This ship? That ship!?! No ship?!? AIIGGHHGH!!!

docd

Hello Cruise Critics!

I am currently researching a Caribbean cruise for the first week in January. My preference is for a southern or eastern itinerary. However, I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to decide. I think I have read too many ship reviews, of which there are plenty of great ones, and some that have real serious issues with the ship or cruise line. I often focus more on the negative reviews when I am looking at anything because I feel they are more honest.

The problem is that at this point I am not sure I want to go on any of the ships! Hair dryers catching fire, urine puddles in the bed, rude staff, lost children and lack lustre meals!! There are plenty of stories like these posted on here. Yikes! It obviously makes no sense to focus too much on the negatives, otherwise I wouldn't step outside my door.

So, I am hoping you can set me straight and point me in the right direction! I'd really like to have decent quality food and not be nickle and dimed with everything else. I also don't want to feel like I am living in an infomercial for 7 days.

There will be three of us, myself and my wife and my 11yo DD (whose interests are more like those of a 50 year old woman).

We were on the Disney Fantasy last year and had a great time. Although, I thought the food was mediocre(:eek:), everything else was fantastic.

So, of these, what would you choose?

Celebrity Summit (southern Caribbean)

Holland America Eurodam or Westerdam (both eastern Caribbean)

Norwegian Epic (western Caribbean) or Pearl (eastern Caribbean)

Princess Ruby (eastern Caribbean)

Royal Caribbean Independence (eastern Caribbean)

I excluded other ships like the Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure because of cost (unless some deals come up soon).

Thanks for any suggestions. This board and it's members were of great help to me planning my last trip.

Edited by docd

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Best advice I could possibly give you---take everything with a grain of salt.

Seriously, find the middle ground in reviews and you will probably be pretty close to the reality.

For me, Royal Carib ships if you are going with a child.

Lots of great things for her today. Still believe they are a great value for your money.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on your final decision.

Debbi

We've taken 3 generations on RCCL cruises. Try the Freedom, Liberty type ship. Much less expensive than Oasis or Allure right now. We love the Southern itinerary, but we also love some of the ports on the Eastern and Western itinerary. These ships have a great kids club, the staff is fabulous and I can assure you we've never encountered urine or anything else scary bad on one of their ships. We have a couple of kids that fall into the 11 year old going on 50. They chose not to go to the kids club and found plenty of fun things to do on the ship. There's a miniature golf course, rock climbing wall, basketball court, pools, watching the flow rider is great fun, even if you aren't participating. The food in the MDR and Windjammer are not 5-Star meals but we've never failed to find good food and plenty of it. The staff have always catered to the kids in our group and made them feel really special.

Although I've never sailed on the Summit, I've sailed on other Celebrity ships . Frankly I love the ships, the decor is beautiful, the artwork abundant and the food is above par. But, truth is that Celebrity tends to draw an older crowd and they are not as geared to younger cruisers as some other cruiselines. I'm in my mid fifties and I was on the younger side of average. For that fact alone, your daughter might be bored, unless she is looking for a ship full of grandparents and great grandparents to spoil her.;).

Two suggestions I would make. First, try to identify ports that the thee of you you might like to see and use this as a tool to narrow your search. Depending on the cruise, you can get all the excitement you need on shore excursions.

My second suggestion is to do some research. Search around this site for some of the daily newsletters from each of ships you are looking at. (Beyondships dot com is another site with a lot of information usually including menus and a smple of dailies). These will give you a real good idea of the scope of activities that will be available onboard. Also, check out the menus and deck plans. With a little research, you can discover a lot about what to expect on each ship.

Have fun.

I would pick almost any of them , Westerdam is a real nice ship but a little on the small side, I would pick Liberty over other ships , much more to do, great ice show etc etc. I find Princess ships a little more crowded than the others even though it is smaller than RCCL. I dislike NCL, Celebrity is nice if you hate smoking.

Wow, with all those negative reviews out there, why would anybody ever get back on a cruise ship again. For every negative review posted, there are 999 people that had a good time and don’t feel compelled to make sure the world knows they had a good time.

I have found that customer satisfaction is tied directly to customer expectations. Every now and then you run into somebody that does experience a genuine problem and not all can be fixed as quickly as they would like. And then there are a few people that complain just to hear the sound of their own voice.

