Royal trying to attract more upscale cruisers?

NightOne

While I personally do not think the changes to Oasis that were announced today:

OUR BIGGEST SHIP GETS EVEN BETTER

will have any impact on 99% of the cruisers here on Cruise Critic it sure looks like RCI is attempting to attract more upscale cruisers.

For example:

1. A full time formal dining option

2. The new higher end shops

3. More suite perks/space/dedicated dining option

Only time will tell if these changes end up being wildly successful, fairly uneventful, or a huge failure.

However, I wonder what happens when that first time RCI cruiser comes to an area of a ship and they are told "Sorry, only XYZ people can come in here".

Do you see this as expanding/creating 1st, 2nd, 3rd class passengers or no?

Not so sure what you're asking, but don't think I care. When we go on RCCl we'll enjoy our cruise and not worry about what other's are doing or what perks they're getting.

will have any impact on 99% of the cruisers here on Cruise Critic it sure looks like RCI is attempting to attract more upscale cruisers.

For example:

Only time will tell if these changes end up being wildly successful, fairly uneventful, or a huge failure.

However, I wonder what happens when that first time RCI cruiser comes to an area of a ship and they are told "Sorry, only XYZ people can come in here".

I have been thinking in that direction also.

I'm not sure whether it is a move to attract more high end customers, or a move to retain the ones they already have. With currently few noticeable differences between what's available to a suite guest and what's available to a guest in an inside cabin, IMO, the risk of not doing what they did with Oasis is creating a slow leakage of their highest revenue guests to other lines that do acknowledge and distinguish the difference.

While there is certainly a portion of the cruising population that is looking for "exclusivity" in certain aspects of their cruise experience (special lounges, perks, etc.) and RCI has been offering such features for some time now, it is only one aspect of their marketing efforts. If they were only interested in attracting a more affluent clientele, why would they have added Dreamworks characters, flow-riders, bumper cars, carousels, and so many complimentary features designed to attract multi-generational groups and readily available to all passengers? Most of the places on the ship where access is limited are in discreet sections and not "in your face" access denied regions, so I doubt that there will be the dramatic, negative reaction to these features that you seem to predict.

Edited by negc

Not so sure what you're asking, but don't think I care. When we go on RCCl we'll enjoy our cruise and not worry about what other's are doing or what perks they're getting.

Outstanding post!!!

Sent from my D6503 using Forums mobile app

I see that they are mentioning a dedicated sun deck for suite passengers, i did not see it on the plans however.

Any idea where that would be?

Thanks.

There already was a sun deck for suite guests; so either upgraded furniture there, or they removed crew areas on the top of VCL to make it a suites sun deck.

Basically RCI is trying to woo people over from some of the other lines, but without fully embracing the "enclave" ship within a ship type setup of say NCL or MSC; something that dedicates a lot of what would otherwise be public space to a small handful of suite guests. Closing off VCL is a step in that direction though...

I see that they are mentioning a dedicated sun deck for suite passengers, i did not see it on the plans however.

Any idea where that would be?

Thanks.

Unless it's changed, it would be above the Solarium.

Shopping venues aside, I think this is more to compete with the NCL Haven Suites, which really debuted the ship within the ship concept among the mass market lines. They have matched all but the private courtyard, which is obviously difficult to create on existing ships without an extended dry dock.

NCL still has the edge though as (most) Haven suites are located around this exclusive area, which includes a bar, restaurant, concierge desk, and sun deck. For people looking for that type of experience and aren't quite ready for/can't afford the ultra exclusive/high end cruise lines Haven is great.

I'm glad those options are there when I want them, and again when I don't as they help keep non-suite cabin fares lower. If you cruise suites, this is just another perk to help keep you loyal.

For example:

For example:

Remember a lot of European's and South American's cruise and brands that are "upscale" to people living in the US are commonplace in Europe or other areas of the world. The Coach store probably started it all, and it seems to be successful. Higher end restaurants are also popular onboard.

For example:

The "formal" dining room is far from formal. Men are not even asked to wear a tie. The requirement for men is a coat or sweater (does a baseball jacket meet the requirement) and pants without holes or rips.:eek::eek:

The dedicated dining option, although it has a beautiful view, is far from posh or upscale as shown in photos released to day. (Hopefully they will put tableclothes on these Windjammer style table). On the Quantum the suite restaurant is off to the side of the Windjammer and on the Oasis it is just above it.

Edited by beachnative

For example:

Naturally the company wants to appeal to upscale customers with money to spend. By other actions, they also seen to want to appeal to families and active adults and retirees with money to spend.

Restricted areas already exist. There are lounges for suites and loyalty passengers. There are sun decks for "Gold Card Holders". There are reserved seating sections in theaters for suites and D+. Often these areas are marked by signs and card readers, so there may not be an employee standing there saying "sorry." If there was going to be a major backlash, I suspect it would have already happened. I think only a few people are going to interpret it as "expanding/creating 1st, 2nd, 3rd class passengers." If I order a hamburger, I won't accuse the restaurant as treating me as second class when somebody else pays for and gets a steak.

My most recent observation (two weeks ago) is that Royal is attempting to Carnivalize themselves.

Yes there are perks for Suites guests )and many protest as they longingly gaze at the suite folks (who spent 4 times as much as they did to be on the same ship)..but Royal continues to cut wait staff, increase the ambient temperature of the ship, cut back on food quality, etc...all to attract the Carnival customer ....while, in my humble opinion, dissing the loyal passengers who had become accustomed to "the Royal" treatment.

