C&A Upgrade offered at reduced price

I was curious on the double points as well. I believe they should apply since this is a purchased upgrade. Not a huge deal either way since I will never get past diamond plus in my lifetime. If prices keep rising we may be looking at other options for 2016.

I was curious on the double points as well. I believe they should apply since this is a purchased upgrade. Not a huge deal either way since I will never get past diamond plus in my lifetime. If prices keep rising we may be looking at other options for 2016.

We're with you...same boat!;)

We had a call 4 days prior to our cruise on Grandeur. We paid £150 each (approx $95) to upgrade from an oceanview (which had been a guarantee room allocated on deck 3) to a JS! I did not realise at the time what a bargain it was.

It was our 5th cruise but first child-free - we were given an aft balcony on deck 7 with unobstructed view out to sea. It was a great deal and room! This was a 7 day trip in the med - 2years ago.

That £150 would actually be $242 per person, still not a bad price for that much of an upgrade.

For those of you that have received this upgrade option, were you booked through a TA or RCL?

I was wondering the same thing. My bet is they booked with RCL in most cases? The TA's are commissioned so I wonder what would happen if they upgraded your room when you're with a TA.... Hmmm. :confused:

Booked through travel agent. Just checked with C & A and they said no points with this type of upgrade even though TA had said yes.

It seems that the Revenue Dept is now responsible for generating all these "upgrade" emails. I did voice my concern that those soliciting emails should mention no double points. I only upgraded from a balcony to a JS for $900 more to get the extra 7 points to get me closer to D+ . Working on the premise that there could be big changes next year. Sometimes rumers are true.

Oh well will enjoy the Oasis JS .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I was wondering the same thing. My bet is they booked with RCL in most cases? The TA's are commissioned so I wonder what would happen if they upgraded your room when you're with a TA.... Hmmm. :confused:

I would be surprised if the upgrade offers were based on whether the booking was direct or with a travel agent.

I am hoping that someone who has received one of the reduced rate upgrades to a JS will report back on whether or not they received the double points.

It sounds like differentiating between who was to receive double points and who was to not receive them would cause a computer meltdown of epic proportions at Royal.

We got double points when we paid to upgrade to a JS. They told us on the phone at the time they called to offer it to us at a very reduced rate.

We just returned from the FOS...3 days prior to cruising, my phone rang, I saw RC on caller ID....my heart started to race.....the RC rep offered us an upgrade to an Owners Suite (we were in a JS) for "only" $750.....we passed on it.

on ship, anyone who used a slot machine was put into a drawing & on the 2nd nite they drew a name & gave the OS away.....so I think this is the new thinking.

The only thing that is consistent about RCL's policies on double points is that they are inconsistent.

We have only received one free upgrade on RCL. It happened to be from balcony to JS. The policy was no double points on such upgrades. We received double points.

The only thing that is consistent about RCL's policies on double points is that they are inconsistent.

We have only received one free upgrade on RCL. It happened to be from balcony to JS. The policy was no double points on such upgrades. We received double points.

Shhhhh!

Good catch - The $200 offer to upgrade from E1 to JS is a 6 Day cruise on Indy. I booked while shopping the initial WoW deals at $937 "out the door". Now the final cost is $1137 after all discounts. Not bad for 2 in a JS.

The $250 offer to go from OS to OV-Balcony was 7 Day Allure.

Thanks for responding

I thought if u pay to upgrade to JS u would get double points? Only free upgrade you wouldn't? I would like to see where these conditions are. Not that I don't believe you, Bob, but the rules seem to be made up as they go along.

With that said, it's a brilliant idea (esp for shareholders) to get SOME $ for upgrades instead of giving them for free. And it opens up more people for the CHANCE to upgrade as many won't pay anything extra.

Also, in the interest in not overloading the top tiers, I tend to agree that a discounted upgrade to a JS should NOT give double points

I recently queried the lack of double points when we had paid a nominal amount to upgrade from an E1 to a JS. I was told no double points as we paid a discounted price

Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns!

A few weeks before my last cruise on the AOS, I called C&A and offered them my Owners Suite for the Royal Suite which was still showing as available. Much easier for them to sell an OS 2 weeks out, then an RS. They took me up on my offer, and for $500 more per person we enjoyed a fabulous week in the Royal Suite! If you don't ask.......you may never receive :D Having said that, I wound up speaking with a crackerjack C&A Diamond Plus Rep - all of this may never have come to fruition without her....she knew who to call.

Our cruise points have posted:

We did NOT get double points for upgrading to the JS from a B2 on our 9/28 Allure cruise. C & A did not tell me we would and I did not ask. We did get the cruise for $2,378.00 so I am not complaining but it would have been nice to receive the extra points. We paid $700. total to upgrade but the JS's were selling for $4,000+ at the time we upgraded so we got a fantastic deal!!