While we haven’t cruise often, we have cruised over a period of time. We have noticed that the food now served in the additive cost specialty restaurants used to be the standard fare in the MDR. We feel that the typical MDR meal mimics the food found in most of the better restaurants ashore with the specialty restaurants mimicking most upscale establishments. At the end of the day, a meal aboard a cruise ship is one I didn’t shop for, didn’t cook, didn’t clean up after and is almost always something we don’t regularly eat at home.

1) Shop the itinerary that gets you where you want to go.

2) Shop the ship that will offer your daughter the experience you would like her to have.

3) Shop the price that best gets you 1 & 2

4) Take the ship that 1 thru 3 happens to satisfy.

You will eventually discover, after you have cruised a few times, what appeals to you in a cruise line. They each have a different flavor and nobody offers the Disney experience but Disney. Royal Caribbean generally offers more activities that would appeal to soon-to-be young adults. Norwegian may be a little too “Free Style” and the others tend to be serve a slightly older population. We happen to like the Princess product right now.

You are still a cruise rookie and you are over thinking the process. You are cruising during the Christmas break. Airfare is inflated, cruise prices are inflated and your choices will dwindle the longer you agonize over this. Get `r done!

Hello Cruise Critics!

I am currently researching a Caribbean cruise for the first week in January. My preference is for a southern or eastern itinerary. However, I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to decide. I think I have read too many ship reviews, of which there are plenty of great ones, and some that have real serious issues with the ship or cruise line. I often focus more on the negative reviews when I am looking at anything because I feel they are more honest.

The problem is that at this point I am not sure I want to go on any of the ships! Hair dryers catching fire, urine puddles in the bed, rude staff, lost children and lack lustre meals!! There are plenty of stories like these posted on here. Yikes! It obviously makes no sense to focus too much on the negatives, otherwise I wouldn't step outside my door.

There will be three of us, myself and my wife and my 11yo DD (whose interests are more like those of a 50 year old woman).

We were on the Disney Fantasy last year and had a great time. Although, I thought the food was mediocre(:eek:), everything else was fantastic.

So, of these, what would you choose?

Celebrity Summit (southern Caribbean)

Holland America Eurodam or Westerdam (both eastern Caribbean)

Norwegian Epic (western Caribbean) or Pearl (eastern Caribbean)

Princess Ruby (eastern Caribbean)

Royal Caribbean Independence (eastern Caribbean)

I excluded other ships like the Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure because of cost (unless some deals come up soon).

Thanks for any suggestions. This board and it's members were of great help to me planning my last trip.

I can only comment on Holland America (HAL). Here is a link to July 2014 photographs aboard the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/On-Board-10-2-14.pdf

Room service is 24/7 and free on Holland America. You can also bring as much soda as you wish (checked or carry-on luggage)

Here are scanned PDF files of the HAL Specialty, Beverage, and Room Service menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

You daughter will love the HAL kids program of video games, movies, cooking classes, scavenger hunts, dance classes, ships tours, team events, etc.

The Westerdam is a bit smaller than the Eurodam. If you chose an aft corner suite, your verandah will hold 30 fellow passengers with a 270-degree view.

Hope this helps.

Price / cost is always the deciding factor for me when everything else seems equal. Don't forget to factor in the costs of getting to the port into your thinking.

For example: we cruise out of NYC a lot because the cost of a drive to the port plus the higher cabin cost is usually cheaper than a drive to the airport, with parking, a flight to Florida, a hotel in Florida the day before plus the cruise.

As for the bad reviews you can find them anywhere. Even your beloved Disney gets stuff wrong once in a while.

Hello Docd,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Of the cruise lines you mentioned I would definitely recommend the Holland America Line Eurodam. This is a beautiful ship, we love HAL for their extremely friendly crews, excellent service and elegant ships.

HAL ships tend to slow down around 10 pm once the late production show ends there's not a whole lot going on.

We also really enjoyed the Celebrity Summit, a smaller ship, recently

"Solsticized" refurbished with the latest amenities of the new Solstice Class of ships. In some ways it's like being aboard a new ship.

We are great fans of Royal Caribbean too. We've only sailed with them once on Explorer but, have two more booked in the next three months. Independence of the Seas will offer up a bevy of activities to keep you busy throughout your week long cruise. Great friendly crews, good food and lovely, modern ships.

