Does anyone enjoy overpacking?

illybell

I too wouldn't call it overpacking so much as "having options". As long as I don't incur any luggage fees and can manage carrying my own luggage, I'm good. For a chuckle, here's an idea of what I packed for my recent 7-night Bermuda cruise:

5 sundresses

1 formal gown

3 swimsuits

3 cover ups

5 pair of flip flops

Wedge sandals

Sneakers

Black satin pumps

About 10 casual tops

3-4 shorts/capris

3 pair of pants

3 long sleeve tops

Pjs, undies, socks, 2 pashmina type scarves

And a wide array/selection of accessories. What? I like to be coordinated :)

And I wore *almost* everything.

Edit: I would usually wear shorts/capris and a tank top to breakfast, switch into swimsuit and coverup (or excursion outfit), then change into a dress or linen pants and a sparkly tank top for dinner.

b7edee3e77d17fa6dd6c89b8a65fe7ba.jpg

My packing list (on left side - right side is mom's night time outfits for coordination efforts)

I did swap out tan wedges for the tan flat sandals. I also took out the boat shoes. And I added a sundress that I just got on clearance as a spare.

I don't think I'm going to bring the pink floppy hat. No good way to pack it without crushing.

Everything is packed except for 2 gowns and one cocktail dress that I'll pack last minute and a few things like my hair brush, razor, nail polish, etc...

Everything (including toiletries) that I need through the first night at dinner is in my rolling carryon. This also has my jewelry.

My checked bag (weighing 40 lbs) has the rest of my clothes, shoes, accessories and the rest of my toiletries. I won't need to get into that until after dinner the first night.

My beach bag has everything I need for the plane (purse, book, electronics, cards, filtered water bottle, TSA bag that will go in rolling carry on after security, money, documents folder, snacks that I still need to get, bonine, earplanes). If I need to gate check my rolling carry on, everything of value is in my beach bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooh how I loved reading this thread.

I pack just right, for me.

I am relatively new to cruising, and most of our cruises have been to hot climates, 10 - 16 days, so I can only address packing for slightly longer warm weather cruises.

For day wear:

I started by hauling along lots of shorts, tops and capris and just a couple of dresses and a couple of swimsuits. This ended up being a lot of luggage filled with stuff I never wore.

Now I have learnt my clothing preferences for hotter climates. I pack a few dresses for shore excursions etc, (I love the one I am wearing in my avitar and have it in red and black too. They are made of swimsuit fabric so I will rinse them through occasionally.), but I live in 5-6 bikinis and a couple of cover-ups when on board or going to the beach.

For evenings:

I still pack a dress for each night (14aprox), a couple of pashminas , a cardigan, and lots of jewelry. Unfortunately my shoe selection has shrunk because my feet swell and I have only a couple of pair of shoes that will fit for evenings. My feet are only size 2 so getting new ones to fit my fat cruise feet is very difficult.

General:

An umberella - bright and jazzy so I can use it for sun or rain, and a rain slick, to ensure no rain.

I take quite a bit in the lotions and potions dept because of the odd alergy to insects etc.

How much room does this take up? 1 25in suitcase and a large carry-on that will hold my jewelry, a swimsuit, a change of clothes, and my laptop.

On the cruise with all the shorts and tops the packing was horrendous; I couldn't get everything to fit. Silly us, we looked at each other and both said - another suitcase, hauled it out, packed it, and thought it was well worth the extra $70 in luggage fees to keep me happy.

Our next cruise is Singapore to Dubai (14nights). I already know it is a 2 25in suitcase trip. I may not need all the space going, but there is shopping involved as well as a month in the UK at the end, so I will need it on the way back.

Each to their own where packing is concerned. I wish I could pack lighter, but enjoy dressing up for the evening too much. Maybe after 20 cruises I may not love doing the evening dress up so will be happy with carry-on alone. Doubt it.

Cheers, h.

I love to overpack! My normal clothes are boring work clothes or jeans and sweaters. I have another whole wardrobe for traveling.

