2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Because it can take 42 days.......simple

And when we get to 42 days will it become 84?

And even if I were to grant that a very small percentage of people might not become symptomatic until beyond 21 days that is for an individual. There were at least 4 people who lived in the apartment where Mr. Duncan stayed, and 85 people the CDC followed that came in contact with him after he displayed symptoms. The probability that all of those people would go beyond 21 days is practically incalculable. For that matter, the chances of all of them going beyond 10 or 12 days is tiny since the average seems to be 7 or 8 days.

Edited by old sole
added the second paragraph

Appears that everything is shaping up for an on time return and turn around tomorrow. We are on the trip out and just rec'd the following.

October 18, 2014

Hi there,

We wanted to provide you with some important information regarding your cruise aboard the Carnival Magic tomorrow.

As you may know, this week we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest, sailing on the Carnival Magic's current voyage, who works at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital where a patient was treated for Ebola. The CDC informed us that at no point in time was this individual in any direct contact with any infected patients and has never exhibited any symptoms. Rest assured, everyone on the current cruise is safe and there is no risk to any guests or crew.

Based on our current discussions with the CDC, the Carnival Magic will be arriving tomorrow in Galveston and will commence debarking guests as scheduled. Additionally, we have been in close contact with the CDC and other health authorities, and although they are not requiring any additional cleaning at this time, once all guests disembark, the vessel will be thoroughly sanitized.

Check-in for your cruise remains as scheduled from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. You'll notice we have implemented a standard, industry wide health screening questionnaire that will be given to you when you arrive. This will just take a few moments of your time and is not expected to delay your check in. Our departure time remains the same at 4:00 PM so please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

Great! Have a wonderful cruise.:D

Let us know if lots of passengers end up being no-shows.

And if the new Magic cruise wear looks like this.

breaking-bad-walt-s-hazmat-suit.jpg.2027ad841bca410df0a26814a0a3c69f.jpg

And when we get to 42 days will it become 84?

It won't matter. By then Americans will have totally forgotten about Ebola. I think the average American has an attention span of about 3 days then it's on to "What's up with Brad and Angolina?"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-travel-ban-unprecedented/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think if I were to start mass hysteria and paranoia it would be about Hep C, tuberculosis, HIV, influenza, and pneumonia. All spread by direct contact, can have longer incubation periods, and together they kill MILLIONS each and every year. I don't think airlines or cruise ships scan for any of them.

I fly October 30 and board the Dream on November 2nd.

HIV doesn't belong in the same sentence with the others. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get HIV doe to casual contact with another person. Breathing the same air, closed mouth kissing are no risk. Neither is being sneezed on by someone who is HIV +. Chances are you know someone who is HIV+, they either don't know it themselves or have chosen not to tell you. Unless you are having sexual relations with them, you are at no risk of catching HIV. If you need to give them first aid, wear gloves.

It's pure hysteria. On Facebook people are freaking out as well... 2 people out of 318 million does not a pandemic make. There is a difference between caution and hysteria... sadly many don't understand that. I have a bigger fear of the flu, e-coli, enterovirus, noro, etc. Those have killed FAR MORE people in this country than Ebola. Nobody even knows if this woman on the Magic had ANY contact with ANY specimen. She is now at the 21 day mark, and from what I understand, remains without symptoms... yet people are freaking out and cancelling cruises. Hysteria is the most contagious disease in the country at the moment :rolleyes:

I will take my chances against the flu, e-coli, Noro, etc any day over my chances with Ebola! I have survived all of the former. I can't say the same for my chances with the latter.......:(.

If I may catch up without reading pages of dialogue......Am I correct in stating that this ship does 7 day cruises, and the 2 pax in voluntary quarantine have been on the ship for 21 days.....3 cruises? So pax turnover, crew reassignment/vacations, entertainment replacements have been going on as usual with the ship returning to Texas each Sunday, or has she been floating around for 3 weeks with helicopter dropped pop tarts and spam? I wonder if the crew had to draw marbles and the one who drew the black marble had to remove towels, sheets, food trays? I bet the crew nor the pax even knew anything until late this week!:cool:

Seriously, I hope everyone is well and our gov't gets educated fast. This is not a funny topic, nor should it be ignored or taken lightly.

If I may catch up without reading pages of dialogue......Am I correct in stating that this ship does 7 day cruises, and the 2 pax in voluntary quarantine have been on the ship for 21 days.....3 cruises? So pax turnover, crew reassignment/vacations, entertainment replacements have been going on as usual with the ship returning to Texas each Sunday, or has she been floating around for 3 weeks with helicopter dropped pop tarts and spam? I wonder if the crew had to draw marbles and the one who drew the black marble had to remove towels, sheets, food trays? I bet the crew nor the pax even knew anything until late this week!:cool:

Seriously, I hope everyone is well and our gov't gets educated fast. This is not a funny topic, nor should it be ignored or taken lightly.

