Safari truck transportation

Geology_Rocks

Last time we were in St Thomas, we took one of those open-air safari trucks into town to go shopping. I vaguely recall that the also went to some of the beaches, but can't remember which ones. Are either Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach serviced by these trucks?

Thanks!

Safari trucks can be taxis or run the $2 bus route. If you take a taxi, you will be dropped off right at the door for either beach. If you take the $2 route, you will have to walk from the main road to each. There are new buses which seem to be making their rounds a bit more frequently than the old ones did. There may be efforts to stop the safaris from running the bus route.

And neither has anybody who has published transportation information on the popular websites. The information on the buses is totally incorrect, and the information on the safaris is partially incorrect. The taxi information is mostly correct.

This thread seems to be trying to cover them all depending on the interpretation of the reader. It is totally confusing!

Is it well marked where to go to catch a taxi or bus route safari? How frequently do the bus route safaris run?

As you exit the pier there will be a dispatcher who will direct you to the safari bus that will go to the beach of your choice. The fare is 9.00 p/p ea way to Coki or Sapphire. You can ask for the driver to return but there is always plenty of safari buses waiting at the beach.

Last time (I think it was last year) when we were at St. Thomas we walked to a bus stop and caught open air bus for $1pp. It took us to the downtown market. Then we took another one to the last stop (University as far as I remember). From there it was 5 min walk to Brewers Bay. Beautiful beach, quite deserted. We met only one local couple there. We had an entire beach to ourselves. After few hours there we walked back to the bus stop and caught return bus to the ship. It took maybe 30 minutes one way. We drove past airport, I remember that.

We will be back in December and we will probably try the same thing. It worked out great.

Yes, Brewers is a less visited beach, but it's not as clean, IMO, as other beaches that are more popular. I have seen stray dogs and people taking their dog into the water there. I posted pics with comments a while back on every trail.com. Locals tend to go there, because they can bring their own stuff and avoid tourists. Only 2 food trucks with limited menus.

As I remember we left cruiseport and turn left. We came to a road crossing and there was a bus stop there. Remember that they drive on the left side. There are busses that serve as taxis and look pretty much the same; open air bus with benches. I think they are marked as taxis. We just asked if this is the safari bus to make sure we got a correct one. The guy in the info booth in cruiseport may give you better directions, although he wants you to take one of the busses stationed there. I am not sure how much those are.

Sent from Kindle using Tapatalk.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time we were in St. Thomas is 2012 we took the Safari Bus to Sapphire Beach and it was two dollars per person. You walk out of the cruise terminal down the street to a bus stop. There will be people harrassing you to take their taxi or bus and if you ask them about the safari bus they will lie to you. They told us there was no such thing or that it was not running now. That kind of thing. They get mad when you even say the word safari bus at least they did to us.

It was not marked but we asked a local lady and she pointed us to it. They are not the actual city buses. As someone else said at the stop for Sapphire you have to walk down a hill from the top of the road. It was no big deal for us but I guess could be a problem if you have mobility issues. At the end of the day we took a cab back and that was 10 dollars per person so its a considerable savings but it takes a bit longer to find the bus and you have to go through some stops. We stopped at a strip mall as I recall and drove through some other stops first. What we saved paid for most of the cab ride back but it takes a bit longer cause you have to walk to and find the stop, wait for the bus and ride the bus and walk down the hill when you get there. Just depends on how much its worth to you.

Edited by rferr

Bajan: I am with Ms411. The whole $2 safari deal is extremely difficult to explain. If you are picked up at the dock, it will be by a regular, regulated taxi and you will be taken to your destination. The $2 safari cruises and stops on the road. It is not regulated and is difficult to distinguish from the regular taxis.

Bajan: I am with Ms411. The whole $2 safari deal is extremely difficult to explain. If you are picked up at the dock, it will be by a regular, regulated taxi and you will be taken to your destination. The $2 safari cruises and stops on the road. It is not regulated and is difficult to distinguish from the regular taxis.

Thanks O2B/Ms411.:)

Could either of you make it simple for me and tell me my best option to get downtown after we dock?

Thanks O2B/Ms411.:)

Could either of you make it simple for me and tell me my best option to get downtown after we dock?

The safari type shuttle buses (open-air trucks that hold approx 12 people) will be lined up as you exit the ship..Just say you "Want To Go Downtown".

Hop On (along with other cruisers going into town) pay your $4.00pp (one way) and they will drop you off in the parking lot behind the tent market shopping area.

When you want to return to the ship..either come back to this parking lot or Hop On one of the many shuttle buses that will be cruising down the main street shopping area calling out "Back To The Ship"...pay your $4.00pp again and they will take you (and whoever else has hopped on) back to the ship.

You'll see how easy this all is to do once you get there.

I was just there again last month...

Enjoy shopping in St Thomas..one of my favorite's :)

The safari type shuttle buses (open-air trucks that hold approx 12 people) will be lined up as you exit the ship..Just say you "Want To Go Downtown".

Hop On (along with other cruisers going into town) pay your $4.00pp (one way) and they will drop you off in the parking lot behind the tent market shopping area.

When you want to return to the ship..either come back to this parking lot or Hop On one of the many shuttle buses that will be cruising down the main street shopping area calling out "Back To The Ship"...pay your $4.00pp again and they will take you (and whoever else has hopped on) back to the ship.

You'll see how easy this all is to do once you get there.

I was just there again last month...

Enjoy shopping in St Thomas..one of my favorite's :)

Thanks Ashland that answers my questions/concerns. Sounds simple enough.[emoji106] Thanks[emoji3]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ashland that answers my questions/concerns. Sounds simple enough.[emoji106] Thanks[emoji3]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It is "simple" some make way to much out of and give too much confusing info on this subject...Enjoy :D

BTW: Remember to never pay the first asking price as you shop...bargain..bargain and prepare to walk away :)...

Edited by Ashland

• 2 weeks later...