shops on Summit

MarkusToe

The shops on the ship are not known for low prices although they sometimes imply that they are. Island stores may or may not have good prices and some island stores have counterfeit goods when it comes to brand name items. Also, if you are not already aware, the ship's port and shopping listings and recommend stores are based purely on paid advertisements and should be treated as such and not as true "recommendations" or at least not in a passenger's best interest. For the most part all of the shopping guarantees on the ship and at island stores are worthless as they have fine print terms that are almost impossible to comply with.

Have fun shopping on the ship and at ports of call but beyond souvenir shopping be familiar with what you're shopping for as these are truly a "Buyer Beware" situation.

Edited by Lsimon

I agree wholeheartedly with Lsimon. Other than liquor, true bargains are few and far between on either the ship or at the port stops (at least in the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, and Alaska). If there is something in particular you are in the market for, then doing research ahead of time is critical. For example, you may find a '40% sale' on a nice watch, but it is off MSRP and you can likely find just as good if not a better deal at a Macy's sale, or over the internet. And if something goes wrong, you don't need to worry about trying to deal with a company thousands of miles away. Splurging just because? Up to the person of course - but no true bargain hunting in general.

The shops on the ship are not known for low prices although they sometimes imply that they are. Island stores may or may not have good prices and some island stores have counterfeit goods when it comes to brand name items. Also, if you are not already aware, the ship's port and shopping listings and recommend stores are based purely on paid advertisements and should be treated as such and not as true "recommendations" or at least not in a passenger's best interest. For the most part all of the shopping guarantees on the ship and at island stores are worthless as they have fine print terms that are almost impossible to comply with.

Have fun shopping on the ship and at ports of call but beyond souvenir shopping be familiar with what you're shopping for as these are truly a "Buyer Beware" situation.

Agree 100% with LSIMON

There is not a huge selection of shops on the ships (Summit included). As I recall from my cruise last year on The Summit... A Celebrity Shop - Convenience Store - Liquor Store - Jewellery / Watch Store - A Mens Store - and two Women's Stores.

Selection was nice... But pricey.

We mostly bought Celebrity Souvenirs :)

And we checked out the Blue Box Specials, $ 10 Sales, and End of Cruise Clearances. Did get a few nice items then

Ashore we found many stores are also overpriced (they just tell you they are not), lol

The closer to the ship dock... The more overpriced (they say the average cruiser walks less than 5 blocks. From the ship)

My best advice...

Know prices before you go... And be aware

Items you buy away, might not have a warranty that is supported back home

And, not everything may be as it seems

Especially when it comes to Brandnames... FAKE merchandise is rampant outside of North America (it is illegal to import Fakes,so if you buy one Customs could confiscate it). In my mind not worth the risk (sometimes a bargain is not a bargain... Especially if you end up going home with nothing)

Also there are cases of unscrupulous stores... Where they take advantage of your limited time ashore... Be it shoddy goods, or outright cons (switch goods). I would for example NEVER buy valuable jewellery ashore. I just won't do that... I don't want to go home with crap (CZs instead of Diamonds)

I only spend what I am willing to lose, or am happy if I discovered it was not what I expected.

As well, as mentioned "recommended" retailers on the ship are recommended BECAUSE they give the ship a kick back on whatever you spend (this is WHY there is always a promo going on that helps to identify you as a Customer... Ie the "free charm" in every port for example)

When I cruise, I bring home local items / souvenirs. Much better value and I have them to remind me of my trip. Simple things like... Tshirts - local handicrafts - Artistic items - and Liquor

No regrets

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Also agree with Lsimon but disagree with phoenix_dream. I have found that the liquor bargains aren't what they used to be. I've compared prices on my last couple of cruises, and would have saved at most about $5 on two bottles of gin. Not huge savings and not worth lugging back the extra package to my car.

I also love bags:). I don't have a huge selection of stores where I live and I have found more than 1 bag that I loved enough to buy on the ship lol. I am looking forward to the new shops when I board in just under 2 weeks!

All the "shop and compare" hints don't work for people outside the US. Never seen or been in a Macy's in my life lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

I also love bags:). I don't have a huge selection of stores where I live and I have found more than 1 bag that I loved enough to buy on the ship lol. I am looking forward to the new shops when I board in just under 2 weeks!

