Formal Nights - What can I get away with?

andnosyd

You can probably get away with almost anything you like. Just don't flaunt it--- you can probably get away with a collared shirt and any pants other than jeans. You might even get away with less, but the risk gets higher that you won't be allowed in the MDR. There is barely a dress code any more and what little remnant is left is barely enforced. The people on Cruise Critic are mostly the old guard who would like to see people dress up. If you don't feel like dressing up, don't worry. You'll have plenty of company and will fit right in.

In all the years I've hung around here, I've resisted the temptation to comment on "dress code" threads until now.

We've done a number of cruises on HAL and can probably count on one hand the number of folks who have shown up in the MDR inappropriately dressed. I'm sure we missed a few, but your statement that folks who blatantly ignore the "code" have "plenty of company" could not be further from reality. The vast majority of diners make at least a reasonable attempt to comply.

Most of us have no wish to stick out like a sore thumb, and frankly I'd feel foolish dining in such a nice atmosphere dressed like a clod.

So are slippers if you have a foot issue.

On our 49 day South American Cruise, I did develop foot problems, mostly swelling and blistering and could not fit into any shoes but beach flipflops. I did have with me a pair of penguin slippers, and decided to have fun with it instead of wearing the beach flipflops. My penguin slippers where a huge success, even the maitre'D thought they were cute............and I was comfortable. It was not like I tried to wear jeans and or a bathing suit each night. I was "put together" and only got a few strange looks. Let one walk in my shoes throw the first stone.:D

There are such things as "formal slippers." They're usually velvet. Not my thing really, but completely appropriate formal wear. Pair them with a smoking jacket and an Ascot and go all "Hugh Hefner." :cool:

Edited by POA1

All of our HAL cruises have been something other than, say, a 7 day Caribbean sailing. We are typically on for 10-14+ days, on more unique itineraries.

That said, our experience has been that most men are dressing for formal night in a coat and tie, or suit, or more rarely, a tuxedo. Women's attire seems to run the gamut, but most look nice. I have seen dressing outside of the suggested "cocktail dress and gown" reference in the code.

I have, on occasion, noticed both men and women who don't appear to be within the code. However, I have never noticed anyone turned away while I was at, or near, the entrance of the restaurant, nor have I noticed any disruption in the dinner ambiance by someone not dressing the code. I am primarily focused on my own dinner and enjoyment rather than what is going on around me. :)

In my experience, most people seem to try to respect the code, at least on the longer cruises I've been on.

Just about anything goes with the loosely enforced HAL dress code.

You can probably get away with almost anything you like.
It depends on the Dining Room Manager. On our Eurodam cruise last month we saw a man being given a loaner jacket, but he was not required to add a tie.

Edited by jtl513

The op doesn't mention the itinerary. Can make a big difference.

We did the 12 day Spain cruise last month and we saw no one without a jacket at dinner on formal nights..at least in traditional seatings. Really...I make it a point to watch out of curiosity.;)

That being said, on a Carib 7 dayer there are cruisers that tend to ignore dress guidelines.

The itinerary is a 15 day transatlantic. I didn't realize traditionally a dinner jacket is a tuxedo, I'm glad I know that now!

I'll take a sport coat as that sounds like it's the best option. Thank you for all the feedback.

I'll second that, Ruth.

I don't understand why some people are bent on diminishing the special MDR formal nights that others enjoy so much, when they can always have a casual dinner in the Lido on those nights.

igraf

...Thank you for caring enough to dress to code....QUOTE]

Almost as many as the self-obsessed who believes that requested dress codes do not apply to them?

There is a difference between the highlighted word, requested, and the word required.

Seriously, why doesn't everyone just chillax? Wear your formal clothes if you want, but just make sure it actually fits you and was last in fashion within the past 70 years.

Okay?

Almost as many as the self-obsessed who believes that requested dress codes do not apply to them?

Nice shot, but I wear a jacket and tie on the so-called formal nights, but what I wear is my choice, not yours.

rent a tux on the ship. Just bring your tie and cuff links and maybe shoes. And leave the ball cap in your cabin. Some people just want to dress like slobs to annoy those who care about appropriate dress. It's obvious you would prefer to bring your tux but just don't have the room. If you are a 4 star, roll it up in your carry on and they will press it when you get on board. Edited by SeaBands

[quote name='Viesczy']There is a difference between the highlighted word, requested, and the word required. [/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]It's the difference between "politespeak" and "government regulations". One adapts the proper language to the situation. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='tip']Nice shot, but I wear a jacket and tie on the so-called formal nights, but what I wear is my [B]choice[B], not [/B]yours.[/B][/QUOTE]

I never said it was my choice - rather I referred to the suggested dress code, which happens to be the choice of the cruise line. It is simply interesting that a number of people chose the line and then choose to ignore what the line suggests.

Do not flatter yourself: I could not care less about what you wear.

[quote name='navybankerteacher'] Do not flatter yourself: I could not care less about what you wear.[/QUOTE]

Thank you ever so much for the clarification. Likewise I do not care at all about what you wear!;)

[quote name='navybankerteacher']I never said it was my choice - rather I referred to the suggested dress code, which happens to be the choice of the cruise line. It is simply interesting that a number of people chose the line and then choose to ignore what the line suggests.

Do not flatter yourself: I could not care less about what you wear.[/QUOTE]

This may be your argument, but to you and Tip, and a few others, I did not want to eat in the Lido at formal night. I wanted to enjoy the MDR in my penguin slippers that added a bit of humor to my disabled feet. I also got away with a baseball cap a few years ago on a cruise when all my hair fell out from chemo. I choose not to wear a wig. I did not perposly "break a rule" either time. Denying me from the MDR in my case would have been discrimination. I believe the Maitre'D knows who to pick out of the line.