Cruises let me be fun and flirty. DH is a good sport about it all. Gotta have dry bathing suits, cover ups, nice dresses, fun capris and sparkly tops, work out clothes and shoes, sandals, sneakers, hats, jewelry.

Now, I have been known to go to Europe for three weeks with only a carry on and a large purse. I end up doing a lot of mix and match and some light laundry every second or third night. The only thing that keeps that from being too boring are bright colors.

I love to overpack! My normal clothes are boring work clothes or jeans and sweaters. I have another whole wardrobe for traveling.

Cruises let me be fun and flirty. DH is a good sport about it all. Gotta have dry bathing suits, cover ups, nice dresses, fun capris and sparkly tops, work out clothes and shoes, sandals, sneakers, hats, jewelry.

Now, I have been known to go to Europe for three weeks with only a carry on and a large purse. I end up doing a lot of mix and match and some light laundry every second or third night. The only thing that keeps that from being too boring are bright colors.

This part of your post reminds me of a "grand dame of cruising" whom I met on my first cruise back in 1986. Her advice consisted of "blue, orange, coral, turquoise, red, yellow, and navy and white combinations."

Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories!

I am a cruise newbie going on my first "real" cruise, I've only been on one 4 day years ago when I was a young teen, but I am a very frequent traveler and always have been....I'm also a girly girl and a proud over-packer.

All I've read on these boards is how you should wear things over again and no one will notice...but I will...

Is anybody else with me? I've never had an overweight fee and I always pack for two outfits a day and lots of shoe and accessory options...I can't be alone in enjoying the excuse of vacation to indulge, haha.

Though maybe it's just because I wear a hideous uniform daily in the real world :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with ya!

I love having choices and so I take as much as I can fit into my 29" suitcase without going over the 50 lb. limit. I usually make a chart and plan outfits for whatever it is I'm doing on any given day or evening. However, I always love to throw in a few extra things...just in case. I usually always wear what I take but it always seems that I end up changing up the outfits I had planned out before the trip. At the last minute I'll decide to wear a top with a different pant than I had planed to wear it with, for example.

Another reason I like to pack to the limit is that I refuse to do laundry, even to rinse out a swimsuit, when I'm on vacation. Nothing would irk me more. I'm also not interested in wearing something more than once. One exception is that I will wear a tunic top to dinner and then wear it as a beach cover-up the next day...but that's about it. You will never see me at dinner in the MDR in the same clothes twice. But that's just me.

I say whatever floats your boat is how you should pack. I don't care if other people wear their clothing items more than once. I appreciate how they mix and match...it's just not my thing. I just don't feel comfortable wearing things more than once. This has come back to haunt me as my DS (now 19) has picked up on this and since he was little he too hates wearing something more than once. This means I have lots of laundry to do when he's home from college.:eek: It's okay though...laundry is one of my least hateful domestic jobs. LOL!

Edited by mousey

I tend to pack quite a bit. I'm a runner and run a few times during the cruise so I have to pack my running shorts/tanks/sports bras then something to wear after I shower, then something for dinner. Of course, if I only wear that last outfit to dinner I will wear it again later on but not the running or daily clothes. The only shoes I bring are my flip flips or sandals, running shoes and swim shoes (in case we swim in the ocean, I'm super tenderfooted lol) So, I guess that makes 3 running outfits, 7 outfits (one for each day+ an extra) and probably 2-3 dinner outfits for a 7 days cruise.

I don't enjoy overpacking...

I hate too many choices. I need my wardrobe to be streamlined so that I don't stare at all the clothes and struggle to make up my mind. Because it is a struggle for me...one reason why I have a smaller wardrobe in general.

I think it's great that other ladies can have so much fun with all their clothes and enjoy the time and choices for adding accessories...but this is a small form of torture for me personally. I'd rather wear one dress that I know fits me great and makes me feel good multiple times than bring several dresses and have to decide which one I would like to wear that night. OMG. Nightmare.