Only one of the three things on your list are actually exclusive to suite guests

Anyone from any stateroom category can choose to eat at here

I doubt they turn passengers away at the door if don't look like they can afford to buy something

Why shouldn't someone who paid 3000 per person have a little corner or two or three on the ship that it's available to everyone who paid 800 per person? Based on the new Oasis deck plans, I'm guessing barely 10% of the ship is "exclusive" to suite guests (if that) the other 90+% continues to be available to everyone.

I think it makes perfect sense to put a little effort into attracting new and maintaining existing suite guests.

Shopping venues aside, I think this is more to compete with the NCL Haven Suites, which really debuted the ship within the ship concept among the mass market lines. They have matched all but the private courtyard, which is obviously difficult to create on existing ships without an extended dry dock.

NCL still has the edge though as (most) Haven suites are located around this exclusive area, which includes a bar, restaurant, concierge desk, and sun deck. For people looking for that type of experience and aren't quite ready for/can't afford the ultra exclusive/high end cruise lines Haven is great.

I'm glad those options are there when I want them, and again when I don't as they help keep non-suite cabin fares lower. If you cruise suites, this is just another perk to help keep you loyal.

Between Dynamic Dining and the suites extra's being introduced, I think RCCL is looking at NCL as a major competitor in terms of innovation (or, at the very least, seeing where the market is heading.)

For example:

99% of the ship is open to everyone.

What's wrong with the 1% being available only to suite guests?

I'm not sure whether it is a move to attract more high end customers, or a move to retain the ones they already have. With currently few noticeable differences between what's available to a suite guest and what's available to a guest in an inside cabin, IMO, the risk of not doing what they did with Oasis is creating a slow leakage of their highest revenue guests to other lines that do acknowledge and distinguish the difference.

Totally agree. I don't choose to pay for a suite but if I did then I would expect a much better, and much more exclusive, product than the person paying for a balcony (which is what we book) or lower. Even a Pinnacle or D+ cruiser paying for a suite should expect to receive enhanced amenities as compared to their peers staying in a lower category stateroom. Every customer has the opportunity to pay for these exclusive perks and amenities if it is important to them. Like most things in life, it's a choice.

As with any business, I have no problem if RCL is attempting to attract big spenders. I applaud it a shareholder. As a cruiser, when I book, I know exactly what I will be entitled to. An example is US airplanes configurations, where there's 1st, business, extra leg seats and the common coach passengers. Every one on that plane knows exactly what they are getting.

Only one of the three things on your list are actually exclusive to suite guests

Right. I was not trying to imply they were. The example were things I felt would be more attractive to upscale purchasers. :)

I think it makes perfect sense to put a little effort into attracting new and maintaining existing suite guests.

And I would not disagree with that.

My post was meant to start a discussion about whether this creates or promotes a class system on a cruise (or not). Several people have already posted some very thoughtful replies that give us even more to think about.

Edited by NightOne

My most recent observation (two weeks ago) is that Royal is attempting to Carnivalize themselves.

Yes there are perks for Suites guests )and many protest as they longingly gaze at the suite folks (who spent 4 times as much as they did to be on the same ship)..but Royal continues to cut wait staff, increase the ambient temperature of the ship, cut back on food quality, etc...all to attract the Carnival customer ....while, in my humble opinion, dissing the loyal passengers who had become accustomed to "the Royal" treatment.

THIS!!!!

Our last cruise was nice, but we did notice a drop in quality of service and the food was acceptable...nothing more than I can get at any mid-range chain in the DFW area. Personally, I didn't notice the temperature but my wife did comment several times a day about it. Lastly, while they did not turn anyone away in the "higher end" shops I noticed in two of the shops a curious thing. On the first formal night we dressed early and were killing time looking in a couple of shops...the clerks just smiled and went about their business. The next day we walked back into them before eating lunch and heading to the pool (thus we were in swimwear...wife wore a coverup...and t-shirt). A clerk followed us like a puppy dog and kept asking if they could assist us every time we even touched something. I finally told one of them "There is no need to follow us and watch us like a hawk, we aren't going to rip you off."

While it was nice...I think we need to give RCI a break and plan on spending our vacation dollars elsewhere for a couple of years unless we hear of a fantastic deal on here. Maybe during that time they will get back to providing the experience we had in 2013. If I grade 2013 as a 10...2014 was maybe a 7.5 or 8.

For example:

Looking at the plans, the hardware for the DD venues are ready. Does that mean that not until March that the restaurants will act separately?

Also, what takes so long for Michael Kors to open?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Having experienced upscale service on other lines and enjoying the top suites Royal offers, I applaud anything the company does that continues to tie us to them.

Exclusive areas and services that are suite and top tier only that do not shove within the face of other passengers can only enhance revenue flow at the high end and help tie that type customer to Royal

A haven type area in the future would be excellent but short of that enjoyable level any addition is appreciated.

I encourage suite passengers to keep getting your voice and expectations to the corp folk. They listen to all input I believe. And if it helps that profit line you may just see it happen some day.

Looking at the plans, the hardware for the DD venues are ready. Does that mean that not until March that the restaurants will act separately?

One of the other threads earlier posted a pdf about this but I can't remember which. It seems you will sit in one of the three restaurants at your assigned time (or MTD) and will share the same menu as the other three restaurants until DD is live in March.

One of the other threads earlier posted a pdf about this but I can't remember which. It seems you will sit in one of the three restaurants at your assigned time (or MTD) and will share the same menu as the other three restaurants until DD is live in March.

Interesting. It seems like they are waiting until Quantum is out to see how DD really works before they complete the Opus transformation.

What really puzzles me is the Michael Kors, what takes so long for a new store?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk