C&A Upgrade offered at reduced price

Has anyone else been getting "discounted" cost upgrade email offers from RC?

I received this option for my Labor day cruise - $250 to move from Outside to Balcony. I passed since I had two rooms and they would only upgrade one of the rooms.

Today I received a second offer to upgrade my Nov 30 cruise - Balcony to JS for $200.00 I took the deal!!

The seemed like a good deal. Free upgrades are hard to come by. Thoughts??

We got one for our last cruise to upgrade for 200.00 from an outside to a balcony and took it. We got another one to go from a balcony to a junior suite but it was 50% off and cost $$250.00 each, We took that one as well. I wonder if we got overcharged to upgrade? We did get double points as well since we are in a JS. First time in a JS so we are pretty excited!:) I think this is a quick way for them to make a little on the upgrade I hope they continue!

Yes, other lines have been doing this for years.

It seems to be the "new normal" for Royal Caribbean.

R.I.P., Upgrade Fairy.

:(

I guess the Upgrade Fairy didn't bring in enough of the 'green' stuff!!

Neither the Upgrade Fairy nor the Discount Fairy has ever left her shadow on my front door!! Maybe someday! :D

We had a call 4 days prior to our cruise on Grandeur. We paid £150 each (approx $95) to upgrade from an oceanview (which had been a guarantee room allocated on deck 3) to a JS! I did not realise at the time what a bargain it was.

It was our 5th cruise but first child-free - we were given an aft balcony on deck 7 with unobstructed view out to sea. It was a great deal and room! This was a 7 day trip in the med - 2years ago.

That's an excellent price if it's a 7 day cruise.

Good catch - The $200 offer to upgrade from E1 to JS is a 6 Day cruise on Indy. I booked while shopping the initial WoW deals at $937 "out the door". Now the final cost is $1137 after all discounts. Not bad for 2 in a JS.

The $250 offer to go from OS to OV-Balcony was 7 Day Allure.

Thanks for responding

Good catch - The $200 offer to upgrade from E1 to JS is a 6 Day cruise on Indy. I booked while shopping the initial WoW deals at $937 "out the door". Now the final cost is $1137 after all discounts. Not bad for 2 in a JS.

The $250 offer to go from OS to OV-Balcony was 7 Day Allure.

Thanks for responding

Still an excellent upgrade price, even for a 6 day cruise.:)

Got a Email to go from a central park balcony to a JS for $350.00 don't know if its a good deal or not due to the lady at C&A said we would not get the DBL points. Help what should I do O this is on Allure. Never been in a JS any perks come with it?

Got a Email to go from a central park balcony to a JS for $350.00 don't know if its a good deal or not due to the lady at C&A said we would not get the DBL points. Help what should I do O this is on Allure. Never been in a JS any perks come with it?

I think it's an OK deal, but I'd do it on Allure because I dislike the layout of the balcony stateroom so much.

JS perks:

Bathtub, walk-in closet (all but Majesty and Vision class), priority check-in and boarding, tea kettle, coffee maker, bathroom amenities, robes, double C&A points, and a silver Seapass card.

As you noted, they won't give you double points because you're not paying the going rate for the JS.

I think it's an OK deal, but I'd do it on Allure because I dislike the layout of the balcony stateroom so much.

JS perks:

Bathtub, walk-in closet (all but Majesty and Vision class), priority check-in and boarding, tea kettle, coffee maker, bathroom amenities, robes, double C&A points, and a silver Seapass card.

As you noted, they won't give you double points because you're not paying the going rate for the JS.

I thought if u pay to upgrade to JS u would get double points? Only free upgrade you wouldn't? I would like to see where these conditions are. Not that I don't believe you, Bob, but the rules seem to be made up as they go along.

With that said, it's a brilliant idea (esp for shareholders) to get SOME $ for upgrades instead of giving them for free. And it opens up more people for the CHANCE to upgrade as many won't pay anything extra.

Also, in the interest in not overloading the top tiers, I tend to agree that a discounted upgrade to a JS should NOT give double points

Edited by OTownNick

I thought if u pay to upgrade to JS u would get double points? Only free upgrade you wouldn't? I would like to see where these conditions are. Not that I don't believe you, Bob, but the rules seem to be made up as they go along.

With that said, it's a brilliant idea (esp for shareholders) to get SOME $ for upgrades instead of giving them for free. And it opens up more people for the CHANCE to upgrade as many won't pay anything extra.

Also, in the interest in not overloading the top tiers, I tend to agree that a discounted upgrade to a JS should NOT give double points

I agree that the rules seem to be made up as they go along.

The way I understand it, if you upgrade to a JS and pay the published rate, you get the double points. However, if they offer you a reduced rate upgrade, then you don't get the double points.

The way I understand it, if you upgrade to a JS and pay the published rate, you get the double points. However, if they offer you a reduced rate upgrade, then you don't get the double points.

I am hoping that someone who has received one of the reduced rate upgrades to a JS will report back on whether or not they received the double points.

It sounds like differentiating between who was to receive double points and who was to not receive them would cause a computer meltdown of epic proportions at Royal.

The way I understood it, if you pay for it, you get the points.

Seems a bit bogus to not get the points, since rates go up and down and you may well have paid more than someone getting the points if you pay for an upgrade. (Though I'm sure most posters here would be getting the best rate! ;) )

Hey Royal (er..a..Upgrade Fairy)...Good Morning! I would be very happy to upgrade our balcony cabins for a JS on our B2B Oasis cruise this Nov-Dec., for $200 each week! Feel free to contact me at anytime to complete this transaction!

Well, a person has to just put it out there, don't they?

I am hoping that someone who has received one of the reduced rate upgrades to a JS will report back on whether or not they received the double points.

It sounds like differentiating between who was to receive double points and who was to not receive them would cause a computer meltdown of epic proportions at Royal.

I don't think Royal uses computers, its a room full of trained chimpanzees clicking away on abacuses (abaci?).

It takes WAY less than that to cause an epic IT malfunction at RCI!:eek::rolleyes:;):p

We took the upgrade to move to a JS on our 9/28 Allure cruise and the points have not been posted yet. I will post back when they get posted to our account.

Not sure about that. I've seen trained chimps that can put RCI's computers to shame.:D:eek:

Untrained chimps, perhaps?:D:eek:

We took the upgrade to move to a JS on our 9/28 Allure cruise and the points have not been posted yet. I will post back when they get posted to our account.
I am interested in hearing your report; please post your outcome. That said, knowing the history of quirks, one wonders if other people will all get the same result as you (all single or all double) of if YMMV.

My example of quirks: I took solo B2B cruises during the transition phase to double points for solos. On the first cruise, double points. On the next, one single points. Go figure. In the end I am glad I got a few extra points.