CHRISTINE FRANCES is most likely referring to CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES (Official Rep) and their recent announcement regarding New Shops on the S-Class Ships

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2099188

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

All the "shop and compare" hints don't work for people outside the US. Never seen or been in a Macy's in my life lol

I'm from Canada as well, and Macy's sales are great. I hear the outlets in Seattle are great, you should check them out!! :)

I'm from Canada as well, and Macy's sales are great. I hear the outlets in Seattle are great, you should check them out!! :)

Love Macy's (and they are ok with Canadians having Credit Card Accounts). We look for the Tanger & Premium Outlets when we are in the USA.

Cheers!

Just off Summit about 10 days ago and thought the handbag selection was terrible. Very limited, none that I would consider designer (e.g., Michael Kors). You'll have a much better selection off the ship.

Other than that, there were a couple of jewelry stores, a watch store (Tag Heuer, IIRC), an Apple store, sundry/Celebrity logo store, small selection of clothes (other than logo stuff), liquor/cigarettes, cosmetics/perfume (Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.) ... and that was about it. Unless you want to count art auctions!! :p

Shops on S class have a nice but small selection of M Kors....not sure about M class

Can get better selection at Dept stores at local malls at home or on line...but fun to browse & maybe buy

If you like Coach and stop in San Juan...the outlet there is excellent!

Hoping there are some nice items on Reflection...

Edited by hcat

Still have to pay in USD plus delivery, customs etc. I shop a lot online but only Canadian retailers with free delivery. When you buy from the US it all looks great until checkout and then they hit you big time with S & H, duty etc. pay for anything in USD right now would negate any savings. But when I am on the ship and have OBC........

Still have to pay in USD plus delivery, customs etc. I shop a lot online but only Canadian retailers with free delivery. When you buy from the US it all looks great until checkout and then they hit you big time with S & H, duty etc. pay for anything in USD right now would negate any savings. But when I am on the ship and have OBC........

Oh ya...

Huge difference between a Cross Border Shopping Trip and Online

Save my US Shopping for when I am actually in the US

So, I too mostly shop Cdn online

US retailers and you have so much to contend with... Exchange, Credit Card Fees (if you don't use a US Funds card), Shipping & Handling, Duties & Taxes

With the Cdn Dollar under 90 cents US that extra junk can really add up quick

Cheers!

Shops on S class have a nice but small selection of M Kors....not sure about M class

Can get better selection at Dept stores at local malls at home or on line...but fun to browse & maybe buy

If you like Coach and stop in San Juan...the outlet there is excellent!

Hoping there are some nice items on Reflection...

may I have advice about the outlet, please

Google found two: outlet on route 66 and premium outlet

I assume you can't make both within a day....

may I have advice about the outlet, please

Google found two: outlet on route 66 and premium outlet

I assume you can't make both within a day....

The Coach outlet that is discussed on this forum is going to be the one in the tourist area of Old San Juan. It's a block or so down from the Cathedral in the direction of the harbor. It is in an area with other tourist oriented stores and restaurants.

Edited by Lsimon

That's the one...there's also another handbag brand outlet nearby...forgot the name,.

Markus.. you can.google old san juan shopping for more stores...some also sell local art...also a flea market space near he ship..

we usually have time for a walk in the historic area, visit to one of the forts, shopping and lunch out...there's even a drugstore where you can stock up on needed items..

That's the one...there's also another handbag brand outlet nearby...forgot the name,.

Markus.. you can.google old san juan shopping for more stores...some also sell local art...also a flea market space near he ship..

we usually have time for a walk in the historic area, visit to one of the forts, shopping and lunch out...there's even a drugstore where you can stock up on needed items..

Agreed

Old San Jan is very compact, and you can cover a lot of territory (historic area has narrow cobblestone streets, was never really designed for cars... Meant for walking)

If you are coming in on a ship for a Day Visit (vs The Summit that starts & ends her Itineraries there) you will be at the Pier that is right in OSJ (vs The Summit which uses the PanAmerican Pier). For a day visit you literally walk off the ship into the heart of OSJ.

The Drugstore is literally right across the street from the Pier... They have everything you will need.

Cheers!