Quality of Coffee on Celebrity

RedHatCruiser

My husband HATES the coffee. He says he has to eat bread with lots of jelly on it to get the coffee down. (Is that an excuse for the sugar? Mmmmmmm.) I think it is okay. Neither of us are coffee elitest, tho' we do drink Gevalia at home. I think people either hate it or love/like it to the extreme.

I'd say compared to the other lines that we have tried Celebrity's coffee is good. It isn't Starbucks or anything but we like it. One thing that we have noticed is that it tends to be strong, especially the room service coffee. That isn't a negative unless you don't like strong coffee.

There were a couple of times I purchased the coffee or tea in the cova cafe. Usually because I wantedt to soak in the atmosphere rathern than the more expensive coffee. I thought the coffe served every where else was just fine.

However, I have gotten used to drinking dreadful coffee when I volunteer at the VA hospital. They make a huge pot at 6:00 in the morning, and I'll usually have a cup when I arrive at 9:00. By then it usually taste pretty bad and I have put two things of sweet-n-low in it just to get it down.

So I would say that my coffee evaluation skills may have been dulled down quite a bit.

If you are a Starbucks/Seattle's Best coffee drinker, then you'll be very disappointed in the coffee (I was on Infinity this past Dec.). Cova Cafe was good, but $$$ added up.....good thing the chocolate croissants were free....kinda balanced it all out! hahahaha

We are picky about our coffee. We take our own coffee and a french press. We order room service tea and use the hot water to make our own coffee. Sometimes we ask for just a pot of hot water and cream & sugar.

That's a hard question to answer given individual taste. I think I am somehat of a coffee snob. I order mine from Costa Rica (Cafe Britt) and I personally do not like Starbuck's at all so take that into consideration when you read this answer.

I think the coffee in the dining room and the room service brew to be quite good but i can't choke down the stuff on the buffett line. Our last waiter tried to tell us it was all the same but I disagree. So you may love the coffee or hate it but probably won't know until you're on board.

However, I have gotten used to drinking dreadful coffee when I volunteer at the VA hospital. They make a huge pot at 6:00 in the morning, and I'll usually have a cup when I arrive at 9:00. By then it usually taste pretty bad and I have put two things of sweet-n-low in it just to get it down.
Suzette,

You're givin' me flash backs. :D It must be a military thing.

I never drank coffee until I got overseas and ended up working 30 mid-shifts in a row (midnight to 7:30 plus 45 minute travel time each way).

The shift going off was required to have coffee ready for the shift coming on. Frequently you would draw a cup that had a nice foam on top........that never went away. And were not talking capuccino here.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane :D

Charlie

We are picky about our coffee. We take our own coffee and a french press. We order room service tea and use the hot water to make our own coffee. Sometimes we ask for just a pot of hot water and cream & sugar.

I am planning on bring my own coffee also (Daughter Manager At Starbucks gives us ILB coffee every week) I was thinking of what kind of coffee pot to bring or press, is your press glass or all metal?

Plumeria

picky coffee drinker

Thanks to all of you!:) My traveling companion and I do enjoy our morning coffee. It was so bad on another cruise line that the second cruise on them we brought a 4 cup coffee maker (in carry-on) and our own coffee! Think we will be just fine on Celebrity but will remember to bring large travel mug;)

Red Hat Cruiser

Sorry, but I think the coffee - room service especially - is disgusting. I can handle maybe 1 cup and that's about it. I am not a coffee snob by any stretch of the imagination and will drink most anything (coffee wise). But not this stuff.

Now the dining room coffee was OK, but not good enough that I would say it is good.

I like the idea of the coffee press. Just order couple of pots of hot water and viola, good coffee. Nice tip.

Just my 2 cents,

Duane

A lot depends on how you define "coffee" and how you generally prefer it. At home, I always make myself French Roast in a French Press. I use a packet of Splenda and put perhaps a fourth to a half teaspoon of half-and-half in it to cut the acidity slightly. If the coffee noticeably changes color, I've put too much cream in it.

Based upon my preferences, I think Celebrity's coffee and the coffee we had last month on RCCL's Brilliance is very good.

I can see, though, how people who prefer three tablespoons of sugar and three or four ounces of cream would think the ship's coffee was not very good. It's not necessarily that the coffee is bad, but that it just doesn't match your preferences.

There is also a school of thought which argues that flavored cappuccinos, lattes, and the various other Starbucks-popularized concoctions with cinnamon, chocolate, sprinkles, honey, peppermint, etc. are not really coffee, but mocha-flavored desserts. :D

Allen

bring a travel coffee mug with you or buy one when you get on the ship. The cups on the ship are about 6oz big if that and you will be up and down to the buffet area getting coffee.

Can't agree more! Our first souvenir purchase are the large coffee mugs which we carry with us! Coffee is generally decent and dh is majorly picky (strongly dislikes Princess) but the cups are a joke. About 25% of the ship will be carrying their own before the cruise is over.

Warning: Same goes for water glasses! Bring or purchase a water bottle from the gift shop or you will be running back continuously. Can't count it as good exercise since I usually manage to notice some goodie that I have missed before on the buffet!

To the original op: We will be on the Galaxy in 8 weeks for the TA and will write a review in early November which will definitely bring up coffee.

We have been on three Celebrity cruises in the past year. Infinity in Nov. 04, Horizon in Mar. 05, and Century in July 05.

On every ship, we found that the coffee served in the dining room is very good, and strong. If it's too strong for you, ask for some hot water (like they serve for tea) to water it down a bit.

The coffee served from the giant machines in the buffet is horrible! Tastes like they didn't rinse out the machine enough when they cleaned it. I don't need any extra chemicals to get going in the morning.

Also beware...if you order a regular cup of coffee in the Cova Cafe, they charge for it. Not sure how much $.

I do not intend to bring my Cuisinart 2-to-go coffeemaker on the Millenium because I know there is good coffee on Celebrity. They use Cafe Britt, which I order from the plantation in Costa Rica, wonderfully fresh coffee. I had it on the Century. The coffee was good on HAL, too. The Rhapsody had swill. I drank tea. I heard the Grand Princess had swill also so I brought the cuisinart. Had our coffee in the a.m. in the room then proceeded to the DR for breakfast. I mostly only drink it in the a.m. Did try the Princess coffee. I thought it was awful and was glad I brought the coffeemaker. It has insulated cups and a tight cover. Hope I don't eat my words. :<) -and hope the Rhapsody has improved the coffee. It tasted like they made it the day before and heated it up. :<{

Detail on what folks like aside, here are the facts, to the best of my knowledge.

For coffee with meals: Coffee in the dining room is brewed, the rest is from concentrate.

The espresso and related drinks at the Cova cafe are, of course, all fresh brewed and pretty conventional.

My tastes: I usually have at least one cappucino a day at Cova, my better half has iced coffee with meals, and we happily get cofee & croissants in the cabin - but then, for me any coffee I don't have to make is OK ;)

Archived