Coffee question

BarbaraP

Is the coffee served in Sabatini's, Crown grill and the MDR the same syrup coffee used in the HC? If so, is the only place you can get fresh brewed coffee at the IC and bars that serve coffee?

I think the ship makes the difference, though in the MDR it's still the same sludge on every ship.

We were on the Coral in March and had breakfast in Sabatini's every morning. The coffee was ok; not wonderful, but OK. I still used my Via.

I think the ship makes the difference, though in the MDR it's still the same sludge on every ship.

We were on the Coral in March and had breakfast in Sabatini's every morning. The coffee was ok; not wonderful, but OK. I still used my Via.

Thanks Pia, I guess I'll be packing the Via next week;)

I find the "regular" coffee on the ship to be anywhere from quite good to horrid. I've had pretty darn good coffee at lunch in MDR and the, when I got a second cup, it was the worst coffee I've had in a very long time. It must have been a different batch.

The coffee seems to be like a lot of things with Princess. The only consistent thing is inconsistency.

I drink the ship coffee. I buy my wife a coffee card.

I was on the Star in June and had breakfast in Sabatini's every morning. One day, after enjoying a wonderful cappuchino, I asked for just plain coffee. YUCK. And I'm not a coffee snob. Not sure what the problem was but didn't have plain coffee again after that.

Jackie

Hello, we find that most cruise coffee is absolutely terrible, (we are from Seattle), found that by taking our french press with our favorite grind and use the buffet hot water dispensers, the problem was resolved. Just dump grinds in trash, am seeing many more people asking where they can get a french press while they see me with my big happy face having my favorite brew. Some say don't pack a glass french press in luggage, and only use plastic french presses in luggage, but have been bringing my glass press for the last couple cruises, no issues. Three minutes of hot water steaping and your good. Enjoy.

Mark

If you care about good, or even decent, coffee, you should either bring something from home or plan on buying a coffee card. On our recent Golden Princess cruises, I found:

* The basic coffee from the HC and MDR ranged from dreadful to OK. It is instant coffee, plain and simple, so unless you like instant coffee, you probably won't find it acceptable. I found it OK to take a few sips with breakfast or with desert in the MDR, but no good for anything beyond that. Early in the morning, I get up and have a cup of good coffee while reading for an hour or two. I don't want sludge for that.

* The brewed coffee available at the International Café (and nowhere else, as far as I know) was also uneven. Obviously, fresh is always better than something that's been sitting on a burner for a half hour.

* The specialty coffees were often quite good, but they were also inconsistent. My wife got some that just didn't seem to have been stirred. She'd get to the bottom and find a bunch of undisolved chocolate at the bottom.

In all, I think the coffee card is a good deal. On our cruise, it was only $29, and you get 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed (better than instant) coffees.

Jim

If you care about good, or even decent, coffee, you should either bring something from home or plan on buying a coffee card. On our recent Golden Princess cruises, I found:

In all, I think the coffee card is a good deal. On our cruise, it was only $29, and you get 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed (better than instant) coffees.

Jim

Can the 15 specialty coffees be used by more then one person ?

Is the coffee card actually assigned to a particular person ?

Can the 15 specialty coffees be used by more then one person ?

Is the coffee card actually assigned to a particular person ?

Yes, anyone can use a punch, so you can share with your friends or enemies or even treat random strangers. Your name isn't put on the card. So be careful not to lose it . . .

I find the "regular" coffee on the ship to be anywhere from quite good to horrid. I've had pretty darn good coffee at lunch in MDR and the, when I got a second cup, it was the worst coffee I've had in a very long time. It must have been a different batch. The coffee seems to be like a lot of things with Princess. The only consistent thing is inconsistency...

I have had much the same experience. I found the coffee in the HC on the Golden recently to be uniformly bad, the MDR coffee to vary and the IC coffee to be excellent.

I don't recall having tried room service coffee on Princess, though, so can't speak to that.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

No Americano?

That would seem to be a good solution for Crown Grill / Sabatini's.

No Americano?

That would seem to be a good solution for Crown Grill / Sabatini's.

Would you believe I forgot?. :o Yes, I did order Americano and then the waiter always brought me a second one. I was supercharged all day! :D I used my Via when in HC.

Edited by Pia1913

Regarding the coffee card - if you don't get all 15 coffees on one cruise, can you save the card for a future cruise?

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee.

You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

The “unlimited” brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee.

Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees

Regarding the coffee card - if you don't get all 15 coffees on one cruise, can you save the card for a future cruise?

Yes, you can save the card and use the unused punches on another cruise. The complimentary brewed coffee, however, is good only for the cruise on which the card was bought.

Jim

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

Just one little addition: The large version of many of these coffees is $3.75. That's what makes the card worth buying. You can get a coffee that would go for nearly $4 with a punch that cost you about $2.

Jim

I'll bite, what's Americano?

Americano is espresso and hot water. For a good cup, ask for a double shot in a latte glass. You will appreciate it if you drink your coffee black. If you add moo, you're wasting your money.

Edited by Pia1913