luggage tags

ABQrobin

So when do you put the luggage tags on your bag handles?

We fly into Houston, then will be picked up by Carnival for transfer to boat.

Do we go ahead and put them on before we fly (do they get ripped off in handling by air crews?)

Do we put them on at Houston airport before we give them to Carnival transfer bus?

2 weeks!

Great question! We usually drive to port but this is our first sailing we are flying - I would have panicked at the last minute about what to do. We were thinking about attempting to carry everything on and not check any bags but it doesn't look possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually "laminate" mine with some packing tape (obivously write in the guest name before you do this) for added durability. Then we have stapled them onto the luggage before we leave whatever hotel we are staying at prior to our departure. After having done this, they have remained on my luggage still looking good all the way until we get back home and remove them ourselves.

Seeing as how you are flying in and getting an immediate transfer, maybe somone at one of the terminals will have one you could use to staple the tags onto your luggage. Or as another poster stated, take a small one in your luggage so that you can do this.

I also use clear packing tape on my luggage tags. Then I fold it and punch a hole in the ends. I thread a pony tail holder through it & attach it to my luggage and backpack. Nothing goes on until after our flight, though. The reason I put one on my backpack is in hopes of getting my things returned should they get left somewhere. I've never left it, but just in case... At any rate, the tag is protected from tearing & from water in case it's raining when we board the ship. And, I can always use the pony tail holders.

So when do you put the luggage tags on your bag handles?

We fly into Houston, then will be picked up by Carnival for transfer to boat.

Do we go ahead and put them on before we fly (do they get ripped off in handling by air crews?)

Do we put them on at Houston airport before we give them to Carnival transfer bus?

2 weeks!

Put the Carnival luggage tags on after you land and before you get on the bus.

I put them on at home (4 staples) before flying and have never had them tear off. I do bring 2 extras though, just in case. With the staples the tags are just as secure as the airline destination tags (IMO)

Been waiting for this reply! DH says in the past we have put them on before we fly, but I couldn't remember. We also laminate with packing tape, punch holes and secure with electrical ties. I also will take extras in my carry-on just in case. One can never be too OCD!

I also put a tag on any carryon as a "just in case". Also, I put a tag INSIDE my suitcase. Actually had a garment bag not only make it onto the ship, but onto our deck (saw it on the luggage rack they were using). It had the luggage tag on it but someone used the numbers on the name and sent to wrong cabin. By the time the garment bag made it downstairs to the "naughty room" the tag was gone. Learned my lesson and tags go inside as well.

I also put a tag on any carryon as a "just in case". Also, I put a tag INSIDE my suitcase. Actually had a garment bag not only make it onto the ship, but onto our deck (saw it on the luggage rack they were using). It had the luggage tag on it but someone used the numbers on the name and sent to wrong cabin. By the time the garment bag made it downstairs to the "naughty room" the tag was gone. Learned my lesson and tags go inside as well.

Yeah, always a good idea to put something that can identify you as the owner inside the bag in case the tag gets ripped off by one of the bag belts or something. Even when you are flying, that is a great idea. They can always find out who the owner is easily that way if the bag is just sitting in the office unclaimed in the wrong city possibly and get it back where it is supposed to go. I never laminated my cruise bag tags though, just stapling them and wrapping them snugly around the handle of the suitcase and stapling them is plenty enough. You would really have to work hard to rip the tags off that way.

We always put them on the morning of the cruise before we leave our pre-cruise hotel. I just bring a mini stapler with me. It works perfect. I always laminate our tags as well

We do that also. We have never lamiinated the tags though. In reality, you don't even have to print the tags at all as the porters will tag the bags for you on the spot. However, if you have priority such as fttf or platinum, having PRIORITY clearly printed on a pre-done tag does help with delivery time. At least on my Breeze cruise, we got our bags in our cabin at 1245 and we probably checked them in no earlier than 1145. So they apparently do pay attention to the priority tags now. We don't even bring a stapler anymore though. Every hotel or baggage service office has one that you can use when it comes time to put the tags on the bags on embarkation day. But I also agree with those who say don't put the tags on before you fly. It is unnecessary, confusing to everyone involved and increases the risk of having the tags ripped off the bags.

Instead of all the packing tape, staples, zip ties, etc., wouldn't it be easier to just use these?

luggagetag_holder.jpg

I also purchased a set of these and they are awesome!! So easy to use and reuse and lets face it. We are all addicts... so we will all be reusing. LOL! I have lent them out to family and they are wonderful. So while I am still home I get my luggage tags all printed out and put in the holders and pack them away in my airline carry on right with my passports therefore all of that stuff is together and then it is easy as Pie to put on day of cruise!