Unknown Cruise

mcrcruiser

[quote name='mcrcruiser']Too bad they didn't pick Las Vegas where there is a huge amount of hotel rooms & a huge convention center .:[/QUOTE]

Salesforce.com is located in San Francisco, and it's a high tech company, so it makes sense to have it there.

[quote name='Phamer55']Salesforce.com is located in San Francisco, and it's a high tech company, so it makes sense to have it there.[/quote]
Plus San Francisco is on most peoples bucket list. We had our annual conference in SF a couple of years ago and had the biggest group of any in the last several years.

, [quote name='patty1955']Plus San Francisco is on most peoples bucket list. We had our annual conference in SF a couple of years ago and had the biggest group of any in the last several years.[/QUOTE]

BART and MUNI, both local public transportation systems, make it super easy to get around and even over the other side of the bay through an underground tunnel. We sometimes take the BART train right down to the Embarcadero when we dont' have too much luggage. It is really convenient.
In Vegas, I think there is a lot to see but so much of it is geared around gambling. San Francisco has a unique beauty and some iconic treasures found nowhere else -- the Golden Gate, the new Bay Bridge, Sausalito, Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry building, Coit (sp?) Tower, The Transamerica building, Lombard St, Alcatraz, North Beach, China town, ATT Park (where the SF Giants Play) etc., etc., etc. Muir Woods, Stinson Beach and also Napa, Sonoma and Livermore wine regions are not far from here. So much to do here and so easy to get around....I get why they have it hear. Plus, I have to admit, anything that brings revenue into the area is pretty good for us here.

[quote name='Phamer55']Salesforce.com is located in San Francisco, and it's a high tech company, so it makes sense to have it there.[/QUOTE]

Understood ;however when it comes to electronics ,the largest electronics show in the world is always held in Las Vegas because the quantity of rooms & size of the convention centers;)

[quote name='Cruise Raider'],

BART and MUNI, both local public transportation systems, make it super easy to get around and even over the other side of the bay through an underground tunnel. We sometimes take the BART train right down to the Embarcadero when we dont' have too much luggage. It is really convenient.
In Vegas, I think there is a lot to see but so much of it is geared around gambling. San Francisco has a unique beauty and some iconic treasures found nowhere else -- the Golden Gate, the new Bay Bridge, Sausalito, Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry building, Coit (sp?) Tower, The Transamerica building, Lombard St, Alcatraz, North Beach, China town, ATT Park (where the SF Giants Play) etc., etc., etc. Muir Woods, Stinson Beach and also Napa, Sonoma and Livermore wine regions are not far from here. So much to do here and so easy to get around....I get why they have it hear. Plus, I have to admit, anything that brings revenue into the area is pretty good for us here.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense ;but ,we are not happy that this company would upset our cruise:o

Not speculating this time, here's the itinerary for what will be the new 9 day coastal cruise out of San Francisco.

SAILING ITINERARY

Date Ports of Call Arrival Departure Activity

Fri 04 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California Boarding

Sat 05 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California 05:00 PM Docked

Sun 06 Sep 2015 Monterey, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Mon 07 Sep 2015 At Sea

Tue 08 Sep 2015 Ensenada, Mexico 07:00 AM 04:00 PM Docked

Wed 09 Sep 2015 San Diego, California 06:00 AM 06:00 PM Docked

Thu 10 Sep 2015 Catalina Island, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Fri 11 Sep 2015 Santa Barbara, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Sat 12 Sep 2015 At Sea

Sun 13 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California 07:00 AM Departure

Not available for booking yet.

Not speculating this time, here's the itinerary for what will be the new 9 day coastal cruise out of San Francisco.

SAILING ITINERARY

Date Ports of Call Arrival Departure Activity

Fri 04 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California Boarding

Sat 05 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California 05:00 PM Docked

Sun 06 Sep 2015 Monterey, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Mon 07 Sep 2015 At Sea

Tue 08 Sep 2015 Ensenada, Mexico 07:00 AM 04:00 PM Docked

Wed 09 Sep 2015 San Diego, California 06:00 AM 06:00 PM Docked

Thu 10 Sep 2015 Catalina Island, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Fri 11 Sep 2015 Santa Barbara, California 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tendered

Sat 12 Sep 2015 At Sea

Sun 13 Sep 2015 San Francisco, California 07:00 AM Departure

Not available for booking yet.

