need key to multiple cabins

cblzaccie

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Why do you need to get into all five cabins? If I go with a group, I don't want the group leader going through my cabin.

Last time we had issues with 1/2 the group being passed out and not being able to wake them by banging on the door, think younger college crowd. Hated to have to keep hunting down our cabin steward to open a door so I could wake someone passed out so they wouldn't miss a tour or an event.

Edited by cblzaccie

When I needed keys to the daughters staterooms each time I had to have them with me. One of the rooms was an adult daughter so I understand Carnival wanting her there.(she & SIL have children that I babysat) But the other room was a 16 and 19 year old. I need "their permission" to enter a stateroom that I paid for. Oh well the point of all this is you will need to have some of your traveling companions accompany you to guest services.

oh its not like im trying to get keys against their will, trust me they want me to have a key., im mearly asking the easyest way to do it

I'm sure there is way to get one card access to multiple cabins.

How else would the stewards/housekeeping staff get access to multiple cabins?

Whether they would do it for a guest or not is the question though.

You would definitely need to have the registered occupant of the cabin with you at the GS desk to approve such a thing.

Guest Services is not going to be able to make a master key capable of opening multiple rooms, the lock systems don't work that way. You will need to get a key for each.

In a hotel, the easiest thing would be to have each person simply ask for a second key them self and then they hand it to you. Even if you are a group leader, we would not give you keys to everyone else room (unless they were minors and were the chaperon).

Also, andy.captain is correct that if they throw the deadbolt, you are not getting in, key or no. In my experience though, people about to "pass out" when they hit the room rarely throw the deadbolt. Sometimes the door isn't even shut all the way.

Guest Services is not going to be able to make a master key capable of opening multiple rooms, the lock systems don't work that way. You will need to get a key for each.

In a hotel, the easiest thing would be to have each person simply ask for a second key them self and then they hand it to you. Even if you are a group leader, we would not give you keys to everyone else room (unless they were minors and were the chaperon).

Also, andy.captain is correct that if they throw the deadbolt, you are not getting in, key or no. In my experience though, people about to "pass out" when they hit the room rarely throw the deadbolt. Sometimes the door isn't even shut all the way.

Actually, the lock system DOES work that way. The crew and passenger cards are essentially identical, and there are several layers of master key cards. The cabin attendants normally only have keys for the cabins they are assigned (and maybe some in the same zone), but definitely not on different decks. So, as a pp stated, they could issue a card for a certain set of cabins, but they won't do that for a guest, as it is a liability issue.

Actually, the lock system DOES work that way. The crew and passenger cards are essentially identical, and there are several layers of master key cards. The cabin attendants normally only have keys for the cabins they are assigned (and maybe some in the same zone), but definitely not on different decks. So, as a pp stated, they could issue a card for a certain set of cabins, but they won't do that for a guest, as it is a liability issue.

It was a poor choice to say "the lock system does not work that way".

I have no experience with cruise ships, but I will tell you that based on my experience in the hotel industry, I find it very unlikely that anyone at the Guest Services Desk is capable of making a master key to open multiple rooms. The front desk key encoder is usually tied to the Property Management System, and commands are sent electronically to the key encoder. They often don't even have key pads on those encoders to enter room numbers or codes.

With many systems there are separate encoders for the purpose of making a master. Normally these are in the security or engineering office.

I have seen systems where that functionality does exist within the encoder at the front desk, but it always requires an advanced user code (password, etc.). At most hotels, these keys can only be made by one or two people on property. Usually the Director of Security or Chief Engineer.

When you make a key, it has unique ID encoded on it. The person authorized to make a master keeps a log of which key is given to who. When someone says something happened in a room, you interrogate the lock to see which key(s) opened the door. If multiple employees could make master keys, there would be a serious lack of controls.

In the way back days we use to have an "E key" it was locked in a box in the room with the fire control panel, for the Fire department in the event of an emergency. That one actually would unlock the deadbolt. If you didn't answer the door or the phone, we would "E key" the door to make sure you were okay. Unlocking that box took two keys each carried by a different person (and of course the fire department had copies of both)

What I was trying to convey was that it is highly unlikely that a Guest Service Representative would be capable of making in essence a zoned master, and the person who can make masters would not hand one to a guest.