No, she has not been on ship for 21 days. She will hit 21 days on the incubation period tomorrow - she has only been on the ship since last Sunday.

Edited to add: all reports are that she is showing no symptoms.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

The other 200 people have been asked to "self monitor". They have been told that they should NOT use any public transportation, but to my knowledge have not been asked to quarantine themselves. So, I assume they are picking up their dry cleaning, buying groceries, sending their children to school and their spouse to work - maybe even driving 2 or 3 hours in their personal car and staying in a hotel somewhere for a few days. Heck, even Dr. Nancy Snyderman, the Chief Medical Correspondent for NBC News left her "voluntary quarantine" to go out for soup!!

Actually, they've been asked to sign agreements not to go out into any public place until their full 21 days are up. But this was long after the Magic sailed.

No, she has not been on ship for 21 days. She will hit 21 days on the incubation period tomorrow - she has only been on the ship since last Sunday.

Edited to add: all reports are that she is showing no symptoms.

Thank you.......60 Minutes probably will have a field day with this or her interview.

So looks like everything on the Magic will go on as scheduled. Letter to upcoming passengers was posted on their roll call from Carnival. Ship will be sanitized after passengers disembark tomorrow morning and sailing is scheduled to depart at 4p.

HIV doesn't belong in the same sentence with the others. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get HIV doe to casual contact with another person. Breathing the same air, closed mouth kissing are no risk. Neither is being sneezed on by someone who is HIV +. Chances are you know someone who is HIV+, they either don't know it themselves or have chosen not to tell you. Unless you are having sexual relations with them, you are at no risk of catching HIV. If you need to give them first aid, wear gloves.

I said direct contact. We are talking bodily fluids. The same as Ebola and the others mentioned. Whether it be saliva, blood, or other substances. The point is people that have these diseases may not know for a long time and can transmit them to others. Creating hysteria over any one disease while ignoring the fact that we come into contact with disease all the time is foolish. I am not going to dive under the nearest bed and hide while some people fan the flames of panic and contribute to the foolishness.

So basically she decided to board a ship on day 14 of a 21 day incubation / self-monitor period.

Because we all know the safest place to be during that period of 14 to 21 days, IN CASE symptoms arise, is on a ship with limited medical facilities calling in foreign ports. Selfish and stupid woman! So what if CDC hadn't banned travel at that time? Don't you think if you are directly involved with the first US death from Ebola and are told to self-monitor for 3 weeks that MAYBE getting on a cruise ship on week 2 is monumentally dumb? :rolleyes:

She paid her vacation money; TOES IN THE SAND, DRINK IN HAND, EBOLA BE DAMNED!

So basically she decided to board a ship on day 14 of a 21 day incubation / self-monitor period.

Because we all know the safest place to be during that period of 14 to 21 days, IN CASE symptoms arise, is on a ship with limited medical facilities calling in foreign ports. Selfish and stupid woman! So what if CDC hadn't banned travel at that time? Don't you think if you are directly involved with the first US death from Ebola and are told to self-monitor for 3 weeks that MAYBE getting on a cruise ship on week 2 is monumentally dumb? :rolleyes:

I think you are misinformed....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well just to pop in between all the bitterness on this. It looks to me like the person had no idea they should have not gone on a cruise. It looks like the hospital botched the whole thing and put no restrictions on the people who possibly came into contact. Once the people from the hospital came down with it then they said wooooo maybe we should do something and they did. Unfortunately this person was already out to sea. Seems like once they caught word or someone recognized the situation the person was very cooperative to go into confinement. I am failing to in anyway see what the person did wrong. The ports probably made a good call not allowing the people to come ashore (keep in mind they lost millions to there economy by not letting the ship dock). Also seems as if Carnival did the right thing. My main concern is them letting the passengers off the ship until they are 100% sure there is nothing to be concerned with. Nothing would be worse than if 3,000 passengers which have the smallest of % to be infected got off and went home through out the US. That would be devastating. I hope they take every precaution before letting all these people off. Yes I know it would suck for them to be sitting on the ship a couple of miles off the coast for a few days but well worth it should there be the slights of any chance. That would be a huge mistake. I think the blame has to go back to the hospital who originally botched the whole thing. Just my 2 cents and not going to argue with those on here who seem bitter. Overall seems like the situation has been dealt with well once it was discovered.

