Nieuw Amsterdam Caribbean January 2015

mactire

My wife and I have just booked a 14 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 25th January 2015, flying from London to Miami on January 24th, staying in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale overnight and joining the ship on the 25th.

I would appreciate any help from those that have been on this ship with tit bits of information that would make our trip even better than we expect it will be. I have tried to find a copy of the Daily Program but can only find one from 2010.

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

Patrick - Good news for you! CC user Crew News will be on the ship for two weeks starting on December 7th. He usually scans everything and posts it to his website. He generally has copies of menus, programs, wine lists, cocktail menus, and so on.

(Hopefully, he's planning to do that. If not, he will see me in person and have the opportunity to beat me about the face and neck with his portable scanner. ;) )

Edited by POA1

My wife and I have just booked a 14 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 25th January 2015, flying from London to Miami on January 24th, staying in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale overnight and joining the ship on the 25th.

I would appreciate any help from those that have been on this ship with tit bits of information that would make our trip even better than we expect it will be. I have tried to find a copy of the Daily Program but can only find one from 2010.

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

Patrick, welcome to the Nieuw Amsterdam. Indeed, I shall be scanning the dining room menus and daily activities.

To give you a jump start, here are the menus for the Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, and Room Service (24/7 and free):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

As an example, here is a link to the menus for 7-day cruises last season:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=309

If you would like a copy of my HAL Travel Tips, contact me via my website.

POA1 is safe as my scanner will be working overtime for two weeks on the NA this December.

Use the unlimited laundry option for $7 per day and pack fewer suitcases. I pack for three days plus a jacket and tie for formal nights. If you are spending the night in FLL, wait until you arrive in Florida before purchasing any liquids.

Feel free to ask any questions. POA1 and I will glad to find the answers during our Dec on the NA.

Edited by Crew News

I would appreciate any help from those that have been on this ship with tit bits of information that would make our trip even better than we expect it will be.
Jimmy Maddox is scheduled to be in the Piano Bar. Try him early in the cruise. If you don't find him entertaining, you don't have to go back. If you do, you know where to go in the evenings. Suffice it to say that I am dead jealous.

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

1. Start your day from a few circles around the ship on the wrap-around promenade deck (second best at sea)

2. Don't skip Formal nights in MDR.

3. Choose Early seating in MDR.

4. Specialty restaurants: reserve a Special Event at Pinnacle and Tamarind (days other than #2).

5. Don't miss proper Afternoon tea.

7. Reserve Hydro pool & Thermal Suite (a must) in advance (call HAL). Ask about discounts.

8. Don't forget about the Fitness center.

9. Get familiar with location and access to the Front observation decks (a must for sail away from FLL, arrival and Saint Thomas and San Juan).

10. Brealfast Buffet is best at sea. Come earlier. Room service cannot substitude variety and plentifulness of the buffet.

11. The Sun deck over Tamarind is private and spacious.

12. The Sports court is one of the largest at sea.

13. Leave your habits at home. Do what is necessary to get the best of one of a few best resort ships afloat - you'll return to your habits in two weeks.

14. Make sure you have booked a cabin that is right for you.

15. Follow The GRAND TOUR of SIGNATURE class - Pics and Video

Enjoy your cruise!

ySv_pvyW6tc

Mactire, NA is a beautiful ship and the staff will do their best to make your cruise memorable. I agree with the Tamarind suggestion and would like to add taking walks on the promenade. We love the retreat cabanas and Thermal Spa if you are into relaxation. Have fun and try the Drink of the Day so you can compare the daily specials and find some favorites. If they have it, you can also try the daily cordial after dinner and get your free souvenir glass. My husband loves hot breakfasts on our veranda and since I don't like breakfast food, I can always get smoked salmon and a cheese plate.

Related question for POA1... I'm sure that you covered this in your extensive study, but would you mind sharing again your suggested wine carrier for bringing your wine on-board? I think we have officially given up on the wine list and are going to shop in Fort Lauderdale before we embark for our New Year's cruise.

Related question for POA1... I'm sure that you covered this in your extensive study, but would you mind sharing again your suggested wine carrier for bringing your wine on-board? I think we have officially given up on the wine list and are going to shop in Fort Lauderdale before we embark for our New Year's cruise.

