Why is the city are area you are from not in your signature?

Hflors

I so want to meet your Mom. She sounds like my kind of lady. :)

Now you........ you heartbreaker!!!! :D :D You probably wrecked that girl for life, never married and is still pining away for you. ;) :eek:

There are days my DW would be happy to let her have me . *LOL*

I see some of the posters on here (and even some that have a lot of posts) and there isn't any city or area of the country etc listed below the # of posts you have made. Is there a reason why you don't want anyone to know where you live?

I don't mean this to be a rude thread I am just curious as to why some people do not list their town, city or at least the area of the country they are from.

For me I just love to look at what people post and look at the top right and say "how interesting that people from different areas think or feel differently from what I think or feel" about different things. Somehow when I don't see the town, city or area of the country its like the person isn't real but maybe some computer gernerated response.....

Thanks for letting me know why.

Helen

Thank you Helen for asking this question.

The title of it really got my attention, so much so that I had to look up my Signature and discovered I did not have Albuquerque listed as my Home. That has now been corrected:)

Joanie

I don't post a lot of personal information and I try not to use the same screen name on more than one site. Because black helicopters. ;)

What I cannot understand is the amount of personal information people will post on Facebook - some posts giving almost precise information about where they live, and other posts giving precise vacation information: essentially advertising when their homes will be empty.

I don't get that either. Apart from the fact that I really don't CARE what someone listened to on Spotify, or from what location they logged in on their phone (and I do NOT want to see photos of their food!), it's just stupid to post really personal stuff online where anyone can see it. Like the people who have the names and ages and photos of their young children on their FB page, and it's set to public.

Yeah, I realize that hackers can get into pretty much anything, but why help them out? If you put something...ANYTHING...online you shouldn't be surprised if/when that information gets out, even if it was on a "private" site.

I guess we are all different but I usually sign myself as "Paul in Melbourne" when posting on Australian groups. Melbourne is a city of more than four million and I guess there are quite a few people named Paul. I find "Paul in Australia" is sufficient for international groups like Cruise Critic. I consider myself an average person and can't imagine too many people being interested in my personal business. What I find intrusive are emails addressed to "Dearest One" (nobody I know would address my like that) or calls from international telemarketers (who don't speak English that's easily understood) and delight in calling at meal time.

I had been thinking I should delete the town from my profile, so I just did that. Yes, all, it is really a shame we have to be so conscious of privacy issues. Mary Jane

I have done the same, but I really didn't feel I had to, just that some posters here have now made me a little paranoid, so I just reverted to "NC" in my profile.

I don't list my city of residence as I do not feel that it adds anything to the discussion. I actually think that many times residency may actually deter from a discussion as it leads some posters to attribute stereotypes and assumptions to a particular poster.

I see this poster's point. Sometimes people assume certain things about a poster according to where he/she is from. Assumptions and stereotypes may affect how seriously a poster's opinion is viewed....depending on where that poster is living. I could name some specific examples, but I am afraid it would start a heated discussion about opinions/stereotypes of folks from different parts of this country or different parts of this world, and I don't want to do that. This was a good comment though, IMHO....

I don't see any problem with saying which country you are in.

Sometimes posters ask questions about travel to Europe and it would be so much easier if we could see whether they are American, Canadian, Australian, European etc.

Surely nobody could trace you by saying you are in the USA :confused:

Why does it make a blind bit of difference where they are when they give you an answer. I've seen posts on these boards about my local area, from people overseas, that display a greater knowledge on some issues than I have and I've lived here all my life.

Why does it make a blind bit of difference where they are when they give you an answer. I've seen posts on these boards about my local area, from people overseas, that display a greater knowledge on some issues than I have and I've lived here all my life.

Because there are different rules for different countries. For example, canadians and Americans can cancel a cruise and get the money back before final. I don't think that rule applies elsewhere. If you don't want to display it then don't. There is no reason to get bent if someone has a differing opinion.

Because there are different rules for different countries. For example, canadians and Americans can cancel a cruise and get the money back before final. I don't think that rule applies elsewhere. If you don't want to display it then don't. There is no reason to get bent if someone has a differing opinion.

\

\

Who's bent?

My question was why isn't my advice just as valid no matter where in the world I happen to live. My advice can be total rubbish about something close to me and great about somewhere distant.

I join Linda in expressing my horror at what occurred today in Ottawa. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We enjoy a quality of life,safety and freedom that we will no longer take for granted and that saddens me.

My question was why isn't my advice just as valid no matter where in the world I happen to live.

Your answer may vary not based on where you live, but on where the person asking the question lives. As noted, a question about refunds of deposits when a cruise is canceled can have a different answer depending on where the questioner lives. Americans & Canadians would get a different answer than Europeans, for example.

If we know where the questioner lives, we are better able to answer it.

Edited by RuthC

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We enjoy a quality of life,safety and freedom that we will no longer take for granted and that saddens me.

How true! I went to the mall today, and I must say I checked around for good hiding places. Not something we had thought about in Canada before.

Because we live close to Vancouver I always look to see where the advice comes from on how to get around here for people who are going to Alaska. There is a guy from Texas who knows much more than I do. And someone from Arizona can tell you what bus to take to get to Grouse Mountain. Makes me laugh every time.

When someone posts a comment about an activity involving cruising/ air/etc. near where they live, without mentioning the area, it is quite annoying to look at their CC top info and not even see a state or country.How does that help the reader? I look to the top right quite a bit and see nothing. :confused:

When someone posts a comment about an activity involving cruising/ air/etc. near where they live, without mentioning the area, it is quite annoying to look at their CC top info and not even see a state or country.How does that help the reader? I look to the top right quite a bit and see nothing. :confused:

So if you don't live there you know nothing?:confused:

As I said earlier I've lived in this area all my life and I often see comments from people overseas that I didn't know about.

Your answer may vary not based on where you live, but on where the person asking the question lives. As noted, a question about refunds of deposits when a cruise is canceled can have a different answer depending on where the questioner lives. Americans & Canadians would get a different answer than Europeans, for example.

If we know where the questioner lives, we are better able to answer it.

agree with RuthC on this. It's only to be helpful.

A person doesn't have to post there city, province, state, area. Even the country works. I have my province posted. My town is too small and there are already enough people who know who I am;)

So if you don't live there you know nothing?:confused:.

Not at all. Ruth gave one example and another comes to mind:

When questions are asked about how far in advance a person should fly in for a cruise, it helps to know whether they are coming from an area prone to snowstorms or if they are likely to have number of connections.

I have only given one example that came to mind immediately but there are other instances that just make it easier to answer a question if we can see the general area where the poster is located. It has nothing to do with the reason you suggested.

Edited by sapper1

As Ruth has mentioned, there are questions where the answer will depend upon the location. When I see one of those, the first thing I do is look to see if they have their state/country listed. If they don't - I'll admit to moving on and not answering.