Which whale watching tour of these 3 at ISP ?

uvasag

I've been researching excursions and looking at Whale watching excursions in Icy Strait Point. As per my research there are 3 main whale watching tour companies. Hoonah Travel Adventures, F.I.S.H.E.S and Glacier Winds. Prices seem to be around $160 for all 3 of them. Of the three which one would you recommend ? I know they all get glowing reviews but if I'd to pick which one should I go with ? Also, any cheaper options or coupons for whale watching excursion in ISP ? We are a family of 4. Thank you so much.

I'd throw a fourth into the mix - Misty Bay Lodge. Excellent tour w/Capt. Dan, a comfortable heated 6 passenger catamarin with covered outdoor viewing area and a crows nest that is also accessible in good weather. I've gone with them twice, and would highly recommend both their whale watching tour and their bear search.

We just went on this tour with Floyd of FISHES about a month ago. I HIGHLY recommend him. He went out of his way to make sure we found whales. He has a great, stable boat, which was very nice and comfortable. He also provided snacks and hot chocolate. We had a great time and would go back out with him again, if given the opportunity.

Edited by Hatteras51

I'd throw a fourth into the mix - Misty Bay Lodge. Excellent tour w/Capt. Dan, a comfortable heated 6 passenger catamarin with covered outdoor viewing area and a crows nest that is also accessible in good weather. I've gone with them twice, and would highly recommend both their whale watching tour and their bear search.

I Second going with Captain Dan and Misty bay lodge. All the above and homemade cookies, hot and cold drinks. Captain Dan keeps in touch with the other captains.

Also, the lodge has the best home made fish chowder afterwards.

Misty bay has one of the only boats with an overhang protecting you from rain.

Have fun.

We have booked with Misty Bay lodge, so am so glad to hear these great recommendations. Do they take you to the lodge for fish chowder as part of the tour, as I wasn't aware of this? I'm allergic to shellfish.... :rolleyes: so might have to pass on eating any...

We have booked with Misty Bay lodge, so am so glad to hear these great recommendations. Do they take you to the lodge for fish chowder as part of the tour, as I wasn't aware of this? I'm allergic to shellfish.... :rolleyes: so might have to pass on eating any...

Can you post a link to Misty Bay.

Thanks

Can you post a link to Misty Bay.

Thanks

http://www.mistybaylodge.com

They bring you back to the lodge - you can eat or have an Alaskan Brew or walk around , there is an active eagle nest around the corner. I think the fish chowder was made with Halibut (no shellfish)

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/search/label/ICY%20STRAIGHT%20POINT%20-%20HOONAH

Great time!

We have gone out with F.I.S.H.ES. and Glacier Wind numerous times and enjoyed our whale watching experience very much. We will be doing another back to back cruise in June of 2015 and have a whale watch tour reserved with each company.

http://www.mistybaylodge.com

They bring you back to the lodge - you can eat or have an Alaskan Brew or walk around , there is an active eagle nest around the corner. I think the fish chowder was made with Halibut (no shellfish)

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/search/label/ICY%20STRAIGHT%20POINT%20-%20HOONAH

Great time!

thinking of booking with Misty Lodge. we are 4 gals going on our Alaska adventure. I emailed them for current rates and availability for 2015. Although it sounds great to go back to their lodge, do they then also provide transport back to the:p cruise docks?

Yes, Misty Bay Lodge is actually just across the street from the dock where Hope will drop you off to meet Capt. Dan at the boat. So you can walk over to the lodge, or just ask Hope to take you right back to the port. There is also a nice, paved walking path along the water from the town of Hoonah, which is where the whale watch boats depart from back to the port of ISP. I'd estimate maybe a mile (could be wrong about that, someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)? Nice easy, flat walk with spectacular scenery the entire way.

When we were there this year, 3 of us went to the lodge afterwards for some lunch, while two asked to be taken directly back to the port. Capt. Dan's wife, Hope, is very accomodating - and a sweetheart to boot. BTW - the lodge is really just a small cafe with rental rooms above. Food was great - and yes, they have much more than just seafood if interested - soups, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, salads, homemade pie, cake, and ice cream, coffee, etc. One of my friends had halibut pizza, which she said was amazing, another had fish and chips, and I had homemade huckleberry ice cream - DE-licious! :D

Yes, Misty Bay Lodge is actually just across the street from the dock where Hope will drop you off to meet Capt. Dan at the boat. So you can walk over to the lodge, or just ask Hope to take you right back to the port. There is also a nice, paved walking path along the water from the town of Hoonah, which is where the whale watch boats depart from back to the port of ISP. I'd estimate maybe a mile (could be wrong about that, someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)? Nice easy, flat walk with spectacular scenery the entire way.

When we were there this year, 3 of us went to the lodge afterwards for some lunch, while two asked to be taken directly back to the port. Capt. Dan's wife, Hope, is very accomodating - and a sweetheart to boot. BTW - the lodge is really just a small cafe with rental rooms above. Food was great - and yes, they have much more than just seafood if interested - soups, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, salads, homemade pie, cake, and ice cream, coffee, etc. One of my friends had halibut pizza, which she said was amazing, another had fish and chips, and I had homemade huckleberry ice cream - DE-licious! :D

thanks. this helps me make the decision of which boat to book. sounds like a fantastic trip with lunch to boot!

I Second going with Captain Dan and Misty bay lodge. All the above and homemade cookies, hot and cold drinks. Captain Dan keeps in touch with the other captains.

Also, the lodge has the best home made fish chowder afterwards.

Misty bay has one of the only boats with an overhang protecting you from rain.

Have fun.

I've called Misty Bay lodge and also sent them an e-mail asking cost and availability for August 2015. I know it's only October, but I see on the boards these small private charters book quickly. has anyone else had difficulty scheduling a whale watching trip with these people? :confused:

I've called Misty Bay lodge and also sent them an e-mail asking cost and availability for August 2015. I know it's only October, but I see on the boards these small private charters book quickly. has anyone else had difficulty scheduling a whale watching trip with these people? :confused:

Hope will email and call you back. They take their vacation in warm weather after a busy season.

Have a great time.

Yes, the last post is correct - Hope and Dan travel down to Arizona to golf in the winter months w/their RV. But Hope does check her email often, and I'm certain, barring any complications, she will get back to you soon - atleast that has been my experience.

thanks I will practice patience:D

Hope got back to me a couple of days ago to confirm, and she's been great with replying to some questions I had.

I didn't realise the lodge was a cafe - I just thought the fish chowder was part of the experience :D We'll probably grab a bite there after our whale watch then.

I've contacted both Glacier Winds and Misty Bad Lodge this morning by email. I'll wait for their reply. The thing I like about Glacier Winds is that there is no cancellation charges if cancelled upto 3 weeks in advance. Everybody else seem to charge administrative fees which for 4 people can be too much. Anybody know how much Misty Bay charges for their Whale tours ? I couldn't find the information on their site.

Just wanted to say that I saw that Misty Bay Lodge has a BOGO coupon in this year's Toursaver Coupon Book. The book is $100 plus shipping.

Thank you for letting me know. Will have to check it out.

Update : Just checked it out. Definitely worth the $60 savings. Will have to call and cancel my booking with Glacier Wind Charters. Should I be honest and tell them why I'm canceling ? I feel bad canceling :(

Edited by uvasag

Thank you for letting me know. Will have to check it out.

Update : Just checked it out. Definitely worth the $60 savings. Will have to call and cancel my booking with Glacier Wind Charters. Should I be honest and tell them why I'm canceling ? I feel bad canceling :(

Deleted post.

Edited by Italy52