CDC messed up. Hospitals follow the CDC's lead.

I don't think I am. Call it as I see it.

Ok....but according to other posters on this thread who are due to board the Magic tomorrow they have received a letter from Carnival that states:

"The CDC informed us that at no point in time was this individual in any direct contact with any infected patients and has never exhibited any symptoms."

I'm not surprised. You can't catch Ebola just by sitting next to someone with it. While much of the rest of the world pretends they don't exist, they have to learn to make do, and that one mistake can be fatal, while others sit on the sidelines.

OTOH, those who survived likely now have some immunity.

That's not necessarily true. Even CDC officials agree it's possible, theoretically, to become infected from someone with active symptoms (especially full-blown ones) who sneezes and particles enter your eyes, nose, etc.

No.

She was a lab supervisor. No contact with patients. It is not confirmed that she even handled any of the vials taken from the Ebola patient and sent to her lab for testing.

She handles samples every day that may contain infectious agents. That's her job. Is she never to leave home? Same for any lab worker at that hospital or anywhere else. Many lab techs at CDC are testing blood sample for Ebola. Are they to cancel any travel plans they may have when another of those samples comes into their lab?

Incredibly judgmental to think that she was so callous as to go on a trip if she had any inkling that she even MIGHT have been exposed. I doubt she would. Doing so would be taking a big chance with her own life, not to mention those she would come in contact with. I have no idea who she is, but I am pretty confident that she wouldn't if she thought there was even a remote chance.

And no she was not told she should self monitor. A change in CDC rules took place AFTER SHE LEFT that put her in that category, which is why she self-reported to the ship's medical personnel and voluntarily quarantined herself.

Perception is a bit of a monster isn't it? As a medical professional, I can tell you that we get exposed to a whole lot of infectious disease and, no, we don't generally consider that we're a danger to society. And a lab person? No way! Exposure is absolutely minimal. I wouldn't have cancelled in her position. The odds that she's got it are very close to 0.

I think the lack of understanding about how disease is spread and media hype is causing people to lose their minds. People in a lab never ever touch the blood. Never. The CDC and the hospital screwed up bad with the nursing protocols, no doubt. But you gotta understand the infected nurses dealt with items like sheets that were drenched in infectious blood. They had to touch it. A lab person uses machines to get the blood out of the tube directly, or a pipette, and always with gloves on. It's very different than a direct exposure to a human spewing stuff out.

Perception is a bit of a monster isn't it? As a medical professional, I can tell you that we get exposed to a whole lot of infectious disease and, no, we don't generally consider that we're a danger to society. And a lab person? No way! Exposure is absolutely minimal. I wouldn't have cancelled in her position. The odds that she's got it are very close to 0.

I think the lack of understanding about how disease is spread and media hype is causing people to lose their minds. People in a lab never ever touch the blood. Never. The CDC and the hospital screwed up bad with the nursing protocols, no doubt. But you gotta understand the infected nurses dealt with items like sheets that were drenched in infectious blood. They had to touch it. A lab person uses machines to get the blood out of the tube directly, or a pipette, and always with gloves on. It's very different than a direct exposure to a human spewing stuff out.

Thank you for your explanation. It is logical and easy to understand. But was this person NEVER told to self-monitor for 21 days? Maybe that's my confusion; I was lead to believe she was told to self-monitor for 21 days and on day 14 got on a cruise ship.

Thank you for your explanation. It is logical and easy to understand. But was this person NEVER told to self-monitor for 21 days? Maybe that's my confusion; I was lead to believe she was told to self-monitor for 21 days and on day 14 got on a cruise ship.

I believe that the CDC recommended the self monitoring after she had already boarded the ship.

Which is why she reported herself - and agreed the the voluntary quarantine.

Edited by happy cruzin

I have no idea what she was told, I can't even speculate if CDC considered lab personnel to be at risk enough to monitor. Even if they did, you gotta remember, they weren't serious enough about it to tell the directly exposed nurse not to get on a plane, even when she called to ask. The thing is, universal precautions used in medical facilities usually work quite well. Nobody expects this to happen. Not even our experts, apparently.

I believe that the CDC recommended the self monitoring after she had already boarded the ship.

Which is why she reported herself - and agreed the the voluntary quarantine.

I have no idea what she was told, I can't even speculate if CDC considered lab personnel to be at risk enough to monitor. Even if they did, you gotta remember, they weren't serious enough about it to tell the directly exposed nurse not to get on a plane, even when she called to ask. The thing is, universal precautions used in medical facilities usually work quite well. Nobody expects this to happen. Not even our experts, apparently.

Tough to say when actually

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/t1012-ebola-reponse-update.html