Oh my gosh, I'm the same way. I found a solution while packing for my upcoming cruise by taking my shorts and folding them in half, then taking the shirt I want to wear with it and folding it in half and I lay it on the shorts then roll them up together. I do this for every outfit. They pack easily and all I do in the morning is grab a roll and I don't have to spend time stressing over which shorts to wear with which shirts. I do that at home while I'm packing. lol

I am definately an over packer!!! For our first cruise, I didn't wear 1/2 of what I brought and brought 9 prs of shoes, of which I wore about 4, lol!!!

Fast forward to our last cruise in March of 2013 & I basically wore everything I brought and packed it in one big suitcase and then a little carry on. I love to have options though!! For our upcoming cruise next March, we have 2.5 days in Orlando before the cruise and 1.5 days after, so when packing, I will have to take that into consideration. I am also going to Cancun in early January for a Scentsy Leadership incentive trip that I earned so last week when I packed my summer clothes away, I kept one bag of items that I will be picking from for Cancun and the cruise. I will not let myself check the other bags (I had two other) but I have my favourites and they are all together. I actually want to start getting stuff together for Cancun as I leave fly out Jan 5th but my son has a hockey tournament Jan 2-4th in the town that is on the border of the town I'm hopefully flying out from. I know I won't have a lot of time in December, so I'd better get planning!!! Plus I'm going by myself, so will be needing to handle my luggage myself.

I LOVE packing for vacation!!!!

What a thrill to finally overpack because we can drive to port from FL house! Shoes, cosmetics (full size, not 3 oz samples!), big hats, fun things to wear once if I feel like it- oh it's great! Real heavy books, a couple for each of us! For years, we had to pack efficiently. Often, luggage was soaked by rain in Atlanta ( always Atlanta). We always had to weigh bags and think so hard about dividing wardrobe in case we were separated from our bags and one or more did not make it thru system. Always had to choose basics over colorful favorites. Evening wear had to be packable, no wrinkle- now I can carry great dresses with me in garment bag and not even worry! Yes, I enjoy overpacking - one of life's little pleasures!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told I'm definitely an overpacker but I would rather be safe than sorry and have to much than not enough. I like options, at least two outfits a day. :) The last cruise I had a suitcase just for shoes. Lol They say try to limit it to 2 suitcases and a carry on per person. So if it's just me and my husband that gives me 3 and a half suitcases and 2 carry ons.:D We drive to port, so I load up. Lol

I've been told I'm definitely an overpacker but I would rather be safe than sorry and have to much than not enough. I like options, at least two outfits a day. :) The last cruise I had a suitcase just for shoes. Lol They say try to limit it to 2 suitcases and a carry on per person. So if it's just me and my husband that gives me 3 and a half suitcases and 2 carry ons.:D We drive to port, so I load up. Lol

It's always great to encounter a fellow "footwear enthusiast!"

I have loved reading everyone's ideas, comments, and opinions on this thread. I'm getting ready for my first solo cruise, leaving tomorrow, EEEK, and I'm packing everything that I want. I'm driving to port so I don't have to worry about extra charges for baggage fees on the plane. Right now I have one medium sized suitcase pretty much packed, but I've got about 5 or 6 things that don't fit. Now I'm debating between trying to shove everything in a backpack or bring a rolling carry-on. I'm thinking the rolling carry-on would be nicer because I'm just imaging how heavy my backpack might be and I'm not a fan. Lol.

I have loved reading everyone's ideas, comments, and opinions on this thread. I'm getting ready for my first solo cruise, leaving tomorrow, EEEK, and I'm packing everything that I want. I'm driving to port so I don't have to worry about extra charges for baggage fees on the plane. Right now I have one medium sized suitcase pretty much packed, but I've got about 5 or 6 things that don't fit. Now I'm debating between trying to shove everything in a backpack or bring a rolling carry-on. I'm thinking the rolling carry-on would be nicer because I'm just imaging how heavy my backpack might be and I'm not a fan. Lol.

I would bring the rolling cary on, because if your cabin is not ready when you board, it would be easier to walk around with.

Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a be prepared for everything packer. I also notice when others around me rehear the same things.

