Will you lie about being sick on cruise questionnaire? - Ebola

snorkelman

The cancel for any reason insurance for our cruise/airfare/hotel two nights was $400 and it only covers 75% of the cost. (Family of 4).

I think "exposed to ebola" is a too vague. Was the lab supervisor exposed? Were people in the apartment complex exposed?

IF I had any combo of the symptoms would I lie, probably. IF I was truly exposed to ebola, I'd evoke my insurance.

The cruiseline deserves it for not making provisions to refund peoples money. Too bad so sad if it costs them lots of money to cancel the cruise and come home early.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

They do make provisions, it is called travel insurance. I personally can not imagine cruising without it. I have be on several cruises and on almost every one of them someone has had to leave the ship due to an illness, accident or family emergency. Do you know what it costs to helicopter you off that ship, or grab a flight from a foreign country. Your insurance covers much more than the cost of the cruise.

I felt really queasy before our Disney cruise out of NYC, however, it was early September and very very warm outside and the terminal had no air conditioning turned on, it was beyond hot and humid in there and I know it was the heat making me feel this way. I had no other symptoms at all, no fever, nothing else and I was feeling fine when I walked in there, until I had to stand for 45 min in that heat and humidity. If I would have said yes to feeling nauseated on the questionaire there was a chance I wouldnt have been allowed on the ship. Right as we were called to board we noticed that the a/c kicked on lol, nice. Upon boarding I sat in the a/c of the lido dining room and started to feel better, once our cabin was ready I was able to shower and lay down for 30 min and felt fine. If I was nauseated, had a fever AND was bleeding from the eyes then yes I would of course not be at the terminal waiting to board a ship.

I never had to fill out any kind of health form on our February cruise :confused:

But no, I would not lie...I don't see any reason why I would have to. If I'm sick, I'm sick...plus, our cruise is a year away so I hope all this Ebola stuff has been dealt with by then. My only concern is the question about fever and sore throat...that happens to me often, my doctor said it isn't a huge issue, but I don't know how Carnival would feel about that.

They do make provisions, it is called travel insurance. I personally can not imagine cruising without it. I have be on several cruises and on almost every one of them someone has had to leave the ship due to an illness, accident or family emergency. Do you know what it costs to helicopter you off that ship, or grab a flight from a foreign country. Your insurance covers much more than the cost of the cruise.

How would travel insurance help? I'm not aware of any travel insurance that will pay if you elect to forgo a cruise because you have a little fever or just don't feel well. If you know of such insurance please tell us the company name.

Leaving mid cruise due to a medical emergency is not the same as just not boarding because you're a little ill.

Edited by travler27

How would travel insurance help? I'm not aware of any travel insurance that will pay if you elect to forgo a cruise because you have a little fever or just don't feel well. If you know of such insurance please tell us the company name.

Leaving mid cruise due to a medical emergency is not the same as just not boarding because you're a little ill.

A little ill can turn into a lot ill very quickly. If the Dr. will substantiate that they feel you are too ill to cruise, or are contagious in any manner, travel insurance will cover your cancellation. I cried for 2 days over missing my cruise (recovering from noro) but I got over it. If I knew or suspected that I had something that might endanger anyone - and you never know who has a compromised immune system, etc., I would never be able to forgive myself. But that's just me!

wrong. cdc website:

You do not need ALL of the symptoms. Maybe you only have a couple at first, and later on more develop.

I'm not sure what CDC website you're using but here is the one I'm using;

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth) with

• blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
  • objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
  • infected animals
  • Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys, and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html?s_cid=cs_3923

There are a couple of researchers at U of Minnesotsa (I think) who advocate healthcare workers use respirators because they are caring for violently symptomatic patients, but even they acknowledge that the risk to the general public is practically non-existent because no member of the public will come into contact with an Ebola patient who is that seriously ill.

It is virtually impossible to "unwittingly" contract Ebola.

You don't get it from being in the same room with someone.