It was poorly phrased, to make it sound like it was a lock system limitation.

It was a poor choice to say "the lock system does not work that way".

I have no experience with cruise ships, but I will tell you that based on my experience in the hotel industry, I find it very unlikely that anyone at the Guest Services Desk is capable of making a master key to open multiple rooms. The front desk key encoder is usually tied to the Property Management System, and commands are sent electronically to the key encoder. They often don't even have key pads on those encoders to enter room numbers or codes.

With many systems there are separate encoders for the purpose of making a master. Normally these are in the security or engineering office.

I have seen systems where that functionality does exist within the encoder at the front desk, but it always requires an advanced user code (password, etc.). At most hotels, these keys can only be made by one or two people on property. Usually the Director of Security or Chief Engineer.

When you make a key, it has unique ID encoded on it. The person authorized to make a master keeps a log of which key is given to who. When someone says something happened in a room, you interrogate the lock to see which key(s) opened the door. If multiple employees could make master keys, there would be a serious lack of controls.

In the way back days we use to have an "E key" it was locked in a box in the room with the fire control panel, for the Fire department in the event of an emergency. That one actually would unlock the deadbolt. If you didn't answer the door or the phone, we would "E key" the door to make sure you were okay. Unlocking that box took two keys each carried by a different person (and of course the fire department had copies of both)

What I was trying to convey was that it is highly unlikely that a Guest Service Representative would be capable of making in essence a zoned master, and the person who can make masters would not hand one to a guest.

It was poorly phrased, to make it sound like it was a lock system limitation.

No worries. For the most part you are correct. A GSR at the desk could not make a master key, but their supervisor could from the office behind Guest Services.

As you say, each card is unique, and crew cards are matched in the system to their personnel data just like the passenger cards. Whenever a card is used to open a door, the lock records the card ID and date/time. Security has readers that can read this data from the lock (back about a year), so if there is a question of missing items, they will look to see who accessed the door and when. If a maintenance card was used, they will then check to see if a maintenance work order is on file for that cabin on that cruise. They will even check to see if a valid crew card (say the cabin attendant) was used during hours when that crew member was off duty.

Based on discussions I've had about security on these boards, apparently HAL's cabin attendant keys will override the deadbolt on the door, for use in emergencies to verify the cabin is empty. NCL has a whole pile of master keys that are kept in the HD's safe, and passed to the crew during an emergency or drill, and these are given to those crew whose duty it is to check cabins for occupants, and these will override the deadbolt. The fire teams also have master card keys, and further "hard keys" that will mechanically open the lock even if the battery is gone or the electronics are melted. I'm not sure of Carnival's exact system for mastering.

Both of us agree that because of possible liability issues, the ship will not give a multiple cabin key to anyone, and the occupant of the cabin would have to agree that a card could be issued to another party (except in the case of parent/child or related minor with documentation). The potential for lawsuit is just too great.

Edited by chengkp75

No worries. For the most part you are correct. A GSR at the desk could not make a master key, but their supervisor could from the office behind Guest Services.

As you say, each card is unique, and crew cards are matched in the system to their personnel data just like the passenger cards. Whenever a card is used to open a door, the lock records the card ID and date/time. Security has readers that can read this data from the lock (back about a year), so if there is a question of missing items, they will look to see who accessed the door and when. If a maintenance card was used, they will then check to see if a maintenance work order is on file for that cabin on that cruise. They will even check to see if a valid crew card (say the cabin attendant) was used during hours when that crew member was off duty.

Based on discussions I've had about security on these boards, apparently HAL's cabin attendant keys will override the deadbolt on the door, for use in emergencies to verify the cabin is empty. NCL has a whole pile of master keys that are kept in the HD's safe, and passed to the crew during an emergency or drill, and these are given to those crew whose duty it is to check cabins for occupants, and these will override the deadbolt. The fire teams also have master card keys, and further "hard keys" that will mechanically open the lock even if the battery is gone or the electronics are melted. I'm not sure of Carnival's exact system for mastering.

Both of us agree that because of possible liability issues, the ship will not give a multiple cabin key to anyone, and the occupant of the cabin would have to agree that a card could be issued to another party (except in the case of parent/child or related minor with documentation). The potential for lawsuit is just too great.