Any of these three would be perfect. Eurodam or Independence my preferences. However, I did do a quick search and discovered that the new Princess Line Regal Princess is doing a series of 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruises starting January 4th from Fort Lauderdale with stops in Princess Cays (Private Island), St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

The Regal looks absolutely gorgeous and this would be my personal choice out of the bunch. This is a brand new ship, extremely elegant, I think you would be very happy with this choice.

Regal Princess - brand new ship, elegance and a lot of on board activites.

HAL Eurodam - Old world style, top-notch crew and excellent food.

RCCL Independence - Modern, massive liner with elegance and a bevy of choices.

Celebrity Summit: Smaller, intimate, newly renovated, lovely ship.

Enjoy deciding and have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Hello Cruise Critics!

I often focus more on the negative reviews when I am looking at anything because I feel they are more honest.

The problem is that at this point I am not sure I want to go on any of the ships! Hair dryers catching fire, urine puddles in the bed, rude staff, lost children and lack lustre meals!!

Oh my, over a dozen cruises and have not run into anything that you describe. :confused:

I wonder if perhaps you should stop reading reviews altogether? Not sure why you think they are "honest", I find they negative ones are usually people who are upset and they will go to extremes to let that be known.

I've loved ever cruise I've been on and guess how many reviews I've posted? Zero. Which is quite typical of people who are happy with a service. ;)

Of the options you listed, they are all fine. Pick one and go on your cruise with your rose-colored glasses and you will have a lovely time. :)

Lol. Ok, maybe I sounded a bit crazy, but I assure you I am not! I do have a bad habit of paying attention to every detail when it comes to planning. As for reading negative reviews, for me, it's always been much more informative when shopping. Fewer reviews to read and less shills to worry about. Oftentimes the negative reviews are just silly, but occasionally there is one or two that will make me reconsider buying something. I will admit, many of the negative reviews on this site are based on frivolous things or the person is an obvious "crank". However, a hair dryer catching fire and getting an apathetic response to the event by the staff is very serious IMO.

Anyway, I digress....

I should have pointed out that this particular trip is spur of the moment. Which also means a tighter budget. We decided we should surprise my daughter with a trip for Christmas this year instead of buying a bunch of things she really doesn't need. So, all those ships I listed were based soley on price, including flights. So many options were excluded due to flight costs and the interior/oceanview cabins being sold out.

nhsails and griffy116
I think you're probably right about RCI. Those ships look great and were at the top of my list at first. However, after thinking about it a bit, I know my daughter would also appreciate a more "sophisticated" environment (sorry, I am not sure how else to describe it) so I thought I should re-evaluate.

capecodmercury
I really don't think my family would mind an older crowd. I think if the food was excellent and the interior was extravagent enough, that would make it worthwhile. As for ports, my options are limited based on my budget and timing. I might reconsider when we go, which will change everything, but I just don't think that is as exciting as saying "Guess what, we are going on a cruise in two weeks!". Also, thanks for the link to that site. I am still going through all the photo albums. It's great.

George C
The Westerdam is a nice looking ship! I believe HAL is my parents favorite line. Unfortunately, the Liberty is not an option for me at this time. However, the Independence is! Definitely a fun looking ship. What was your experience with NCL?

RSLeesburg
I do have the RCI Jewel in my list. The price is just over my budget though :( I am hoping for a slightly lower rate. It would definitely be a top choice for me. The southern Caribbean seems so much nicer!

MSN-Travelers
I do understand your point with respect to the reviews. Many of the bad reviews aren't really based on anything serious IMO. It's easy to spot those people who expect way too much and probably complain about every little thing all the time. Also, every company has some bad staff, everyone has a bad day, etc.. etc.. so that always needs to be taken into account. However, there are a few reviews that will really make you wonder what the heck was going on.

I honestly don't have very high expectations for the food on these inexpensive cruise lines. Like I mentioned, I really didn't think the food on the Disney Fantasy was anything special, but many people rated it quite highly. That's fine, I admit that I am a bit of a snob when it comes to food. I am also realistic and was content with what I got for the price I paid. Regardless, I'd imagine that there must be one or two mid-range cruise lines that come out ahead when it comes to food.

I appreciate your advice. I think all ships have merits that my family will appreciate. I was just fishing for a few tidbits to sway me one way or another.

What in particular do you like about Princess?