You don't get it from being sneezed or coughed on.

Without exception, we know the disease vector for every single person who has had Ebola outside West Africa.

If I woke up tomorrow with headache, fever, diarrhea and vomiting, I'd assume I ate something bad and had a touch of food poisoning despite the fact that I live in Atlanta and work only 8-10 miles from the Ebola patient being treated a Emory/CDC.

Not one hundred percent correct. The Ebola virus can live on a surface for days in fluid. So let's just say someone with the Ebola virus sneezes on the spray hits a surface. Now you touch that surface and then touch your nose or eye or mouth. You can transmit that way. Early signs are simply an elevated temperature and mild flu like symptoms which at this time of year might be easily mistaken.

Hoping you will be posting your next cruise information - no offense, but I really don't want to cruise with you.

Then you probably shouldn't cruise as I suspect at least 75% of folks would lie about having a simple symptoms (fever, etc) prior to boarding. Very few folks will risk losing their vacation and cruise fare of a little fever or other insignificant symptoms. Especially since that would likely not be covered by trip insurance.

I doubt anybody with a confirmed case of Ebola would lie or go on a cruise.

A little ill can turn into a lot ill very quickly. If the Dr. will substantiate that they feel you are too ill to cruise, or are contagious in any manner, travel insurance will cover your cancellation. I cried for 2 days over missing my cruise (recovering from noro) but I got over it. If I knew or suspected that I had something that might endanger anyone - and you never know who has a compromised immune system, etc., I would never be able to forgive myself. But that's just me!

And you got that diagnosis from your doctor while standing in the boarding line and filling out a little form?

Remember, we're talking about a medical form here while checking in. Not about getting ill a week or two before you depart.

Edited by travler27

Then you probably shouldn't cruise as I suspect at least 75% of folks would lie about having a simple symptoms (fever, etc) prior to boarding. Very few folks will risk losing their vacation and cruise fare of a little fever or other insignificant symptoms. Especially since that would likely not be covered by trip insurance.

I doubt anybody with a confirmed case of Ebola would lie or go on a cruise.

And you are obviously correct since there have been several instances where folks have brought noro virus on board and infected a large number of other cruisers and have created the necessity of disinfecting entire ships! ;)

Mine did. I had a cold - barely any increased temp but I just didn't feel great and didn't want to be sick on a cruise (in addition to taking care of my toddler). So we flew home, I went to my doctor, he wrote a statement - and - voila - I received 100% of my cruise fare and covered expenses back. But that way my insurance policy - other policies will vary.

And you got that diagnosis from your doctor while standing in the boarding line and filling out a little form?

Remember, we're talking about a medical form here while checking in. Not about getting ill a week or two before you depart.

I got sick the morning of the cruise after I flew into Orlando. It was a cold, sore throat, etc. Not much, if any, fever. Reimbursed 100% from insurance.

Keep in mind that the nurses that contracted the illness from the Nigerian patient had been the ones working very, very closely to contain his vomit, diarrhea, etc. The nurses' log books showed that Pham's name was entered several times a day! It's no wonder that someone working that closely and frequently with someone dying from Ebola without being in one of the known hospitals equipped to handle it properly, would be infected. The hysteria about "catching" this like one would catch a cold or the flu is so blown out of proportion!

Keep in mind that the nurses that contracted the illness from the Nigerian patient had been the ones working very, very closely to contain his vomit, diarrhea, etc. The nurses' log books showed that Pham's name was entered several times a day! It's no wonder that someone working that closely and frequently with someone dying from Ebola without being in one of the known hospitals equipped to handle it properly, would be infected. The hysteria about "catching" this like one would catch a cold or the flu is so blown out of proportion!

I agree there is no necessity for panic; however, some caution is not out of the question. And while it is not as easy to catch as a cold, it is not as hard as some would like you to believe. Again, it can live on a surface in fluid for days. Meaning touching sputum from a cough or a sneeze and then touching your own eyes, nose, mouth or open wound could potentially transmit.

