Carnival employees hogging all the hammocks on Half Moon Cay

Cairnmom

So crew on their precious time off are transporting supplies to the island?

Maybe it was Diamond cruisers who beat the Platinum cruisers to the hammocks?

Some diamonds need two hammocks. :p

I agree that the staff work very hard to make our vacations wonderful and I want them to be able to enjoy their free time but.....Carnival needs to enforce a rule that they can only occupy a few of the hammocks not all of them.

I don't think we have any right to dictate what Carnival employees do on their time off. They are not there to serve you during their off hours, and they should be allowed to sit anywhere and eat and drink at any venues as they choose. I'm so darned tired of hearing people tout their status, "I'm platinum!" If I had a dollar for every post I read on John Heald's FB page where someone demands action of some sort from him/Carnival because "I'M PLATINUM!!!" Sheesh. If you think there's not enough seating on Half Moon Cay, contact Carnival and suggest that more seating be added. I'm ashamed when I read some of the complaints cruisers make and witness their attitude of entitlement. Having a higher VIPF status or paying for FTTF may entitle you to some additional perks but it doesn't make you better than any other passenger on the cruise. Instead of complaining about the crew, how about thanking them for all they do to make your vacation enjoyable?

I don't think we have any right to dictate what Carnival employees do on their time off. They are not there to serve you during their off hours, and they should be allowed to sit anywhere and eat and drink at any venues as they choose. I'm so darned tired of hearing people tout their status, "I'm platinum!" If I had a dollar for every post I read on John Heald's FB page where someone demands action of some sort from him/Carnival because "I'M PLATINUM!!!" Sheesh. If you think there's not enough seating on Half Moon Cay, contact Carnival and suggest that more seating be added. I'm ashamed when I read some of the complaints cruisers make and witness their attitude of entitlement. Having a higher VIPF status or paying for FTTF may entitle you to some additional perks but it doesn't make you better than any other passenger on the cruise. Instead of complaining about the crew, how about thanking them for all they do to make your vacation enjoyable?

You're right. We don't have the right to dictate what they do. However, Carnival does. As you mentioned they are allowed to eat wherever they want... that is incorrect. On Half Moon Cay, there is a picnic area where all crew members are allowed to eat their lunch. Carnival also requires all crew members to get behind guests in line at food-service locations, so therefore, standards are in place in guest areas and a paying Carnival guest should have priority of a hammock over a non-revenue crew member. I'm all about respect for the crew, as I feel they work hard. However, a guest area should give priority to those that are paying for the experience.

Another point you brought up would be they are not there to serve you during their off hours... that is not true, according to Carnival's internal policies. Whenever in guest areas off the clock, a nametag is required to be visible and should be reactive to guest questions, inquiries and requests.

For suggestions, I would sooner contact Holland America, as HMC is their private island. If not, one can contact Carnival Corporation, but the port of call does not belong to Carnival Cruise Lines. They're just calling there.

Edited by Disconnections

The first tender boat has 2 levels, the bottom level is where the carts of supplies and food as well as Carnival employees sit. They get off first, then the upper level gets off. I have to sit on the upper level and get off after the employees and supplies get off.

The island has 6-7 hammocks and I usually don't get one. I suggest Carnival install more hammocks or have a separate crew area.

Platinum doesn't mean "entitled". If it weren't for the employees, I'm sure you wouldn't be a Carnival Platinum member. Cut them some slack.

Me 😃

A nicely written letter to CCL corp. might get your concern looked into. Don't write it like you are whinning! Be factual - in 5 cruises you have been on the first tender and have noticed that the hammocks are being taken by crew members, leaving none for the guests. Is it possible that a separate crew hammock area be set up? etc, etc, etc. Be pleasant, end it with "I hope you will look into this situation, as I have plans to visit HMC on CCL cruises many more times in the future - yada, yada, yada. Good luck! Voicing your concerns here probably will do nothing to get you a hammock. Contacting CCL directly might. (or voice it nicely on JH's facebook or blog - you may get it looked into there.)

Platinum doesn't mean "entitled". If it weren't for the employees, I'm sure you wouldn't be a Carnival Platinum member. Cut them some slack.