Crew News
Thanks for sharing those photographs. Nice looking ship!

trish1c
This is all based on price :) I took into account the flights, and I just assumed that the cost of getting to the port would be similar. Although, I suppose I should investigate that a bit more. I also rechecked some New York departures. The flights to New York will always be cheaper for me. I am still considering a December cruise and there are two that leave from New York that fit my budget.

cruiserking
Excellent description of the ships. It was very helpful. Thanks! I did look at the Regal and who wouldn't want to sail on that! Unfortunately, it's currently a little outside my budget. I am watching it though. Maybe I'll get lucky with a price drop!

Lerin
Ha! I am glad to hear that you never had any issues. I am confident that most people won't. If they did, we would all surely know about it.

What I meant by honest is probably more relevant in the context of a product review. For example, if you're shopping for a coffee maker and read 100+ reviews, a handful of which are negative, my experience has been those negative reviews are typically genuine. That doesn't mean the positive ones aren't, but I will tell you, there are many that are completely phoney. Sure, someone can write a fake negative review too, but that doesn't seem to be as common. Now, that may not apply to the reviews here. I've read many and can't say that I've spotted anything that seems dishonest. Also, even though someone might get angry and complain about the silliest of things, they are still being honest regardless of how ridiculous they are.

I will definitely do as you suggest. Believe me, I don't go on vacation and let the little things bother me :) So, tell me which one to pick!!:D

I often focus more on the negative reviews // Hair dryers catching fire, urine puddles in the bed, rude staff, lost children and lack lustre meals!! There are plenty of stories like these posted on here. .

We're all guilty of focussing on the negatives - human nature I guess.;)

But as other posters have commented, you have to take any review - good or bad - with a pinch of salt and go by where the middle-ground lies.

If a significant number of reviewers come up with the same problems then clearly there's some truth in it.

Any single comment of significance will get me scanning other reviews for similar comments - but if I find none, I ignore. A one-off? A fussy reviewer? A reviewer with an axe to grind? A complete nutter?

I rate Celebrity a cut above, especially food.

I rate Princess as quite demure, compared to the others.

I rate RCI the most "fun" line amongst those you've quoted.

I rate HAL as focussing more on an older generation.

NCL I've not sailed, but I get the impression it's more relaxed, more informal, more laid-back. Always been put off by the many comments about squeezing the customer to spend, spend, spend - the number of premium-pay restaurants kinda reinforces that.

I reckon my views in line with the majority - but there are always folk with different opinions.

JB :)

Well, as one OCD person to another, I feel your pain!

We never ever thought we would book a cruise, but we did. We leave in 2 days for our first!

The big issue for us was that my husband is an athlete and had surgery to repair an injury this summer. Well, healing has been slow, and he is driving me crazy! He is really miserable. I needed to get him out to do something and a cruise seemed to be the cheapest option and totally outside of our normal vacation box. We usually dive dive dive every trip, but he is not allowed yet. So a cruise and just some relaxing days at sea with a few stops to snorkel at a beach are going to be the ticket. He is finally excited about it, too.

So, what I have learned so far.... just go and have fun. No trip is perfect. Make the most of it. Go somewhere you have always wanted to see or do something on an excursion you would never do otherwise.

The way I look at it.... its new for us, its going someplace we have never been, and it is an adventure. Win win win.

The Westerdam is a nice looking ship! I believe HAL is my parents favorite line. Unfortunately, the Liberty is not an option for me at this time. However, the Independence is! Definitely a fun looking ship. What was your experience with NCL?

Liberty and Independence area sister ships with all the same stuff. We did like Westerdam and have done several cruises on Hal, but ship is dead after 11pm, just so much more to do on RCCL, ice show is great, just many more options for daytime or evening.

I used to love NCL food went down hill and we dislike the anytime dinning which is only option, also had some jewelry "missing" from our cabin, I had done 13 cruises on NCL but there will not be a 14th

I rate Celebrity a cut above, especially food.

I rate Princess as quite demure, compared to the others.

I rate RCI the most "fun" line amongst those you've quoted.

I rate HAL as focussing more on an older generation.

NCL I've not sailed, but I get the impression it's more relaxed, more informal, more laid-back. Always been put off by the many comments about squeezing the customer to spend, spend, spend - the number of premium-pay restaurants kinda reinforces that.