It's called the ZEBag Ultimate Wine Bottle Carrying Case. When we bought ours, they were only about $15 on Amazon. They originally sold for around $50. I love them at $15. For fifty bucks, not so much. You can still get them on Amazon, via a third party seller with free shipping, but the price is now $35.99.

http://amzn.to/1seZcaM

If you carry a lot of wine around, you may want to spend the $36. I have them on my Amazon watch list. If they happen to show back up at the value price, I will try to remember to post about them.

It's called the ZEBag Ultimate Wine Bottle Carrying Case. When we bought ours, they were only about $15 on Amazon. They originally sold for around $50. I love them at $15. For fifty bucks, not so much. You can still get them on Amazon, via a third party seller with free shipping, but the price is now $35.99.

http://amzn.to/1seZcaM

If you carry a lot of wine around, you may want to spend the $36. I have them on my Amazon watch list. If they happen to show back up at the value price, I will try to remember to post about them.

Interesting! Thanks for the link. Questions . . . Does it fold flat when empty? Even though the end is open, the bottles don't fall out? Did you check it at the curb and it made it to your cabin OK?

Interesting! Thanks for the link. Questions . . . Does it fold flat when empty? Even though the end is open, the bottles don't fall out? Did you check it at the curb and it made it to your cabin OK?

It does fold flat for storage. The bag has two ends that attach with strong Velcro. Holland America does not allow you to curb check wine. You must carry it onto the ship yourself. The wine carriers are sturdy, but I would not trust them to protect my wine like I would trust a shipping box. If we aren't personally handling our bottles, we use boxes from Spirited Shipper. If we are just packing a few bottles, we use things called Wine Skin bottle protectors. They're heavy duty bubble wrap like bags that are bottle shaped.

This article will give you a better idea of what the bag looks like open.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/03/zebag-wine-carrier

Our local wine store, Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale, sells a little 6 bottle tote bag for $1.99. It's similar to a reusable, woven, poly-fiber grocery bag, but it has dividers to keep the 6 bottles from banging into one another.

A little demo video from the manufacturer:

Edited by POA1

Hi Folks,

What a great response to my query about our Caribbean cruise in January on the NA.

One question, which someone out there will answer, is about tipping. I come from a nation, Republic of Ireland, where tipping is not the norm unless for good service but know that in the USA it is part of the culture. When we order room service are we expected to tip the person who brings the order?

Thanks again for all your help.

patrick

Hi Folks,

What a great response to my query about our Caribbean cruise in January on the NA.

One question, which someone out there will answer, is about tipping. I come from a nation, Republic of Ireland, where tipping is not the norm unless for good service but know that in the USA it is part of the culture. When we order room service are we expected to tip the person who brings the order?

patrick

Your hotel service charge covers your basic gratuities. If you would like to tip additional, it is completely at your discretion. We usually tip our room service waiter a few dollars, but I don't think it's expected by the staff, nor have I ever seen people's service suffer if they didn't tip extra.

We'll be on the ship in a few weeks, so if you have any questions, write them down so that you can ask while we're on board. I'll do my best to get answers for you.

Edited by POA1

Hi Folks,

patrick

While not required, a tip of a couple dollars to the person who brings your room service order is very much appreciated. I know more and more people who are doing so (including us)!

Definitely try the Tamarind Restaurant -- Pan Asian food -- $20 per person for dinner.

We also like to have pre-dinner cocktails in the Silk Den.

But of course no one can book any specialty restaurants on NA for January cruises, so sorry but your advice isn't helpful, at least not now,

Edited by Oville

But of course no one can book any specialty restaurants on NA for January cruises, so sorry but your advice isn't helpful, at least not now,

FYI - I booked my specialty restaurant meal on NA online yesterday. The above info is not correct. Pinnacle Grill wasn't loaded in there, but Tamarind (the best one in my opinion) and Canaletto are there.

Have a great cruise!

Sue/WDW1972

Welcome Patrick!

Hubby & I will be onboard Jan.25 for only the 1st week! It too will be our first time on the NA. Looking forward to eating in the Tamarind again (did it on the Eurodam) and enjoying the thermal spa and the lovely ceramic thermal chairs. We've done all these ports of call before so I booked this cruise pretty much to see the NA.

Judy (and Jim)

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

You might want to post on the roll call for your cruise. Lots of information and other passengers who will be cruising with you.

Edited by PathfinderEss