Me

I'm not Platinum, I'm Gold, and have been to Half Moon 3 times and have always been able to find a Hammock at the end of the cabana's. Sounds to me this person is complaining, about the very same thing they were going to do, be the first to the hammocks. What about the ones who get off later because they are not "Platinum" they would have the same complaint, "I never get a hammock because all the Platinum's and Diamonds get there first" I like hammocks, but it will not spoil my time on Half Moon if I don't get one. Maybe a time limit needs to be in place as to how long someone can HOG the hammocks. I would stay around 30 to 40 min then let someone else enjoy it. It is a valid reason to be upset, but it is a "first come first serve"

The first tender boat has 2 levels, the bottom level is where the carts of supplies and food as well as Carnival employees sit. They get off first, then the upper level gets off. I have to sit on the upper level and get off after the employees and supplies get off.

The island has 6-7 hammocks and I usually don't get one. I suggest Carnival install more hammocks or have a separate crew area.

Never been there but find it hard to belive that Carnival or any company wouls own a private beach, and only supply 6 or 7 hammocks then bring apx. 3000 people to use them. So that makes the question, is it that there or only 6 or 7 were you want 1 or is it that you only look in 1 small area and thus limit the number you have access to? Cause I am sure if there are only 6 or 7 there would have been complaints on here before now.

I love Half Moon Cay and one of my favorite things to do is relax in one of the hammocks located down the beach. I am platinum so I'm able to catch the first tender to the island. Despite arriving very early, I have noticed that all the hammocks are quickly taken by Carnival employees who have the day off. I have noticed this on every trip to the island and I don't think it is right 😕.

As hard as the crew works, let them enjoy the hammocks. If you were lucky enough to score one of the hammocks, would you keep it until your return to the ship, or for a limited time so other guest could enjoy it? Maybe Carnival should have someone monitor the time each person spends in the hammock.

It has been my experience HMC is pretty much a semi controlled free for all, especially later in the morning, I have had my lounger taken while I was swimming (towel removed and placed on the ground), and people ask to use the cabana shower. I'm on vacation and just happy to be on HMC, so I shake it off.

I think it would make the crew quite happy to have a place far away from guests on their day off.. Maybe Carnival needs to consider that and give them a place on the island to hang where they don't have to be looked at sideways or hear snarky comments when they are enjoying their 6 or 7 hour furlough in probably a couple of weeks.

I didn't even know HMC HAD hammocks.

This is really about principal. I pay between $500-$1000

for a 7 day cruise and I would like a hammock please! Don't need to compete with staff on this. They get there every week and Carnival should take care of all.

True, but you are ONE person of roughly 2,500 (depending on ship size) fighting for , as you say, 6 or 7 hammocks. Everybody spends money, you are no different then the rest of the passengers. How do you know it's crew? Could it be other passengers that were also on the first tender that are quickly trying to get ashore to grab one of the few hammocks?

With that being said, I DO agree if they are crew, then they should be required to allow the guests to utilize the hammocks first.

Don't fool yourself, off-duty officers and entertainment staff are permitted to frequent numerous guest venues and to consume alcohol while there. I often see officers dancing with guests and then inviting them to their table for a drink and later leave together. Happens on all the major lines.

Off duty officers and Entertainment staff are not crew. The crew are not allowed to be in guest areas unless they are on duty. The crew being servers, room attendants, maintenance, etc. Officers and Entertainment staff are allowed in guest areas while off duty, as long as their presence doesn't take away from the guests. Those are the rules while on the ship, so it make sense for "crew" to not be allowed in guest areas while ashore as well.

The OP said that it was "crew" in the hammocks so if that's the case, they shouldn't be based on the "rules" above.

Edited by TennesseeTater

A nicely written letter to CCL corp. might get your concern looked into. Don't write it like you are whinning! Be factual - in 5 cruises you have been on the first tender and have noticed that the hammocks are being taken by crew members, leaving none for the guests. Is it possible that a separate crew hammock area be set up? etc, etc, etc. Be pleasant, end it with "I hope you will look into this situation, as I have plans to visit HMC on CCL cruises many more times in the future - yada, yada, yada. Good luck! Voicing your concerns here probably will do nothing to get you a hammock. Contacting CCL directly might. (or voice it nicely on JH's facebook or blog - you may get it looked into there.)

good suggestions

I've not been to HMC, but I've been to Mahogany Bay a number of times... the hammocks are strictly reserved for the cabana guests. And there are only 7-8 of them, one to each cabana.

I've noticed crew like to get as far away as possible from passengers on their time off. I'm surprised they would voluntarily mingle with guests on their time off. Officers, entertainment and spa personnel are different.

I think writing John Heald is a good start to determine policy on this. Carnival may not be aware there is a problem. Or, the OP may find out those 'crew' were paying guests after all. Or that she needs to rent a cabana to get a hammock.