I reckon my views in line with the majority - but there are always folk with different opinions.

docd, My opinions mirror JB almost exactly. In fact, I recommend the cruises listed in that same exact order based on what little info I know from your couple posts on this thread.

The only thing I'll add is, I have sailed NCL numerous times and JB's perception of NCL is right on the money. If you weren't overwhelmed by Disney food, you'll hate NCL food.

About the order in which I recommend these ships, if onboard live entertainment is a huge factor for you, I would move Independence up to the top of that list. The ice shows are amazing.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Docd,

Based on your daughter's preference I think the Eurodam is a great choice. We did a short 3-day intro cruise in 2008 and really fell in love with this ship.

The Tamarind Asian specialty restaurant is terrific as well as the adjacent Silk Den, a wonderful spot for a pre- or post evening cocktail.

Holland America Line is a classic, old world experience with excellent food and some of the friendliest crews on the high seas, they will remember your name in the Lido, that's something. I met Captain Scott on the Noordam during a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and he addressed by name several days later.

We love HAL and I'm quite sure you and you're family will as well.

Jonathan

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. It's much appreciated.

It looks like we may have shifted some timing and that changes things quite a bit. If we decide to pull the trigger it's likely going to be an oceanview on the RCI Freedom of the Seas due to logistics and price. Although, the Celebrity Reflection ($465 more total for a balcony) and the HAL Westerdam ($200 more total) may still be on the table.

I also have to be in Orlando for a few days after the cruise. So, that means travel from Miami or Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. Although, it looks to me like the travel cost form Port Canaveral to Orlando is about the same. I need to look into that more in depth.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. It's much appreciated.

It looks like we may have shifted some timing and that changes things quite a bit. If we decide to pull the trigger it's likely going to be an oceanview on the RCI Freedom of the Seas due to logistics and price. Although, the Celebrity Reflection ($465 more total for a balcony) and the HAL Westerdam ($200 more total) may still be on the table.

I also have to be in Orlando for a few days after the cruise. So, that means travel from Miami or Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. Although, it looks to me like the travel cost form Port Canaveral to Orlando is about the same. I need to look into that more in depth.

You can drive from PC to Orlando in an hour. I think it's maybe 2-2.5 hour drive from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, and Miami is maybe 4 hour drive (?). If you need to be in Orlando, I would lean towards PC as a departure port. Freedom has tons to do, but Celebrity is a great choice too. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either :).

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

an oceanview on the RCI Freedom of the Seas due to logistics and price. Although, the Celebrity Reflection ($465 more total for a balcony) and the HAL Westerdam ($200 more total) may still be on the table.

The value of a balcony depends on how much use you're going to be able to make of it. The Caribbean is a great part of the world to have a balcony - but if your cruise is port-intensive, it'll be wasted during your time ashore.

First few cruises we chose ocean-view, preferring to spend the savings on other things. After our first cruise with a balcony, returning to an ocean-view kinda feels like slumming-it. :(

But presuming this is your first cruise, you'll enjoy even if you book a hammock hung over the engines. ;)

JB :)

I too am like and tend to focus on negative reviews (drive husband crazy). We went on a western Caribbean in April 2014, on the Epic, and LOVED IT! like I said I too read a lot of negative about this ship and was terrified. We had the most amazing time. Norwiegn free style cruise (I.e. Food) was great. Good food and lots to chose from. Not just dress up nice and be told where and whom to sit with or Buffett. I recommend NCL Epic. Don't stress and have a wonderful time. Oh and stop reading negative posts. Only unhappy people post not everyone is unhappy with their experience. Hope this help. :)

Some people will find something to complain about regardless of where they are. Focus instead on what you hope to see and do on your cruise, then plan accordingly.

Cruising is a great way to build family relationships. Go and have a great time!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We ended up booking RCI Freedom of the Seas for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. It will be great I am sure! Although, technically, the website isn't working and I haven't actually paid for anything, so who knows what will actually happen, lol! I called RCI a couple of times and they assured me it would be OK.

We ended up choosing this ship primarily due to the timing and port. Originally I was planning a January trip, but we decided it would be best to just switch it to coincide with a conference trip my wife will be on in December in Orlando. So it made the most sense to just stick with Port Canaveral. Also, the current rates on this cruise are really good so it was a pretty easy decision to make.

Thanks again for all of your input. I truly appreciate it.