Questions Steve 1) how do you know all this information ?

or

2) do you work for Celebrity ?

Seems to me one or the other is obvious .Will you answer the questions ?

We are all interested to know your answer/s;)

Cliff

A Pacific Coastal doesn't begin to compare to two weeks in Alaska. I can't believe Celebrity doesn't have the decency to contact those of us booked on the Alaska cruise to let us know our cruise has been cancelled. Even our travel agent doesn't know. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic or we'd still be in the dark!

Diana

A Pacific Coastal doesn't begin to compare to two weeks in Alaska. I can't believe Celebrity doesn't have the decency to contact those of us booked on the Alaska cruise to let us know our cruise has been cancelled. Even our travel agent doesn't know. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic or we'd still be in the dark!

Diana

I agree with you, most of us are very disappointed in the whole situation...I don't give a d... about a pacific coastal cruise, and that is not what this thread should be about IMHO.

I spoke to a Captains Club rep this morning. Asking about a ghost booking on another cruise in this same time frame. Explaining to him my situation (when Celebrity notifies us, I want to have a back-up plan) He said he would look up the Alaskan cruise, and when he did he said "it shows in red, which means the ship has been chartered".

Then he back tracked and said well, it means Inventory Management, and not all TA's have been notified, and on and on.

I transferred both cruises, Alaska and the following Panama Canal to a TA, and don't want to cancel and pay penalties, so will wait for Celebrity to do the right thing and notify us and our TA's.

Mike

Edited by seaworthy1

Questions Steve 1) how do you know all this information ?

or

2) do you work for Celebrity ?

Seems to me one or the other is obvious .Will you answer the questions ?

We are all interested to know your answer/s;)

Cliff

Ha, I don't work for Celebrity. Don't want to say anymore.

Okaaay, so saying this in the NICEST possible way, because you can't or won't say, how do we know that you are qualified to be posting this new itinerary? Maybe you do have this all on good authority, but posting this and then surrounding it in secrecy doesn't really lend a lot of credibility....

Okaaay, so saying this in the NICEST possible way, because you can't or won't say, how do we know that you are qualified to be posting this new itinerary? Maybe you do have this all on good authority, but posting this and then surrounding it in secrecy doesn't really lend a lot of credibility....

Couldn't agree more....

I know the situation is frustrating, but I see it differently and give the benefit of the doubt. He provided the info a lot were looking for, which he probably shouldn't have based on how it was obtained early. Instead of asking him to get in trouble, or worse, I'd be thankful he shared what he knew.

As far as how it is obtained he could be working for any number of different contractors from coast guard, to port authorities, one of the contractors who has staff onboard like the spa, an ad agency, who knows.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I know the situation is frustrating, but I see it differently and give the benefit of the doubt. He provided the info a lot were looking for, which he probably shouldn't have based on how it was obtained early. Instead of asking him to get in trouble, or worse, I'd be thankful he shared what he knew.

As far as how it is obtained he could be working for any number of different contractors from coast guard, to port authorities, one of the contractors who has staff onboard like the spa, an ad agency, who knows.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I get what you're saying, but those of us who are booked on this cruise need reliable information to take to our TAs or to make decisions about our bookings. The best source is of course, Celebrity, but in their absence many are trying to find out in other ways.

Someone who has information based on any number of the situations you mentioned may have only part of the story, or details are in flux, or just rumor from his workplace based on someone fleshing out a potential itinerary. Putting out that kind of detail and saying "here it is, unofficially, but I can't say how I know this" to those of us who are now hungry for details and have money riding on arrangements isn't really doing us any favors. He also posted this itinerary with the same "I can't tell you how I know" caveat on the Roll Call for this cruise, it just creates confusion and anxiety. We can't do anything about this until we hear officially from Celebrity and they present our options/compensations to us, if any.