Last September , in preparation for a 16 day cruise I tried packing light on a 7 day cruise. I constantly read on the cc boards about people just pack a swim suit for their day wear. So I totally planned ahead with excursions and so forth. I took my swim suit for sea days and didn't take options for evening wear. I wasn't happy or comfortable. We had rainy days where I spent time indoors and not up on deck reading. Also, I usually only stay out in the sun for 4 hours at a time. I was not comfortable going to things inside the ship in my swimsuit and cover up.

When I finally made that 16 day cruise I had done more research. I did take my LBD and mixed various accessories like lightweight jackets, scarves, and different shoes. Towards the end of the cruise I had people commenting on how much luggage I must have brought. I still had my stuff in the same large suitcase that I take for a 7 day and my carry on. Our dinner mates could not believe that they had seen me in the same LBD on alternate nights of the cruise. My husband used the ship's laundry service for his clothes and I did 2 small loads of my own laundry.

Even with the airlines charging for luggage I don't see myself cutting back to a carry-on as my only luggage. I will incorporate the cost of luggage into my vacation cost.

Yep! I do!

I stuff as much as I possibly can into a large 29" rolling suitcase, a 21" matching, rolling carry-on, and a big, matching tote bag. That's how I roll (pun intended). I love to have bunches of clothes, shoes, and accessories (hats, jewelry, scarves, etc.) that I can play with. I usually make charts and put together outfits according to our planned activities for each day of our cruise (usually 2 outfits for each day of a 7-dayer). However, I often (very often) will end up changing things up once I'm on the cruise using what I've brought to create new outfits. I like to buy something in the cruise shops or in the various ports and will put together a new outfit using my new purchase. I just love playing dress-up!

I've read enough fashion blogs to be able to travel light if I had to...but the few times I've cut back...getting dressed up wasn't nearly as much fun as when I have choices. I can throw together a new outfit in the blink of an eye. LOL! It's just fun and easy for me and I really love doing it. My friends have told me that I should have been a fashion stylist...maybe in my next life. LOL!

Edited by mousey

Yep! I do!

I stuff as much as I possibly can into a large 29" rolling suitcase, a 21" matching, rolling carry-on, and a big, matching tote bag. That's how I roll (pun intended). I love to have bunches of clothes, shoes, and accessories (hats, jewelry, scarves, etc.) that I can play with. I usually make charts and put together outfits according to our planned activities for each day of our cruise (usually 2 outfits for each day of a 7-dayer). However, I often (very often) will end up changing things up once I'm on the cruise using what I've brought to create new outfits. I like to buy something in the cruise shops or in the various ports and will put together a new outfit using my new purchase. I just love playing dress-up!

I've read enough fashion blogs to be able to travel light if I had to...but the few times I've cut back...getting dressed up wasn't nearly as much fun as when I have choices. I can throw together a new outfit in the blink of an eye. LOL! It's just fun and easy for me and I really love doing it. My friends have told me that I should have been a fashion stylist...maybe in my next life. LOL!

I am with you on this. I know how to pack light and have done so on rare occasions, but I love choice. :) While I am young enough and fit enough to handle my extra luggage then I will do so.

Just finished packing for my cruise next weekend and ended up filling my 26", my 21" and my bag that just barely fits as a personal item.

I think I did well considering one of my 2 formal gowns took up a third of my 21" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've so enjoyed reading these posts!

Reminds me of our first cruise (7 days Norwegian Fjords from Southampton) and since there were no flights involved and therefore no weight limits, I took a full size suitcase plus a holdall just for shoes and toiletries.

My Other Half spent the entire week asking ladies how many shoes they had packed. He was shocked that I packed 10 pairs for 7 days. Personally I couldn't see his problem!

I've so enjoyed reading these posts!

Reminds me of our first cruise (7 days Norwegian Fjords from Southampton) and since there were no flights involved and therefore no weight limits, I took a full size suitcase plus a holdall just for shoes and toiletries.

My Other Half spent the entire week asking ladies how many shoes they had packed. He was shocked that I packed 10 pairs for 7 days. Personally I couldn't see his problem!

I know, what's his problem...LOL! My first cruise, when I was 19, I packed 14 pair of shoes for a 5-day cruise. And yes, I did wear them all!