Passport expiry date

The Australian government website states your passport is valid until its expiry date. It is not an Aus immigration requirement to have 6 months. It is the cruise liners and airlines that demand passports to have 6 months validity or risk refused boarding.

I have to renew two child passports because they have less than 6 months left.

I like to hear if someone has unknowinly use a passport with less than 6 months to travel. My family is not going to risk it.

Our passports expire 5 months & 3 weeks after we return to Australia from next year's cruise. I've planned to renew passports before we leave, but was interested to know if Aus immigration is super strict with the 6 month rule?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't renew your passports until you decide when you are next going to travel, after next year's cruise, as you will have six months on your passport when you cruise.

Edited by MMDown Under

The Australian government website states your passport is valid until its expiry date. It is not an Aus immigration requirement to have 6 months. It is the cruise liners and airlines that demand passports to have 6 months validity or risk refused boarding.

I have to renew two child passports because they have less than 6 months left.

I like to hear if someone has unknowinly use a passport with less than 6 months to travel. My family is not going to risk it.

I didn't know this. Agree, it's not worth the risk to be denied boarding our LA - BNE flight home.

Are you cruising from Australia to USA?

If you still have 5 months and three weeks validity on your passport when you return from your trip, you would have more than 6 months left on it when you board your cruise to USA. So far, so good:). I believe the US requires visitors to have 6 months on their passport. When you arrive in the USA at the end of your cruise (if I am understanding correctly that you cruise from Aust to USA), how much time do you still have on your passport? If it is less than 6 months you might have a problem.

There would not be a problem boarding a plane to return to Australia because Australian Immigration does not require us to have any specific time of validity left on the passport. They have stated that our passports are valid right up to the date of expiry. For your peace of mind it is easy to check this out.

The only problem I see is the date you will land on USA soil. I think you will need the 6 months leeway.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

Our passports expire 5 months & 3 weeks after we return to Australia from next year's cruise. I've planned to renew passports before we leave, but was interested to know if Aus immigration is super strict with the 6 month rule?

Thanks in advance.

Is it just a local cruise e.g. to the South Pacific, and you leave more than 6 months, but get back within?

If so, that should be okay. If you're travelling further afield though, could be problems - but if it's only Australia within the 6 months, you'd likely be okay. All depends on dates and destinations.

We are in the same predicament Anna.

We will leave Sydney on 27th March 2015 and arrive in Tokyo on 29th April and are planning to stay for three nights which brings us to 2nd May. Our passports expire on 1st November 2015, which means we will be 1 day short of our 6 month window. I have been on the Japan visa site and they say that your passport is valid until the expiration date (1-11-15) and there is no mention of having a 6 month period. So here's hoping we will be ok! :eek:

We have cruised between NZ and Aus with Passports that have had less than 6 months remaining without any problems. (I guess it's a case of Aus and NZ trusting each other.)

I think this 6 months limit is brought on by the airline not wanting to be responsible for persons not being accepted at the destination and therefore have the cost of repatriating them to port of origin.

Anna - your passports should be fine, as long as they have at least one unstamped page.

Here's an excerpt from Aust Gov Passport website:

"Questions: Do I need six months validity left on my passport before I can travel from and then re enter Australia?

Reply: Australian passports are valid for travel into and out of Australia regardless of the length of remaining validity. An Australian passport remains valid until the expiry date.

However, it is the right of any country to control entry into their borders and this is usually done via visas or ensuring sufficient validity remains on the visitor’s travel document. Entry requirements are decided by foreign governments and are not something that the Australian Government can influence.

You need to ensure that your passport has adequate validity to meet the entry requirements of the countries you intend to visit (or transit). Some countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay, and immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity." end of quote

However there's a USA travel website that states that passport holders from certain counties, of which Australia is on the list, do not require 6 month's validity from the end of their expected stay. Enjoy your travels

We arrive in FLL April 28, do 3 cruises, fly out from LA on June 1 and arrive in Aus on June 3. Passports expire Nov 9. We'll have to renew passports sometime next year in any case, but trying to save $488 may not be an option.

Eileen you're lots closer, but you'll be good.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Anna - your passports should be fine, as long as they have at least one unstamped page.

Here's an excerpt from Aust Gov Passport website:

"Questions: Do I need six months validity left on my passport before I can travel from and then re enter Australia?

Reply: Australian passports are valid for travel into and out of Australia regardless of the length of remaining validity. An Australian passport remains valid until the expiry date.

However, it is the right of any country to control entry into their borders and this is usually done via visas or ensuring sufficient validity remains on the visitor’s travel document. Entry requirements are decided by foreign governments and are not something that the Australian Government can influence.

You need to ensure that your passport has adequate validity to meet the entry requirements of the countries you intend to visit (or transit). Some countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay, and immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity." end of quote

However there's a USA travel website that states that passport holders from certain counties, of which Australia is on the list, do not require 6 month's validity from the end of their expected stay. Enjoy your travels

Thanks for researching this Bizziecruzer. It's good info to share with all of us too.

I think this 6 months limit is brought on by the airline not wanting to be responsible for persons not being accepted at the destination and therefore have the cost of repatriating them to port of origin.

