Leaving tomorrow - Transderm Scop patch

bmorecat

Now I know I should have asked this before tonight, but a friend just got the patch and her doctor was warning her about some of the side effects.

I have been on bayou tours and water taxis before and never gotten sea sick, but I know that isn't the ocean.

I don't generally get motion sick on airplanes either...but I have been motion sick on the subway before. Enough that I needed to get off for a break before we continued our trip. Occasionally I get motion sick in stop and go or backed up traffic too.

So I have 4 patches, should I put it on now, or wait and see? I don't want to deal with the side effects, which is why I'm asking. I know I should have tried it before now but this isn't something my doctor brought up, she did not make this sound very serious!

Alright, last question, if I DO get side effects and take the patch off, how long until the effects generally wear off?

Thanks for answering questions for this ill prepared newbie who thought she had EVERY base covered lol. :o

Are you saying that your friend got the patches and gave them to you??

I would ditch the idea of using the patches and get some Bonine or Dramamine avaliable almost anywhere.....supermarkets or drug stores. Everything has side effects but those patches are really not the best thing to use.

Edited by Marie51

It is my opinion to use medicine as directed by the prescribed provider! I would not suggest starting motion sickness medication until you are moving ie. you need to sleep tonight before your trip tomorrow! I would suggest IF motion sickness does happen on your cruise that you do like the wife and I and seek out the broth soup of the day and several saltine crackers. Today's modern cruise ships have great stabilizers.

No matter what you do have a great trip and let me be the first to say "Bon Voyage!"

Thanks for the replies so far.

No, the patches are mine, and prescribed to me, sorry if that was unclear. My friend was prescribed after me, and her doctor talked to her about the side effects more than mine did...so when she shared what her doctor had said it kind of scared me off.

I get motion sickness pretty easily due to some neurological issues. My dr told me to put the patch on 2 or 3 days before I flew to the ship. Any of the motion sickness meds are better at preventing motion sickness than they are at treating it. Once it starts, its much harder to stop. So if you think motion sickness might be a problem, start the med ASAP

I use the patch. I put it on 24 hours before my cruise. I never had any side effects. I replace it every 3 days. Once I tried to go 4 days and the motion got to me. Now I follow the directions. A few times when seas were rough I had to take a Bonine also. No problems or side effect either.

my doctor said there are to many side effects of those patches infact unless you get severely seasick its not worth it. i took bonine and had no problem with seasickness...with that said everyone is different if you want to take them just in case i'd only use if you really need them. you can pick up some over the counter meds and try those if your worried.

I get motion sickness. I use bonine and take care to prevent it when I can. You can get a big bottle of meclazine behind the counter at Walmart pharmacy for less than buying name brand. The biggest problem I have is in interior spaces where I can't see out. I always sit facing the way the ship is moving in the dining room for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transderm-Scop patches can have a nasty little side effect of blurring your vision for up to 3 days. I'm a pharmacy tech and we get a travel related question once a day at least. We have an OTC section set up just to deal with it. We always recommend Bonine for preventative and if you must get something prescribed, Zofran. Used together you can handle the roughest seas with no side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn the patch successfully on about 15 cruises. Very few side effects - just a bit of blurry vision. However, two cruises ago I just felt a bit off - so on my last cruise I used acupuncture and it worked great.

Back to the patch. Most people don't have bad side effects. Many people will have slightly blurry vision (I had to wear my reading glasses always to read). Some people will feel sleepy.

Your physician prescribes the patch because they didn't expect you to have any bad side effects. Put the patch on a few HOURS before you get on the ship.

*Very important*. Don't cut it in half. Wash your hands very, very well after touching the patch. That medication is the same stuff that doctors use to make your eyes dilate for eye exams, so if you tough your eyes with a bit of the medication on your fingers you will have real vision issues.

If you decide not to use the patch then try one-half Bonine every night before bed.

My wife was prescribed the patch and experienced severe side effects. Hullicinations included her sitting up in bed petting our dead cat, then later finding her sitting up holding a conversation with her brother who wasn't even on the ship.

Your doctor prescribed it and obviously knows you better than any of us do.

I have used the patch many times with NO side effects AT ALL. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me, and that you have no side effects, but if you do have blurred vision or other problems, you can always take the patch off. I put it on the morning of the cruise since it takes a few hours for it to start working.

The patch lasts a week for me. You may have different results, of course.

It is possible to sweat or wash or swim the patch off. Be sure your skin is completely dry when you apply it, and check several times a day to be sure it is still there.

Hope you have a great trip!