Bermuda Hurricane Thoughts and Prayers

antsnanny

Things have really deteriorated in the last 2 hours. Someone was operating the camera a while ago but it is stationary now.

And, the outer eyewall is still about 140km from the radar station, which is at the airport. Going to be a nasty afternoon and night.

Amazingly, the sun is now peaking through the clouds. We have decided to tender ashore and may just take a shorter taxi tour.

"At Your Service Taxi & Tours" has been VERY accommodating! They were extremely friendly when I called to cancel early this AM, and called me back to let us know about the change in forecast. When I returned their call to reschedule, the girl just told me to come whenever we wanted!

Can't believe how lucky we have been with weather and foliage this trip. Foliage was running late in Canada this year. Bar Harbor (as seen from the ship, now that fog/rain have lifted) has great color.

Most years, the cruise prior to ours would be expected to have better leaf-peeking, for those traveling from Oz and other places w/o this gift from Mother Nature. Even though we live in CT, we still enjoy seeing the colors in our travels.

Jane

The Dockyard where cruise ships dock web cam.

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

CaptDave

CAPTDAVE thanks for the link.

JANESTARR thanks for the update... So true about the wonderful friendly laidback attitude & kindness of Easterners hard to beat.

Weatherwise up until now these Fall Cruises have been very lucky. This has been a very unseasonably warm Autumn in Canada... Often the leaves are come & gone by October 1st in Quebec. With just the inland cities (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) having any leaf color by mid October / Thanksgiving (which is also now come & gone).

*Fingers crossed* that the run from Bar Harbor to Cape Liberty won't be too rough for you guys.

Take care.

--- --- ---

I just checked out the King's Wharf Port Cam... :eek: Yikes !!

Tuned into the Weather Network here (Canada's partner to the Weather Channel). They too are showing the Port Cam, better picture though. Just makes things look even worse. They are also reporting / tracking the Hurricane's (Cat 3) projected path north to Canada for this weekend. Right now they are saying it won't make landfall, but will bring UGLY weather to the region. And are particularly worried about the poor folks out at sea off the coast of Newfoundland on rigs in the Hibernia Oil Field

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernia_oil_field

Here is an interesting tidbit from the Weather Network...

Legend of the Seas left St John's Nfld on schedule and headed out to sea... Presumably towards Halifax, Nova Scotia (as per Itinerary she is due in there At 7:00 AM Sunday) so she certainly is going to be in for a rough ride in some of the worst weather. I would not be surprised if she alters the order of ports, and heads more north & inland to a more sheltered location from the stormfront.

Their Itinerary as originally set takes them right into the path of this mess... So let's hope that RCCL has other plans for these cruisers.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Sending all good thoughts and best wishes to the people in Bermuda......

Looking at the Webcam.......at the top it says they are being hit by

the Hurricane NOW........

Sending all good thoughts and best wishes to the people in Bermuda......

Looking at the Webcam.......at the top it says they are being hit by

the Hurricane NOW........

Indeed the National Hurricane Centre as of 6:00 PM EDT says the Northern Eyewall is beating the island with sustained winds at 115 mph

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Cheers!

It was very quiet a little while ago when they were in the eye of the storm…

Thanks for the update.

So I checked in again with the Weather Network...

They say that the Hurricane made landfall at 9:30 PM Bermuda Time (8:30 PM EDT)...

Winds currently at 175 kph with gusts over 200 kph

It has now moved off Bermuda (the eye) and has been downgraded to a Category 2

It will be tomorrow morning before we see any substantial accounts of damage etc

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

It's well past now. A direct Cat 3 hit.... :(

Waiting but 10 foot surge it's going to be bad

Just in...

The Bermuda governor, George Fergusson, tweeted that police have reported no deaths or serious injuries and that damage has been extensive but not catastrophic

Edited by A Sixth?

Pics of my buddies wrecked boat in St Martin. May take a bit more than a buffer and wax to fix this mess. :(

2yl3dyh.jpg

236168.jpg

Geez, that sure doesn't look good, does it.

Hopefully your buddy can recover from this (the loss etc)

Let him know that some of us love Sint Maarten / St Martin and only wish them all the best

Plan to do my bit... And get back there again, so we can do our best to help out the ecomony

(lol, not like going to the Caribbean has ever been a hardship for a Cdn Snowbird when it is -40 here in January ;) )

Cheers!