The airlines don't make the limit. However, they are responsible for repatriating the passenger if they aren't permitted into the country, so check the validity and will apply the limits to ensure there aren't problems. It's in both parties best interests.

We arrive in FLL April 28, do 3 cruises, fly out from LA on June 1 and arrive in Aus on June 3. Passports expire Nov 9. We'll have to renew passports sometime next year in any case, but trying to save $488 may not be an option.

Using that scenario, you should be ok, as you enter the US with time to spare on your passport. One worry, is the re-entry to the US from your cruises (if they leave the US and return) If the US immigration allows you back from your cruise, you are fine to fly home. When you go to fill out your ESTA form then you will find out.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Using that scenario, you should be ok, as you enter the US with time to spare on your passport. One worry, is the re-entry to the US from your cruises (if they leave the US and return) If the US immigration allows you back from your cruise, you are fine to fly home. When you go to fill out your ESTA form then you will find out.:D

I don't believe the ESTA checks that, unless it changed recently.

On an earlier passport, I had a year or so left and had to get an ESTA for the US. There was no problem with my travel dates, but the passport expired before the ESTA would have. I didn't get any alert or warning.

As you only have to give suggested trips, I believe it's only checking whether you're approved to travel for certain periods, not basing it on passport validity.

I don't believe the ESTA checks that, unless it changed recently.

On an earlier passport, I had a year or so left and had to get an ESTA for the US. There was no problem with my travel dates, but the passport expired before the ESTA would have. I didn't get any alert or warning.

As you only have to give suggested trips, I believe it's only checking whether you're approved to travel for certain periods, not basing it on passport validity.

You do have to enter Passport details which include the expiry dates along with the probable dates of entry and departure.:D

You do have to enter Passport details which include the expiry dates along with the probable dates of entry and departure.:D

Yes, you do enter them, but they don't validate as far as I know. As said, I entered passport dates that expired early, but it didn't bring up any warnings or alerts.

Thank you for giving more information. As I said in Post No. 6, the problem would be your entry into USA after your cruises and before your flight home. From the dates you have given, you would not have six months validity remaining on your passports. It all hinges on whether USA requires you to have that clear six months. Bizziecruiser's information is that they do not require it. I am not doubting that information, but it would be worth checking, just for peace of mind. You will be OK boarding a flight to Australia without having the passports renewed.

Then your current passports will be valid for the whole trip.

Depart US 1/6 is more than 6 months prior to your passport expiry.

From Australia's requirements, your passports are valid until 9/11, so you even have a quickie to NZ between 3/6 and 3/11, seeing it is said they trust us to leave!

I always renew my passports as late as possible, because, like you, I usually have a trip planned at the end of my current passport validity.

Edited by MMDown Under

We travel on NZ passports. last year we went to FLL and then cruised around South America back to San Francisco. My husband had 6 months on his passport when we arrived in the US. After the cruise he had 4 months left on his passport. There were no issues anywhere about the expiry date.

Yes, you do enter them, but they don't validate as far as I know. As said, I entered passport dates that expired early, but it didn't bring up any warnings or alerts.

I was referring to the passports expiring (within the 6 months) while in the US not prior to the length of the ESTA (which is generally valid for two years). I can see how this is sounding more confusing but an visa waiver cannot be processed unless the passport is valid for the whole time of travel rather than the whole period of the ESTA. In any case, I think they will be fine unless they leave the US visit elsewhere and then return with their last cruise.:D

In any case, I think they will be fine unless they leave the US visit elsewhere and then return with their last cruise.:D

They are. They are doing three cruises from Fort Lauderdale starting on 28th April. These cruises would take them to countries other than USA (probably South America or the Caribbean or both). They then fly out of LA on 1st June. It looks like the cruises end in Fort Lauderdale or maybe on the west coast. As there was no mention of time spent in USA after the cruises and before flying home, it looks like they will re-enter USA on 1st June or maybe 31st May.

Speaking of passports. My very well used passport had an accident with a cup of coffee shortly after arrival in the UK last year. I then travelled through multiple countries in Europe including Germany, Russia, Hungry, Holland, and many more. I completed 24 days of cruising the Baltics, and Norway, then 3 weeks on a coach tour of eastern Europe. Arrived home two months later, without difficulty.

Jan this year my daughter and I sailed Singapore to Hong Kong via Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, & and finally chinese HK. As we were going through immigration at Perth, I was told my passport should not be used. And I was traveling at my own risk. and my passport has how been 'flagged'. Why was Nothing was said on my previous arrival, so that I could attend to it????. :confused:Anyway we proceeded with trepidation. Not one of any of the other countries that I visited on either holiday, made comment on my passport, except one chap who said that my passport was obviously having a good time.

Now with 5 years remaining, I have to get a new passport, Just in Case. :rolleyes: K

Then your current passports will be valid for the whole trip.

Depart US 1/6 is more than 6 months prior to your passport expiry.

From Australia's requirements, your passports are valid until 9/11, so you even have a quickie to NZ between 3/6 and 3/11, seeing it is said they trust us to leave!

I always renew my passports as late as possible, because, like you, I usually have a trip planned at the end of my current passport validity.

Sorry Marion...it's just a bit over 5 months