I get what you're saying, but those of us who are booked on this cruise need reliable information to take to our TAs or to make decisions about our bookings. The best source is of course, Celebrity, but in their absence many are trying to find out in other ways.

Someone who has information based on any number of the situations you mentioned may have only part of the story, or details are in flux, or just rumor from his workplace based on someone fleshing out a potential itinerary. Putting out that kind of detail and saying "here it is, unofficially, but I can't say how I know this" to those of us who are now hungry for details and have money riding on arrangements isn't really doing us any favors. He also posted this itinerary with the same "I can't tell you how I know" caveat on the Roll Call for this cruise, it just creates confusion and anxiety. We can't do anything about this until we hear officially from Celebrity and they present our options/compensations to us, if any.

So, than to you, it shouldn't matter what he posts or what anyone else posts, but Celebrity? You may ignore it, others may find it useful. Sure, if you knew the source, it would be more useful to you, but don't get mad at him for sharing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

OK Steve I accept your explanation :). We are waiting this long ,we surely can wait until Celebrity officially notifies all of us .

The info you posted is appreciated by us .;) Now I am pondering whether to take this cruise ;as we need to drive from the San Diego area to SF or if Celebrity gives us compensation will it be flexible to other of their cruises . A 9 night cruise coastal certainly doesn't compare to a 14 night Alaska cruise with more interesting ports .;)

We have done several west coast cruises & would have found it far more interesting if Celebrity would use Victoria ,Vancouver ,Seattle & Astoria vs the lower half of Calif & Mexico .All imo

Cliff

So, than to you, it shouldn't matter what he posts or what anyone else posts, but Celebrity? You may ignore it, others may find it useful. Sure, if you knew the source, it would be more useful to you, but don't get mad at him for sharing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks Jenna! You're right, official information is only going to come from Celebrity. I'm just trying to be helpful and sharing what I know that some should find to be useful. I've not hidden the fact that this is all unofficial so people can choose to dismiss it if they like.

When RCCL did this to one of our cruises...which is the same company, so somewhat relevant...

The sailing was April 3, 2013.

On May 2, 2012...someone posted information about the sailing becoming a charter.

The first one contacted by RCCL on our roll call reported on May 23, 2012.

SO...Definitely with less than 365 notice...and with such a similar date...I could easily see how there's the possibility that the Sept 4 roll call could be contacted by Celebrity as late as October 24.

Our roll call had been contacting everyone they could because we had DEFINITE information...someone had actually booked on the charter cruise...

Steve, I think you've done a nice thing here...it's what being a part of a community like this is all about...sharing information and passing along information so that there is a clue as to changes in the works, etc.

btw...I grew up very close to you...went to junior high and high school in Danville. I haven't been back to SFO since Y2K New Years. I've been thinking about taking my DS on vacation there for a while (he's never been). I wish this coastal cruise was just one week later, when we have fall break. :)

I think between the info Anita discovered by doing some simple Internet research on the Port of SF website and what Steve has posted, the writing is pretty much on the wall. And even though Steve's info is unofficial at the moment, I think we want to be careful about who we take our frustrations out on. The Internet is a powerful source of information and its no longer unusual to be clued in about something before its officially announced/confirmed by the source.

As someone who's experienced two Celebrity cruises cancelled out from under them, I'm completely sympathetic to those of you booked to Alaska on Sept 4.

Fingers crossed Celebrity makes this all official SOON so that everyone can get on with making alternate arrangements. Tough as it was, we survived just 3 days notice in 2003 when our 11-night Infinity cruise to Hawaii was abruptly cancelled.

btw...I grew up very close to you...went to junior high and high school in Danville. I haven't been back to SFO since Y2K New Years. I've been thinking about taking my DS on vacation there for a while (he's never been). I wish this coastal cruise was just one week later, when we have fall break. :)

I grew up in Danville as well....small world. However, these SF cruises seem to be filled up with bay area folks.

Fully agree. People say they want to prepare a back-up plan, so he was very helpful in trying to assist with that.

I guess some would rather wait until the official announcement is released, whenever that is, and be kept in the dark until then.