find the best policy with the most broad weather coverage.

Hurricanes seem to be a different category. I'm worried about snow.

Most say that to be covered the common carrier (the airline) has to cease all operations for 24 hours. They never do that but if we didn't fly for 24 hours we'd most likely miss our ship. One policy says if the common carrier doesn't get you (meaning the person who bought the insurance) in the air for 12 hours it's a covered event. Does anybody know a better policy?

I don't need $$ if I can't leave from NYC. I have options. If I got stuck over night in Florida arrangements can be made. I'm concerned about what happens if we miss the ship. The 1st two days are sea days so schleping to Jamaica to only go on a 5 day voyage doesn't sound fun. I want my money back if we get snowed in & can't get there for our scheduled Sunday embarkation. Can somebody point me to a specific policy?

Look into cancel for any reason coverage.

If you hear bad weather reports for the few days prior to your travel date, abide by the terms of the policy and cancel within the required time line.

Snow storms that close airports and ground flights don't often 'sneak up' on NYC. We in the Northeast usually have days notice.

... I'm concerned about what happens if we miss the ship. The 1st two days are sea days so schleping to Jamaica to only go on a 5 day voyage doesn't sound fun. I want my money back if we get snowed in & can't get there for our scheduled Sunday embarkation. Can somebody point me to a specific policy?

If you want a refund you cannot give up and go home on the first day unless there is a complete cessation of travel by your common carrier for the 12-24 hour limit of the policy. Otherwise, insurance expects you to catch up to the trip, and does not cover you unless you attempt this for 50% of the trip duration, so for 3-4 days. Expenses of catching up are usually taken care of by trip interruption (airfare, lost cruise days) and trip delay (meals, hotels) coverage.

If you want a refund you cannot give up and go home on the first day unless there is a complete cessation of travel by your common carrier for the 12-24 hour limit of the policy. Otherwise, insurance expects you to catch up to the trip, and does not cover you unless you attempt this for 50% of the trip duration, so for 3-4 days. Expenses of catching up are usually taken care of by trip interruption (airfare, lost cruise days) and trip delay (meals, hotels) coverage.

And not having a passport that will allow you to fly to a foreign destination to catch up is not a covered reason either.

But "cancel for any reason" policies don't give you all your money back. You get only a percentage, depending on the policy it can be as low as 50%.

..... and as high as 90%. For some of us, that might be adequate to satisfy our needs.

Of course, whatever policy one is buying they should understand the terms.

I agree, typical Any Reason limits are 70-75%. (CSA claims they cover some at 100%, but that is only when the penalty phase is at 25% or less.) Plus most of these policies have the same purchase date limits and full trip coverage requirements as PEC waivers do. I think OP may still be within that window.

Edited by cherylandtk