Deck Names - Royal Caribbean

bri1035

A recent cruise on the Majesty of the Seas (and Monarch of the Seas before that) has me wondering about deck names vs. deck numbers on Royal Caribbean. Signage throughout the ships referred to the decks by both name and number (e.g. Compass Deck - 12; Sun Deck - 11; Bridge Deck - 10; Commodore Deck - 9; etc.).

I haven't noticed deck names utilized on the newer RCI ships I've sailed on - only deck numbers. Even the current Majesty deck plans on the RCI website refer to the decks by number only.

Is the Majesty the last ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet to utilize deck names?

Someone on the Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor group argued with me when I said the Promenade deck (deck 4) on Freedom was a great place to go because its secluded and quiet out there. Even though that is not what Royal Caribbean calls it, that is what it would be called on ships that still name the decks. Right?

They insisted that the Promenade deck was deck 5. Obviously they were referring to the Royal Promenade.

I gave up trying to explain :o

Someone on the Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor group argued with me when I said the Promenade deck (deck 4) on Freedom was a great place to go because its secluded and quiet out there. Even though that is not what Royal Caribbean calls it, that is what it would be called on ships that still name the decks. Right?

They insisted that the Promenade deck was deck 5. Obviously they were referring to the Royal Promenade.

You are right, Deck 4 is the Promenade Deck on Freedom Class. Although I'm sure RCI would call deck 5 the promenade deck if they had to as to avoid confusion

Well, you are both kind of right. The typical "promenade deck" on a ship is the one you are thinking of, where you can walk around the outside of the ship on a deck looking over the water, like Deck 4 on the FOS. Some ships have what is called a "centerline promenade", which is an indoor walking area with rooms that have windows looking down over the area. That is what the Freedom has, so in essence both are "promenade decks", but they call the walking area on Deck 5 the Royal Promenade as you pointed out, which is no doubt why they insisted Deck 5 is the Promenade Deck.

I wish they would still have a "real" Promenade deck on the newer ships. I love being able to walk the whole way around the ship (under cover) without having to turn around at one end or the other. Or without having to climb a lot of steps to get to the heliport in order to get to the other side. :(

I guess I am old fashioned, but I like it better that way. I guess that is why I like the older ships. I like the numbered decks too, instead of names. But, the deck will always have a number to it. ;)

Gwen :)

I did a Coastal with friends a year ago and it had been 8 yrs since I had been on Princess, so when I went on board, I was thinking rooms would be ready by 1. The elevator attendant asked where I wanted to go & I had no idea.:D I also forgot the name of my Deck, prefer numbers. :)