I just received this Health Advisory from Princess via e-mail regarding our upcoming cruise:

HEALTH SCREENING ADVISORY In light of recent national news regarding the Ebola virus, we wish to advise you that we have adoptednew boarding procedures and screenings following collaborationwith the international health authorities. We are screening for any guests or crewwho have visitedor traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea) or had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of a cruise departure date. These individuals will be deniedboarding. We are also monitoring bookings for any guests comingfrom these countries. Princess Cruises has in place robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health guidance. We are monitoring the situationclosely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at http://www.who.int or the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/. Should you have any questions about these travel requirements, please call 1-800-774-6237 to speak with a Princess Guest Relations agent.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

I just received this Health Advisory in an e-mail from Princess Cruiseline regarding health screenings in relation to our upcoming cruise (sailing on November 10th). It would seem that cruiselines are trying to address the seriousness of this situation. I imagine if you lie and board fraudulently you would be setting yourself up to be sued by anyone on the ship who felt your flagrant disregard of the ship's health policy put their life and the life of others on the ship at risk. Here is the notification:

"HEALTH SCREENING ADVISORY In light of recent national news regarding the Ebola virus, we wish to advise you that we have adoptednew boarding procedures and screenings following collaborationwith the international health authorities. We are screening for any guests or crewwho have visitedor traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea) or had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of a cruise departure date. These individuals will be deniedboarding. We are also monitoring bookings for any guests comingfrom these countries. Princess Cruises has in place robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health guidance. We are monitoring the situationclosely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at http://www.who.int or the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/. Should you have any questions about these travel requirements, please call 1-800-774-6237 to speak with a Princess Guest Relations agent.

Thank you for your attention to this notification."

I found a poll asking the same thing about norovirus. Most said they would lie.

And bless something changes about not offering a refund not to sail, I don't expect the results to be any different.

Let's hope this is behind us, but I fear we will end up getting it through our southern border, until something changes.

I'm not going to let fear of the illness keep me from traveling and enjoying life. As a physician I view any surface as potentially contaminated with bodily fluids so I practice universal precautions everywhere I go. So regardless of whether you believe there might be ebola or any other virus on a surface you should wash your hands frequently and use the hand sanitizer provided as well as using the tissues provided at restroom doorways to open doors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I don't know about the most recent form but in the past, I think these forms are too vague.

If I'm remembering it correctly it may ask if you have had vomiting. Well someone may have vomited but they may know the reason why...maybe sour food, drank too much, new prescription, etc. If I had one of the issues but could pinpoint the source I would lie because I'm not confidant my explanation would be acceptable.

They should ask if any of the symptoms are from a suspected source. I don't think anyone has gotten ebola without knowing they were in contact with an infected person.

I'm not going to let fear of the illness keep me from traveling and enjoying life. As a physician I view any surface as potentially contaminated with bodily fluids so I practice universal precautions everywhere I go. So regardless of whether you believe there might be ebola or any other virus on a surface you should wash your hands frequently and use the hand sanitizer provided as well as using the tissues provided at restroom doorways to open doors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Great advice, except i would never use a hand sanitizer that would compromise my bodies auto immune system killing bacteria it uses to contain the bad germs.

I think it's interesting that people keep citing the current number of fatalities and infections of this disease when defending their "stay calm" stance (as well as the low risk of airborne transmission).

Yesterday I read the CDC believes the number of infected could reach one million by January. The vaccine(s) will start trials in January, anyone want to try it first? It's a voluntary research program and will be offered in many different areas, but especially in Africa. The current argument is over whether or not to include a placebo vaccine with such a deadly disease.

While I do agree there is no reason to panic, I do think a very high degree of vigilance is warranted globally. No one can deny our medical system is straining with our aged population and we are in a severe doctor and nurse shortage. It wouldn't take long to overwhelm the country's medical resources with even a small outbreak considering there are only four hospitals prepared to take these patients at this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app