Very interesting. I'll have to look at my cabin door closer. Hotels no longer have any hard keys. Not the worst idea though. My wife and I got locked out of our room at a wedding two weeks ago. On these door sets, the deadbolt was engaged whenever the door was closed. Our lock mechanically malfunctioned (have never seen that before), the key worked and the sensors turned green, but the lever would not engage. I was shocked when the engineer told me that he only had one option, drill through the lock set and deadbolt. The guy in the room next to us, was not happy when they started drilling 8:00am Sunday morning. The engineer and I were reminiscing about all the ways we use to be able to open doors. I bet he wishes they still had a hard key option. I wonder if a hard key would have been bale to engage the lever mechanism?

Very interesting. I'll have to look at my cabin door closer. Hotels no longer have any hard keys. Not the worst idea though. My wife and I got locked out of our room at a wedding two weeks ago. On these door sets, the deadbolt was engaged whenever the door was closed. Our lock mechanically malfunctioned (have never seen that before), the key worked and the sensors turned green, but the lever would not engage. I was shocked when the engineer told me that he only had one option, drill through the lock set and deadbolt. The guy in the room next to us, was not happy when they started drilling 8:00am Sunday morning. The engineer and I were reminiscing about all the ways we use to be able to open doors. I bet he wishes they still had a hard key option. I wonder if a hard key would have been bale to engage the lever mechanism?

Very likely, since the electronic lock only energizes a solenoid to pull back the lock bolt, so there could have been a problem with the electronics (the circuit board recognizes the key card, so the light goes green, but the power to the solenoid is lost.

Generally, onboard, only the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director, Staff Chief Engineer, and Security Officer have hard keys, and the fire team keys are kept in the Staff Captain's safe until an emergency.

Last time we had issues with 1/2 the group being passed out and not being able to wake them by banging on the door, think younger college crowd. Hated to have to keep hunting down our cabin steward to open a door so I could wake someone passed out so they wouldn't miss a tour or an event.

If they are passed out... Maybe it would be a good thing to leave them passed out...

If they miss enough tours or events... they will learn to pace theirselves... especially if it cost them some $$$...

If they are passed out... Maybe it would be a good thing to leave them passed out...

If they miss enough tours or events... they will learn to pace theirselves... especially if it cost them some $$$...

When we were in college and would go out, one guy drove. When he was ready to go, he left. It was on us to keep an eye on him. Plenty of people had to find their way home.

None of us would have woke you up, but it is a kinder world.

I agree.

Drinking = 21+ = adults. Let them wake themselves up.

I totally agree with you. If they are old enough to drink, they are old enough to be responsible for getting places on time. If they aren't old enough to drink and you are the chaperone, you could be leaving yourself wide open for problems. Why do you have to be the babysitter? I know it's none of my business, but I guess I am just nosy.

ok people, before this gets wayyy out of hand, i MERELY asked IF carnival can code serveral door codes onto one key or not. I diddnt want or need a debate on the whys I want them the ability for my group to get up or not, thats basicaly NOT what I asked,, I ddidnt ask for opinions on the ability of my group to do something I asked about the ability / policy of carnival as it relates to doot keys, thats all.

thanks to the original 2 posters for answering my questions this thread should be 1-2 posts long, not going into 2 friggin pages, shesh

Edited by cblzaccie

ok people, before this gets wayyy out of hand, i MERELY asked IF carnival can code serveral door codes onto one key or not. I diddnt want or need a debate on the whys I want them the ability for my group to get up or not, thats basicaly NOT what I asked,, I ddidnt ask for opinions on the ability of my group to do something I asked about the ability / policy of carnival as it relates to doot keys, thats all.

thanks to the original 2 posters for answering my questions this thread should be 1-2 posts long, not going into 2 friggin pages, shesh

Welcome to cruise critic! Ask a simple question. Get the answer in a few posts and wind up with a 10 page thread full of mostly irrelevant nonsense.:(

Now for my irrelevant nonsense.;) Are you charging your cruise buddies for your services? I smell a good entrepreneurial opportunity here!:D

Yeah, sorry about that. Sometimes these things just take off.

Your original question though: It will be easiest to have one person in each room get an extra key, and then let them give it to you. I would guess that is going to involve by far, the least amount of hassle.